BETH ADVISES AND REPRESENTS FIRMS AND INDIVIDUALS IN THEIR MOST SENSITIVE CRIMINAL AND CIVIL MATTERS. FROM FCPA INVESTIGATIONS TO GOVERNMENT LITIGATION TO COMPLEX COMMERCIAL DISPUTES, CLIENTS TRUST BETH TO APPLY GOOD JUDGMENT AND PURSUE THE BEST POSSIBLE OUTCOME FOR THEM.
In her white collar and corporate investigations practice, Beth plans and conducts effective internal investigations and represents those under investigation by federal or state authorities for securities fraud, health care fraud, mortgage fraud, public corruption, and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA") violations. Beth also routinely provides anti-corruption/FCPA due diligence and compliance advisory services, including program development, board presentations, and employee training. Beth’s approach to investigations is to quickly and accurately define the scope of the issue; her goal is to help clients fully resolve the issue at hand without wasting their resources. In her civil practice, Beth focuses on complex commercial disputes and government litigation, drawing on her background as a certified public accountant (her license is on inactive status) to help clients resolve matters involving complex accounting, securities, and other financial issues. Beth also serves on Dorsey’s Management Committee.
Education & Admissions
University of St. Thomas School of Law (J.D., 2006), magna cum laude; Editor-in-Chief, University of St. Thomas Law Journal
Drake University (B.S., Accounting, 2000), cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, Diana E. Murphy
- Represented a safety equipment company in a DOJ FCPA investigation involving its operations in Mexico, which DOJ closed without assessing penalties or fines, and without public disclosure of the investigation.
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of a wellness company with respect to transactions involving potential FCPA violations in Italy, Russia, and former Soviet Republic countries.
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of a professional consulting company with respect to a transaction involving a potential FCPA violation in Qatar.
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of the audit committee of a public technology manufacturing company with respect to transactions involving possible bribery in Singapore and Taiwan.
- Advised a U.S. company with operations in China regarding potential legal implications of transactions involving possible commercial bribery.
- Routinely conduct FCPA due diligence investigations for M&A clients in advance of transaction closing.
- Routinely conduct FCPA training, e.g., trained over 100 international sales staff of an aircraft company on FCPA principles and developments.
- Routinely review anti-corruption provisions in contracts for goods and services.
- Routinely provide compliance consulting services, including risk assessments, and review and development of anti-corruption policies and procedures.
- Represented durable medical equipment company in a DOJ health care fraud investigation.
- Represented a member of Congress in a DOJ investigation and House ethics probe.
- Represented major financial institution against claims arising from $200 million Ponzi scheme.
- Second-chaired trial in which client successfully claimed that a private equity firm underpaid by millions of dollars for the client’s subsidiary; dispute centered on the accounting methods and judgments used to determine post-sale purchase price adjustments.
News & Resources
Biden Describes Combating Corruption as National Security Priority, Orders Interagency Review to Bolster Anti-Corruption Tools including Private Sector Partnerships
June 4, 2021
The Convergence: Feds Level First Hybrid Healthcare- and Securities-fraud Charges Arising from COVID-19 Marketing and Sales
June 16, 2020
Stimulus Acts 2020-2021
March 2, 2020
November 15, 2019
Organizations Facing Criminal Fines May Be Able To Reduce Them Upon A Proper Showing Of Inability To Pay
October 16, 2019
September 12, 2018
August 31, 2016
July 28, 2016
June 27, 2016
May 23, 2016
April 27, 2016
April 6, 2016
March 31, 2016
February 25, 2016
January 25, 2016
December 18, 2015
November 30, 2015
October 26, 2015
September 23, 2015
August 26, 2015
July 24, 2015
News & Press Mentions
October 28, 2021
September 21, 2021
January 12, 2021
September 21, 2020
March 2, 2020
October 6, 2016
November 23, 2015
Events & Speaking Engagements
January 24, 2023
April 20, 2022
June 24, 2021
April 27, 2021
December 18, 2020
September 10, 2019
July 16, 2018
December 6, 2017
- U.S. Editor, Dorsey’s Anti-Corruption Digest
- Editor, Dorsey’s FCA Now Blog
- Panelist, Investigations and Whistleblowing: How to Proceed When an Investigation Reveals Criminal Conduct or Other Improprieties, Dorsey Labor & Employment Conference (2015)
- Moderator and Conference Organizer, Dorsey Anti-Corruption Conference (2015)
- Panelist, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Panel, Dorsey Import-Export Conference (2013)
Industries & Practices
- Anti-Corruption Group
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Financial Services Regulatory
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Government Contracts Counseling & Litigation
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Mortgage Banking
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement