Erin Bryan’s practice consists of commercial bankruptcy, restructuring, and insolvency, as well as consumer regulatory and compliance matters. Erin draws on her experience as a Senior Corporate Counsel for one of the United States’ largest banks to better understand the business needs of her clients and tailor her legal services to their specific goals.
Erin’s commercial bankruptcy, restructuring, and insolvency experience includes a wide variety of complex transactional matters and bankruptcy litigation for clients in the financial services, healthcare, technology, and energy industries.
Erin’s consumer regulatory and default experience includes serving as in-house counsel at U.S. Bank, focusing on issues relating to remediation activity and bankruptcy law. Erin advised the bank’s lines of business in residential mortgages, auto loans & leases, student loans, personal loans, deposit accounts, branch banking, and credit card products.
Education & Admissions
University of St. Thomas School of Law (J.D., 2007), cum laude, Presidential Scholar, LuAnn Dummer Fellowship
University of St. Thomas (The Leadership and Management Program, Executive Education, 2016)
Lawrence University (B.A., 2004), cum laude, Otho Pearre Fairfield Prize
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Minnesota, United States Bankruptcy Appellate Panel for the Eighth Circuit, Honorable Robert J. Kressel, 2008-2011
Commercial Bankruptcy and Restructuring Experience:
- Lead associate in representation of lender and agent in connection with restructuring and prepackaged bankruptcy of public company.
- Lead associate in representation of continuing care retirement community debtor in prepackaged chapter 11 proceeding that restructured over $60 million in debt (including $41 million in refinanced bond debt).
- Lead associate in representation of indenture trustee as petitioning creditor in involuntary chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding of correctional facility owner leading to restructuring of $55 million in bond debt.
- Lead associate in numerous matters involving representation of creditors with respect to commercial collections, bankruptcy proceedings, claims, executory contracts, preference defense, and fraudulent transfer defense.
- Representation of technology companies in out-of-court liquidations.
Consumer Regulatory and Default Experience:
- Served as lead counsel on regulatory and government inquiries into consumer bankruptcy servicing practices, including relating to court-filed documents (e.g., payment change notices, proofs of claim, responses to notices of final cure, post-petition fee notices) and mortgage servicing practices (e.g., payment application and escrow).
- Provided critical legal support in connection with resolution of mortgage servicing-related consent orders with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Federal Reserve.
- Served as Single Point of Contact for United States Trustee inquiries for a major financial institution.
- Advises mortgage servicers on issues relating to the implementation of CFPB mortgage servicing rules and credit reporting of bankruptcy accounts under the FCRA.
- Successfully managed national privacy remediation matter involving historic bankruptcy filing deficiencies that had exposed personally identifiable information prohibited by FRBP 9037.
- Directed and oversaw the development and implementation of fee matrices covering 94 jurisdictions.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- The Basics of Representing Creditors in Bankruptcy Cases, Debtor-Creditor Handbook (MinnCLE 2012, 2014, & 2016).
- Ethical/Practice Expectations, Bankruptcy Deskbook (MinnCLE 2012, 2014, & 2016).
- Review in Bankruptcy Cases, Eighth Circuit Appellate Practice Manual (MinnCLE 2010 & 2013).
- Speaker/Panelist, “Leadership at Your Best,” University of St. Thomas School of Law Alumnae Panel (November 2017).
- Speaker/Co-Presenter, “What’s Next: What are the New Legislative, Regulatory, and Enforcement Directions Under the Trump Administration?,” Representing Community Banks in Minnesota (October 2017).
- Speaker/Presenter, “The Role of In-House Counsel in Identifying and Escalating Risks,” The National LGBT Bar Association Corporate Counsel Institute (August 2017).
- Speaker/Panelist, “Where Do We Go From Here? Leading Lawyers Through the Next Four Years,” MWL Conference for Women in the Law (April 2017).
- Speaker/Panelist, “CFPB Mortgage Servicing Rules Panel,” NACTT Mortgage Committee (February 2017).
- Speaker/Panelist, “Consumer Bankruptcy Issues,” The Rapidly Changing World of Consumer Banking Regulations (October 2016).
- Speaker/Panelist, “Diverse Law Clerk and Former Law Clerk Panel,” Strengthening the Pipeline: Importance of Judicial Clerkships (February 2016).
- Speaker/Panelist, “In-House and Out: LGBT Attorney Roundtable,” Minnesota Lavender Bar Association Conference (January 2015).
- Speaker/Panelist, “Business Bankruptcy Roundtable: Liquidating Plans, Chapter 7, Structured Dismissals? What to do Next in Chapter 11 Cases,” Bankruptcy Institute (October 2014).
- Speaker/Panelist, “Workouts, Receiverships, and Bankruptcy,” Debtor and Creditor Seminar (July 2014).
- Speaker/Panelist, “What Every Lawyer Should Know about Bankruptcy,” Dorsey & Whitney LLP (June 2014).
- Speaker/Co-Presenter, “The New (and Improved?) Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act,” Dorsey & Whitney LLP (May 2014).
- Speaker/Co-Presenter, “Partnership and LLC Issues in Bankruptcy,” Bankruptcy Institute (October 2013).
- Speaker/Panelist, “Introduction to Bankruptcy Court Players, Process and Practice,” Debtor-Creditor Series (January 2013).
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Consumer Financial Services
- Corporate Trust Services
- Development & Infrastructure
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Financial Services Regulatory
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations
- Mortgage Banking
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act
Professional & Civic
- Minnesota Lavender Bar Association, Chair
- Bankruptcy Practice Committee, United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Minnesota, Member
- Mitchell Hamline School of Law, Adjunct Professor (Bankruptcy)
- Housing Justice Center, Board Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Minnesota Women Lawyers, Member
- Volunteer Lawyers Network’s Housing Court Project and LGBTQ Clinic, Pro Bono Volunteer
- Minnesota State Bar Association Women in the Legal Profession Committee, Former Co-Chair