Dorsey’s Technology Commerce team helps clients develop, protect and commercialize their valuable technology and intellectual property worldwide. Our lawyers are experienced deal-makers and relationship-builders with a keen interest in the technologies that are fundamental to our clients’ success. We combine expertise in intellectual property law with a deep understanding of the complexities of commercial transactions to help our clients structure long-term relationships that succeed and gain a competitive advantage in the increasingly global world of business.
Our Technology Commerce team advises a wide range of entities engaged in developing and commercializing their products and services – from emerging companies needing strategies to secure appropriate rights to maximize value when developing intellectual property to Fortune 100 companies forging bet-the-company joint ventures and other complex commercial transactions. We also advise clients on all forms of commercial contracts required to acquire the intangible and tangible resources necessary to run their businesses, from licensing software and acquiring hardware to outsourcing business processes and services.
Our seasoned lawyers have years of experience helping developers, customers and vendors form successful strategic relationships by listening carefully to their needs and crafting agreements that work – withstanding the test of time and evolving appropriately with the parties and their businesses. We do this across a variety of industries around the world – from healthcare, medical devices, food and agriculture and banking to emerging services and technology platforms that aim to disrupt established players.
- Key players combine in significant transaction for payments industry
- Louisville Slugger brand to grow through historic transaction
- Minnesota wins with new Vikings stadium
- Tekmira and OnCore merge to create global company focused on HBV treatment
- University of Colorado Advances Clean Technology Inventions
Technology doesn’t exist in a vacuum – technology is often targeted to an industry and must comply with both the regulations and practices of that industry. We work closely with clients that are developing and commercializing technologies in many industries including the following:
- Healthcare IT and infrastructure, data analytics and services
- Medical devices
- Life sciences
- Food and agriculture
- Computer software, hardware and devices
- Banking and financial services
- Capital equipment manufacturing and distribution
- Consumer products
- Creative services including advertising and public relations
- Metals extraction and other mining industries
Range of Services – From Concept to Commerce
Our team takes pride in helping clients achieve their goals at every stage of their lifecycle. A sample of our work includes representing:
Licenses of Technology
- DNA Electronics Ltd, an innovative fabless semiconductor designer, in connection with the grant of a patent and know-how license and a $30m collaborative project in relation to the development of a chip-based DNA sequencing technology, with F. Hoffmann La-Roche (the world leader in sequencing technology).
- California-based multi-specialty health care company, in connection with an exclusive collaboration agreement and license with a pharmaceutical company for the development and commercialization of apaziquone.
- Sports news and information provider and fantasy sports platform operator on daily operations, including intellectual property; mobile apps; advertising networks; vendor services; sponsorships; endorsements; user conduct; editorial guidelines.
- Software-as-a-service providers which provide hosted solutions for use in a variety of industries, including healthcare, education and food.
- Privately held company owned by several large banking institutions in the negotiation of a master services agreement for software used to detect fraudulent transactions.
- Device manufacturers, software developers, start-ups and other companies in connection with open source software issues, including in mergers and acquisitions.
Joint Ventures, Joint Development Agreements, Complex Commercial Transactions
- Quindell Plc in a joint venture with RAC (a UK automobile club) relating to the development, licensing and commercialization of a motor telematics system and other digital wireless services for motorists and insurance companies.
- California-based multi-specialty health care company in the formation of a strategic collaboration with an international cosmetic company to develop a new skin care line, including the marketing and distribution of such skin care line.
- OptumInsight in its Optum360 joint venture with Dignity Health, including long term master services agreement for the outsourcing of the management of Dignity Health’s end-to-end revenue cycle.
- Major league baseball team in its broadcasting and interactive media agreement.
- Joint venture entity in connection with the outsourcing of revenue cycle management services by a large East Coast based hospital system.
- Fortune 200 company in connection with a major application management outsourcing arrangement with IBM, including help desk and offshore service provision.
- Fortune 500 company in the negotiation of a telecom outsourcing services agreement for all wireless services at a destination resort and conference center.
Industries & Practices
- Antitrust & Competition Law
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Emerging Companies
- Franchise & Distribution Law
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- National Security Law
- Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & Management
- Trademark, Copyright, Advertising & Brand Management