Erin is a Co-Chair of the Firm’s Consumer Financial Services Group. She is also a member of the Firm’s Technology Industry Group and Finance & Restructuring Practice Group. Erin is passionate about identifying innovative legal solutions for her clients. She draws on her prior in-house experience as a Senior Corporate Counsel for one of the largest banks in the United States in order to anticipate her clients’ evolving business needs and tailor her legal services to their specific goals.
Erin’s regulatory and compliance practice includes advising clients on anti-money laundering laws, cannabis regulations, collections, consumer lending, consumer loan servicing, credit reporting, default servicing, the Dodd-Frank Act, earned wage access products, electronic banking, financial technology, government examination/supervision, licensure, mortgage (origination, servicing, and warehouse lending), and privacy. Her default and bankruptcy practice includes bankruptcy litigation, consumer bankruptcy compliance, lien enforcement, receiverships, and out-of-court commercial workouts.
Education & Admissions
University of St. Thomas School of Law (J.D., 2007), cum laude, Presidential Scholar, LuAnn Dummer Fellowship
University of St. Thomas (The Leadership and Management Program, Executive Education, 2016)
Lawrence University (B.A., 2004), cum laude, Otho Pearre Fairfield Prize
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Minnesota, United States Bankruptcy Appellate Panel for the Eighth Circuit, Honorable Robert J. Kressel, 2008-2011
Commercial Bankruptcy and Restructuring Experience:
- Lead associate in representation of lender and agent in connection with restructuring and prepackaged bankruptcy of public company.
- Lead associate in representation of continuing care retirement community debtor in prepackaged chapter 11 proceeding that restructured over $60 million in debt (including $41 million in refinanced bond debt).
- Lead associate in representation of indenture trustee as petitioning creditor in involuntary chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding of correctional facility owner leading to restructuring of $55 million in bond debt.
- Lead associate in numerous matters involving representation of creditors with respect to commercial collections, bankruptcy proceedings, claims, executory contracts, preference defense, and fraudulent transfer defense.
- Representation of technology companies in out-of-court liquidations.
Consumer Regulatory and Default Experience:
- Served as lead counsel on regulatory and government inquiries into consumer bankruptcy servicing practices, including relating to court-filed documents (e.g., payment change notices, proofs of claim, responses to notices of final cure, post-petition fee notices) and mortgage servicing practices (e.g., payment application and escrow).
- Provided critical legal support in connection with resolution of mortgage servicing-related consent orders with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Federal Reserve.
- Served as Single Point of Contact for United States Trustee inquiries for a major financial institution.
- Advises mortgage servicers on issues relating to the implementation of CFPB mortgage servicing rules and credit reporting of bankruptcy accounts under the FCRA.
- Successfully managed national privacy remediation matter involving historic bankruptcy filing deficiencies that had exposed personally identifiable information prohibited by FRBP 9037.
- Directed and oversaw the development and implementation of fee matrices covering 94 jurisdictions.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- The Basics of Representing Creditors in Bankruptcy Cases, Debtor-Creditor Handbook (MinnCLE 2012, 2014, & 2016).
- Ethical/Practice Expectations, Bankruptcy Deskbook (MinnCLE 2012, 2014, & 2016).
- Review in Bankruptcy Cases, Eighth Circuit Appellate Practice Manual (MinnCLE 2010 & 2013).
- Speaker/Panelist, “Leadership at Your Best,” University of St. Thomas School of Law Alumnae Panel (November 2017).
- Speaker/Co-Presenter, “What’s Next: What are the New Legislative, Regulatory, and Enforcement Directions Under the Trump Administration?,” Representing Community Banks in Minnesota (October 2017).
- Speaker/Presenter, “The Role of In-House Counsel in Identifying and Escalating Risks,” The National LGBT Bar Association Corporate Counsel Institute (August 2017).
- Speaker/Panelist, “Where Do We Go From Here? Leading Lawyers Through the Next Four Years,” MWL Conference for Women in the Law (April 2017).
- Speaker/Panelist, “CFPB Mortgage Servicing Rules Panel,” NACTT Mortgage Committee (February 2017).
- Speaker/Panelist, “Consumer Bankruptcy Issues,” The Rapidly Changing World of Consumer Banking Regulations (October 2016).
- Speaker/Panelist, “Diverse Law Clerk and Former Law Clerk Panel,” Strengthening the Pipeline: Importance of Judicial Clerkships (February 2016).
- Speaker/Panelist, “In-House and Out: LGBT Attorney Roundtable,” Minnesota Lavender Bar Association Conference (January 2015).
- Speaker/Panelist, “Business Bankruptcy Roundtable: Liquidating Plans, Chapter 7, Structured Dismissals? What to do Next in Chapter 11 Cases,” Bankruptcy Institute (October 2014).
- Speaker/Panelist, “Workouts, Receiverships, and Bankruptcy,” Debtor and Creditor Seminar (July 2014).
- Speaker/Panelist, “What Every Lawyer Should Know about Bankruptcy,” Dorsey & Whitney LLP (June 2014).
- Speaker/Co-Presenter, “The New (and Improved?) Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act,” Dorsey & Whitney LLP (May 2014).
- Speaker/Co-Presenter, “Partnership and LLC Issues in Bankruptcy,” Bankruptcy Institute (October 2013).
- Speaker/Panelist, “Introduction to Bankruptcy Court Players, Process and Practice,” Debtor-Creditor Series (January 2013).
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Consumer Financial Services
- Corporate Trust Services
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG)
- Financial Services Regulatory
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Mortgage Banking
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement
Professional & Civic
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA) Minnesota Chapter, Board Member
- American Bar Association, Banking Law Committee and Business Law Section Member; Vice Chair of Bankruptcy and Workouts Subcommittee
- workOUT Professionals, Member
- Volunteer Lawyers Network’s Housing Court Project and LGBTQ Clinic, Pro Bono Volunteer
- Minnesota Lavender Bar Association, Member and Former Chair
- Mitchell Hamline School of Law, Former Adjunct Professor (Bankruptcy)
- Minnesota Women Lawyers, Member
- Bankruptcy Practice Committee, United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Minnesota, Former Member
- Housing Justice Center, Former Board Member
- Northeast Minneapolis Arts Association, Former Board Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association Women in the Legal Profession Committee, Former Co-Chair
- Named "Minneapolis Ones to Watch" in Banking and Finance Law/Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law by Best Lawyers®, 2023
- Minnesota Lawyer Diversity & Inclusion Honoree, 2022
- Twin Cities Diversity in Practice, Minnesota Racial Equity Challenge Certification, 2021
- Contributed more than 100 Challenge pro bono hours, 2020-2021
- Contributed more than 50+ Diversity hours, 2020-2022
- Listed as a Minnesota Rising Stars Women’s Edition, 2022
- Business Law Fellow, American Bar Association, 2019-Present
- Recognized for Outstanding Pro Bono Service, Minnesota Supreme Court, 2019
- 40 Best LGBT Attorneys Under 40, The National LGBT Bar Association, 2017
- Up & Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer, 2014
- North Star Lawyer, 2012-2013, 2017-2020