Named 2014 Life Sciences & Health Care Law Firm of the Year, Dorsey has a long and prominent reputation for providing sophisticated and effective legal counsel to leading health care companies. We take great pride in being a premiere health care law firm.
Our clients – hospitals, pharmacies, clinics, device and drug manufacturers, and insurance and services companies, among others – receive Dorsey’s deep and committed industry knowledge with practical and efficient legal advice. They get the best of both worlds – boutique industry focus with the depth of a large law firm. For life sciences clients we provide comprehensive legal representation throughout the entire product life cycle to companies developing innovative products and services to the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, agri-science, and medical device industries.
If your business operates in the rapidly changing health care world, you need more than just legal counsel. You need to stay well ahead – identifying and addressing your company’s risks and opportunities.
Fraud and Abuse
- On behalf of one of the country’s largest health insurers, interacted with governmental agencies on over 30 fraud and abuse matters.
- Represented hospital system in defending Department of Justice allegations of billing fraud, resulting in no claims or action taken.
- Regularly guide health care providers through the OIG self-disclosure process arising from Medicare billing issues, recruitment arrangements, Stark violations involving lease arrangements and physician recruitment arrangements, and the hiring of individuals excluded from federal health care programs.
- Represented pharmaceutical manufacturers in settlement agreements with the Department of Justice involving anti-kickback allegations.
Privacy & Security
- A large nationwide health plan client turned to Dorsey to handle the amendment of hundreds of business associate agreements following the enactment of the HITECH Act
- Dorsey has represented healthcare providers and health plans in connection with investigations under HIPAA conducted by the Department of Health and Human Services – Office of Civil Rights.
- Dorsey regularly assists clients with drafting website policies that are HIPAA-compliant.
- Represent covered entities and business associates in assessing and addressing breach incidents and investigations and the class action lawsuits that often follow.
Health Care Transactions
- Created a corporate and contracting structure for ExceleraRx Corp. a national network of health system-based specialty pharmacies.
- Represented multi-specialty physician group in development and opertion of a joint-venture hospital.
- Represented national chain pharmacy in renegotiation of drug wholesaler contract.
- Lead health counsel for OptumHealth Care Solutions, Inc. in its acquisition of OrthoNet Holdings, Inc.
- Lead health counsel for Collaborative Care Holdings, LLC in its acquisitions of ProHEALTH Medical Management, LLC and WESTMED Practice Partners LLC.
- Lead health counsel to United HealthCare Services, Inc. in its acquisition of the rights to renew certain commercial administrative services business and health insurance membership in the States of Georgia, Indiana and South Carolina.
- Represented tax exempt healthcare system in Northwest in formation of joint venture, negotiation of professional services agreement and management agreement with for profit retail pharmacy to operate retail clinic staffed with advanced practice nurse professionals provided by health care system.
- Represented numerous multi-hospital healthcare systems on joint ventures with physicians related to diagnostic imaging and ambulatory surgery centers.
- Represent multi-hospital healthcare system in the formation of a joint venture with physical therapy providers.
- Represented a Midwest hospital system and a Northwest hospital system to create a cardiovascular service line “institute” in Midwest and Northwest providing professional services and management services for hospital’s cardiovascular service line.
- Represented healthcare system in Northwest to create a joint venture with a national retail pharmacy to open walk-in clinics staffed by advanced practice providers.
- Represent numerous healthcare systems to obtain fair market value support for utilization reviews, call coverage, acquisitions, joint ventures and other integration strategies.
- Represented a leading provider of rehabilitation management services located in the South to structure relationships with advanced practice providers to comply with fraud and abuse, corporate practice of medicine and scope of practice and supervision requirements in many states.
Health Information Technology
- Represented a leading provider of medical equipment management and service solutions to the US health care industry in the negotiation of the purchase of a payroll and HR software-as-a-service tool.
- Successfully resolved two meaningful use audits.
- Represented a large Minnesota-based public company in connection with the drafting and negotiation of a master services agreement (including software-as-a-service for certain tools used in the services) for the implementation, delivery and transition of use of business process outsourcing services by its health care provider customer.
- On behalf of first-of-its-kind state health information exchange, negotiated master service and license agreement and statements of work for setting up the a hosted exchange with a major software vendor, and general representation of exchange in consulting services agreements and additional licensing for add on features.
- Represented multiple providers in Iowa in connection with the implementation of their electronic health records systems and ancillary agreements with a variety of electronic health record vendors, including Meditech, LSS, Epic, McKesson, and DrFirst.
- Represent US manufacturers of implantable cardiac products in international product distribution, license, joint development of intellectual property and regulatory matters.
Industries & Practices
- Antitrust & Competition Law
- Benefits & Compensation
- ERISA Litigation
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations
- Health Litigation
- Health Transactions & Regulations
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Non-Profit & Tax Exempt Organizations
- Public Finance