Multiple complicated regulatory schemes, enterprise-threatening litigation and cultural hurdles to completing transactions are just a few of the challenges that face foreign banks and financial institutions doing business in the United States. Legal counsel required to overcome those challenges must not only be sophisticated, but must be versed in the regulatory and litigation subtleties that help foreign banks and financial institutions achieve success in a wide variety of business scenarios.
Dorsey represents a wide variety of foreign financial institutions, including leading banks in China, Latin America, Europe, Canada and other financial centers. Major areas of focus in Dorsey’s foreign bank and financial institutions practice include:
Dorsey’s experienced team works with foreign banks and other financial institutions to comply with ever-increasing regulatory burdens in order to achieve business success in the U.S. and around the world. Areas of primary concern to our foreign clients include:
- U.S. and international prudential regulation;
- Examination and supervision before the Federal Reserve Board, the OCC and New York and California Banking Departments;
- Bank Secrecy Act, Anti-Money Laundering and U.S. Patriot Act compliance;
- OFAC compliance and related matters;
- Complying with other state and federal regulatory schemes that impact the operations of foreign financial institutions doing business in the U.S.
Dorsey’s litigation team has extensive experience in representing the particular needs of foreign banks and financial institutions that are sued in U.S courts, and understand the nuances of both the U.S. court system and the client’s business operations, including the foreign client’s home office perspectives.
Importantly, Dorsey has represented some of the largest global foreign banks and financial institutions in extremely sensitive litigation matters brought in the U.S. Dorsey’s litigation practice covers a range of matters including complex class actions, representation of sovereign nations, U.S. and international commercial lending and contract disputes, UCC cases, business torts, and bankruptcy matters.
- Drafted living wills and revisions for foreign banks and U.S. bank subsidiaries
- Assisting foreign banks to prepare for examination by the OCC and the FRB
- Representation of a foreign bank in threatened Bank Secrecy Act enforcement action
- Advice for structuring prudential regulations for U.S. operations
- Structuring compliance program for Volcker Rule
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Consumer Financial Services
- Corporate Trust Services
- Financial Services Regulatory
- Lending Transactions
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement