Ray is a Global Partner and the Head of Dorsey’s Beijing Office, qualified to practice in both the State of New York and the People’s Republic of China.
Ray concentrates on international and commercial litigations and arbitrations, primarily those involving cross-border and extraterritorial disputes. His practice areas also include cross-border M&A, PE investments, technology commerce, intellectual property rights, foreign direct investment, general corporate and employment matters, financial services, banking, and insurance laws as well as cybersecurity, data privacy, and regulatory compliance.
Before joining Dorsey, Ray worked for the Legal Department at the New York Branch of a major Chinese bank, focusing in the areas of financial projects, U.S. bank regulation, litigation management, legal processing, trademark, and fraud investigation.
Education & Admissions
Vanderbilt University Law School (LL.M., 2011), Dean’s List (all semesters), Law & Business Certificate
China University of Political Science and Law (LL.B., 2009), Outstanding Student Awards, Scholarship of Excellent Student
Oxford University, Oriel College (Summer Program in Common Law and European Law, 2007), Distinguished Award
- New York
- China (currently inactive)
- Fluent in English and Mandarin Chinese
- Represented Fortune Global 500 companies in a wide range of corporate governance, commercial transactions, foreign direct investment, government investigation, and regulatory compliance matters.
- Represented CITIC Agri Fund Management Co., Ltd. and CIC Capital Corporation in their proposed acquisition of major global agribusiness assets.
- Represented U.S. subsidiaries of Xinjiang Guanghui Industry Investment (Group) Co., Ltd. in their investments and project developments in the U.S.
- Advised Minmetals Development Co., Ltd., China National Minerals Co., Ltd. and China National Metal Products Co., Ltd. on legal and regulatory issues relating to certain cross-border share purchasing and credit facility transactions.
- Advised Beijing ByteDance Network Technology Co., Ltd. (“Jinri Toutiao”) on its cross-border commercial and IP related matters.
- Represented the Scoular Company, a leading U.S.-based agricultural marketing company, in its acquisition of the Special Crops Division of Legumex Walker Inc.
- Represented major Chinese insurance companies on cross-border regulatory compliance matters and PE investment transactions.
- Represented China Pacific Property Insurance Co., Ltd. in its recent venture capital and strategic investment in San Francisco-based Metromile, the leader in pay-per-mile car insurance in the United States.
- Represented virtual reality and e-sport companies in Silicon Valley on U.S. business formation, corporate, IP and cross-border legal and regulatory issues.
- Represented a leading global commercial real estate company in a global acquisition deal in Asia; managed and supervised the due diligence project concerning the PRC entities of the target group.
- Advised mainland China and Hong Kong SAR based clients and start-up entities in business formation and corporate transaction matters in the U.S.
- Represented Fortune Global 500 companies in a variety of commercial litigation and arbitration matters in mainland China and Hong Kong SAR.
- Represented leading Chinese academics in filing an amicus brief in the high-profile “Vitamin C Antitrust Litigation” case before the Supreme Court of the United States (Animal Science Products, Inc. v. Hebei Welcome Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd., Sup. Ct. No. 16-1220).
- Represented major Chinese banks in handling U.S. litigation, fraud investigation, anti-money laundering, counter-terrorist financing and bank regulatory matters in the State of New York.
- Handled and managed one of the largest e-discovery and document review projects in China on behalf of an international bank based in China in a series of high-profile civil litigations in federal and state courts of the United States.
- Represented a Chinese company and its executives in a securities litigation lawsuit in the United States District Court, Northern District of California. In the first such case ever, helped the Chinese company and its executives obtain a complete dismissal of the lawsuit and also collect damages and legal fees from the lawyers who sued the company.
- Represented a Chinese company in breach of contract claims in a Georgia state court and won a US$12.6 million judgment on behalf of the client.
- Represented a major international insurance company based in China and its insureds in numerous product liability, tort liability and wrongful death cases and insurance coverage litigation cases in the United States and Canada.
- Represented CITIC Agri Fund Management Co., Ltd. and Yuan Longping High-Tech Agriculture Co., Ltd. in handling major cross-border disputes.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Keynote speaker: Management of Law Firms in an International Perspective - Lawyer Training Session at Shaanxi Provincial Bar Association, Xi'an China, October 2018
- One of the Only 10 Representative Speakers in the Country invited by PRC State Council: 2018 “State Council’s Major Inspection” – Public Hearing event with the management and representatives of “Three Major Telecom Operators in China” (i.e., China Mobile, China Telecom and China Unicom), live-streamed and broadcast by all major media in China, The General Office of PRC State Council, Beijing China, September 2018
- Keynote speaker: Coping with the US-China Trade Uncertainties – Managing Compliance Risks in the Search for Tariff and Customs Solutions, AmCham China, Beijing China, August 2018
- Keynote speaker: Marching Ahead! - Management Mechanism and Business Development Initiatives for China Offices of International Law Firms - The 4th National Conference and Forum for “Post-80” Managing Partners of Law Firms, Shenzhen China, August 2018
- Guest speaker: The Theme of the New Era – Technology Development, Cybersecurity and Regulatory Environment in China, Computer and Technology Law Counsel, Minnesota State Bar Association, Minneapolis, MN USA, April 2018
- Keynote speaker: Algorithms & Exploitative Abuse in Competition Law, Peking University-University of Tokyo Law and AI Forum – Legal Regulation of Artificial Intelligence, Peking University Law School, Beijing China, March 2018
- Guest speaker: Trends of Innovation in Foreign Law Firms in China, China Law Firm Management Summit Forum, Beijing China, January 2018
- Keynote speaker: China Outbound Investment into Europe Legal Professional Seminar Summit, together with Prof. Zhou Hanmin, Vice Chairman of the CPPCC Shanghai and other nation-renowned experts, Shanghai China, March 2017
- New York CLE seminar guest speaker: Company Computers Under Attack: Big Dollars and Private Data Are Being Stolen Every Day: What Are You Doing About it?, Dorsey & Whitney LLP, New York City, NY USA, April 2016
- Keynote speaker: Understanding Chinese Law in its Historical Context, International Law Society, Vanderbilt University Law School, Nashville, TN USA, April 2011
- Keynote speaker: Introduction to the Legal System of the PRC, American Inns of Court, Nashville, TN USA, March 2011
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Blockchain & Digital Assets
- Commercial Litigation
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Development & Infrastructure
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Foreign Banks and Financial Institutions
- International Arbitration & Litigation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Professional & Civic
- Member, American Bar Association (ABA)
- Member, New York State Bar Association (NYSBA)
- Member, New York County Lawyers’ Association (NYCLA)
- Director, International Law School Alumni Association of the China University of Political Science and Law
- China’s Professional Qualification for Securities Business (PRC Securities Qualification)