Because creative industries don’t operate in a vacuum, our attorneys don’t practice in one. We’re not only legal experts but we also understand the business and industry standards that are unique to the creative fields in which our clients operate, which lets us effectively advise on everything from artistic and intellectual property protection to dispute resolution, privacy, licensing and distribution and business financing and structuring.
We mobilize the expertise of over 575 Dorsey lawyers around the globe, from New York, to Southern California, London and China, to provide specialized, seamless service to clients operating in a wide range of creative fields, including:
- Brand Development
- Cosmetics & Beauty
- Creative Agencies
- Fine Arts & Graphic Design
- Product Design
- Sports and Gaming
- Theatre & Arts
- Video Games and Mobile Apps
- Draft agreements between companies and spokespersons, such as celebrities or athletes, relating to sponsorship and development of products.
- Advise musicians and other media entities on trademark clearance and registration and copyright registration.
- Obtain and negotiate licenses for use of musical works, such as grand rights licenses, synchronization licenses and mechanical licenses.
- Represent recording artists in defending copyright litigation.
- Represent authors in reviewing and negotiating book-publishing agreements.
- Represent newspaper and publishing companies in defamation, First Amendment and libel litigation.
- Represent fashion and cosmetics companies in defending or asserting infringement actions relating to product designs, copyright, trademark, dilution and/or unfair competition.
- Counsel artists on copyright and trademark issues, leasing and buying property, business organizations and contracts.
- Represent film studios in reviewing agreements for options and talent.
- Assist clients with inbound and outbound licensing of intellectual property and other media rights.
- Counsel clients on cross-border media and intellectual property matters, with a particular emphasis on Canada and China.
- Advise on and draft business agreements, such as partnership agreements for bands and licenses to use celebrity rights of publicity in various contexts, including video games and educational offerings.
Industries & Practices
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & Management
- Trademark, Copyright & Advertising