WITH DEEP AND BROAD EXPERIENCE, DORSEY IS STRUCTURED TO HELP CLIENTS BUILD ANY DEVELOPMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECT.
Click here to read Development & Infrastructure's Fourth Quarter 2022 Magazine.
More than 130 Dorsey lawyers comprise the firm’s Development & Infrastructure Industry Group, representing public and private entities in all phases of their projects - from planning, designing, developing, financing, and constructing to owning, operating and resolving disputes. With a depth of knowledge and talent across multiple disciplines, Dorsey uses its resources to help clients navigate the legal, financial, business, and political complexities and nuances that move projects forward.
Built around long-established and prominent real estate and construction practices, the Development & Infrastructure Industry Group includes attorneys who focus on a variety of practices including Real Estate and Land Use, Construction & Design, Public-Private Partnerships, Construction Litigation, Insurance Law, Environmental Law, Finance & Restructuring, Public Finance, Project Development & Finance, and Energy Law.
We have represented most of the largest real estate developers in the Midwest and have advised clients across the United States on development projects of all sizes and in all major sectors, including:
- Single and Mixed-Use Developments
- Higher Education, Healthcare and Hospitality
- Stadiums & Sporting Facilities
- Transportation and Airports
- Civil Infrastructure
- Energy and Mining
- Water Treatment and Environmental Services
We have extensive experience in the areas of insurance law and regulation, insurance coverage counseling and insurance litigation. Our skilled lawyers provide critically important counseling at the outset of any potential coverage situation to ensure our clients' rights are fully protected. We also help clients resolve disputes in a variety of complex insurance coverage matters. Read more here.
- Building an award-winning transit hub at Target Field
- Coralville, Iowa, completes mixed use development through public-private partnership
- Minnesota wins with new Vikings stadium
- Xcel Energy’s wind energy projects to benefit customers and the environment
- Kvaerner ASA wins $74 million arbitration award
- Represented numerous national developers in all aspects of project development of all product types throughout the United States, including joint ventures, acquisition and assemblage, entitlements, financing, leasing, construction, and disposition.
- Engaged as outside P3 counsel to Regional Transportation District for the Eagle P3 Project in Denver. Dorsey’s legal team is assisting the RTD during the execution phase of this Design-Build-Finance-Operate-Maintain Concession Agreement and the engagement includes all necessary transactional, claims, litigation support to the RTD in getting this project to completion.
- Represented a multi-national corporation in the development, construction and financing of a corporate headquarters campus containing offices and R&D facilities.
- Represented a Fortune 100 insurance company in connection with the acquisition, financing, development and construction of two Tier III data centers.
- Represented project-company in connection with $423 million project financing (equity, subordinated debt and senior debt) and development of three 100-million gallon ethanol facilities, located in Indiana, Nebraska and Ohio.
- Represented Swiss investment bank involved in construction financing for a US$5 billion artificial island development in Qatar.
- Represented developer/borrower in connection with the structuring, negotiation and implementation of a $2.5 billion revolving construction credit facility, utilized to finance the construction of 14 state-of-the-art, natural gas-fired power plants located throughout the United States.
- Represented international infrastructure company in connection with the development of a port and associated infrastructure facilities in India.
- Represented Kvaerner North America in AAA arbitration proceedings, state court and bankruptcy proceedings concerning design, delay and defect claims totaling approximately $1 billion arising out of the construction of a super-critical coal fired power facility.
- Represented URS Corp. in more than 120 wrongful death and personal injury lawsuits brought by individuals and a breach of contract claim brought by the State of Minnesota following the collapse of an interstate highway bridge in Minneapolis. The case settled on terms favorable to our client.
- Defended a contractor hired to provide the curtain wall system in the Bronx Criminal Courthouse in complex construction defect and delay litigation involving over 40 parties and alleged damages in excess of $500 million; case settled with the owner of the property dismissing its $120 million claim against our client and agreeing to a favorable settlement.
- Served as lead trial counsel for national design-builder in a jury trial arising out of the design, construction and expansion of a data center for a Fortune 50 company. Through a combination of settlement proceeds, the jury’s apportionment of fault among the parties and the design-builder’s own coverage, the design-builder was made whole.