Chris helps clients raise money by selling equity and debt, buy and sell assets and businesses, manage their SEC disclosures, implement corporate governance structures, list on stock exchanges, and establish equity-based compensation arrangements. He works in a number of industries, including mining, energy, life sciences, technology, clean technology and financial services. Chris has extensive experience advising Canadian and other foreign clients on U.S. cross-border transactions, and often serves as their general U.S. outside counsel, helping them access solutions to all of their U.S. legal needs through Dorsey’s extensive network of offices and attorneys. He is also co-editor of Dorsey’s Cross-Border Counselor Blog.
- Goldcorp and Newmont Combine to Form World’s Largest Gold Company
- Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers begins SEC reporting as a domestic issuer
- Washington Capital Management Acquires Great Point Investors
- Chaparral Gold is acquired by mining-focused private equity firm
- Platinum Group Metals raises funds to complete construction of platinum mine
- West Kirkland Mining raises funds to advance gold project
- BioLife restructures and uplists to Nasdaq Capital Market
Mining & Energy
- Represented one of the world's largest uranium companies in domestic and offshore acquisitions, dispositions and equity and debt financings aggregating more than $7 billion.
- Represented a gold company in SEC reporting, corporate governance, an NYSE American listing and a series of equity and debt financings and acquisitions totaling $3 billion that transformed the company from a privately-held exploration stage company into a large, publicly-traded producer.
- Represented a platinum company in an NYSE American listing, SEC reporting, corporate governance and public and private financings aggregating over $700 million.
- Represented coal companies or their investment banks in several going public transactions in which privately-held, U.S.-based coal producers went public via a reverse takeover of a Canadian public company and a concurrent equity financing.
- Represented a supplier to the life sciences industry in a transformative transaction in which the company completed a $15 million public offering of common stock and warrants, converted $14 million of secured debt into equity, and uplisted from the OTCQB to the NASDAQ Capital Market, as well as in other matters including SEC reporting and corporate governance.
- Represented a biopharmaceutical company in several VC financings, a going public transaction via the takeover of a NASDAQ-listed company, SEC reporting, NASDAQ corporate governance and a $50 million shelf takedown of common stock and warrants.
- Represented a medical device company in SEC reporting and nearly $50 million in equity financings.
Technology and Clean Tech
- Represented a solar lighting company in a series of public and private equity financings and an acquisition in Florida.
- Represented a California-based solar roofing company in an inversion transaction in which the company went public via a reverse takeover of a Canadian public company, concurrent with a $45 million equity financing.
- Represented a satellite imaging company in a going public M&A transaction and a series of financings.
- Represented a consumer lending company in a series of high yield debt, convertible debt and equity offerings in excess of $1 billion.
- Represented the world’s largest industrial auctioneer in SEC reporting, NYSE compliance, corporate governance, stock based compensation, and M&A related matters.
- Represented a chain of vitamin and supplement stores in a $50 million sale of the company.
- Represented a sandwich chain in its initial public offering on NASDAQ.
- Represented the controlling stakeholder of one of the world's largest commercial real estate brokerage firms in the reorganization of the firm's international governing structure and the relicensing of its operations throughout the U.S.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
Industries & Practices
- Capital Markets
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Contributed more than 50 Challenge pro bono hours, 2020
- Ranked as one of “America’s Leading Business Lawyers” by Chambers USA (Corporate/Commercial), 2017-2019
- Recognized as a Foreign Expert (Based Abroad) for Corporate/M&A: Canada by Chambers Global, 2013
- Recognized as a Foreign Expert (Canada) for Corporate/M&A: USA by Chambers Global, 2013
- Listed as a "Rising Star" by Washington Super Lawyers, 2005-2014