Dan is a partner in Dorsey's Corporate group and head of Dorsey’s Vancouver office. His practice focuses on U.S.-Canada cross-border securities transactions, mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance matters.
Dan has extensive experience advising Canadian companies on U.S. public and private securities offerings, including offerings under the Multijurisdictional Disclosure System (MJDS), Rule 144A, Regulation S, and Regulation D. Dan also regularly advises U.S. and Canadian clients on corporate governance matters, U.S. corporate and securities laws applicable to foreign companies operating in the U.S., mergers and acquisitions and otherwise doing business in the United States.
Education & Admissions
University of Toronto (LL.B./M.B.A., 1997),
- Deans List, 1995-1997; McCarthy Tétrault Prize for Academic Excellence; Blake, Cassels & Graydon Prize in Corporate Law Smith; Lyons, Torrance, Stevenson & Mayer Prize in Securities Law; Cary S. Stern Prize in Civil Procedure
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) (B.A., Sociology, 1993), magna cum laude; Deans List 1989-1993; Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
- Represented Aptose Biosciences Inc. in connection with multiple equity offerings for total proceeds of more than $200 million.
- Represented First Majestic Silver Corp. in connection with its $100 million at-the-market sale facility.
- Represented SSR Mining Inc. in connection with the $230 million debt offering.
- Represented Tekmira Pharmaceuticals Corporation (now Arbutus Biopharma Corporation) in its $150 equity offering.
- Represented Trillium Therapeutics Inc. in its $50 million initial public offering of common shares in the United States.
- Represented PetroBakken Energy Ltd. in its $900 million debt offering.
- Represented YM Biosciences Inc. on multiple equity offerings.
- Represented Petro-Canada on its $2.5 billion secondary offering of common shares by the Government of Canada (at the time, the largest ever equity offering by a Canadian company).
- Represented Pembina Pipeline Corporation in connection with filing of Cdn$3 billion shelf registration statement.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented Tekmira Pharmaceuticals Corporation (now Arbutus Biopharma Corporation) in its $750 million merger with OnCore Biopharma, Inc.
- Represented Equal Energy Ltd. in its $230 merger with Petroflow Energy Corporation.
- Represented AnorMed Inc. on its $580 million acquisition by Genzyme Corporation (which began as the first ever hostile takeover in the biotech sector).
- Represented Penn West Energy Trust on its $15 billion merger with Canetic Resources Trust.
- Represented First Majestic Silver Corp. on its $320 million acquisition of Primero Mining.
- Represented Savanna Energy Services Corp. in connection with its hostile takeover defense and $200 million acquisition by Total Energy Services Inc.
- Represented Xtreme Drilling Corp. in its $125 million merger with AKITA Drilling Ltd.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
Industries & Practices
- Capital Markets
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Creative Industries
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Oil & Gas
- Private Equity
- Technology Commerce