Joseph focuses on providing service-oriented and effective counsel to his clients. His practice centers around corporate and business law, mergers and acquisitions, securities law, and real estate. Joseph represents startups, established family and owner managed businesses, entrepreneurs, private equity companies, and companies in various industries such as real estate development, manufacturing, hospitality, healthcare, agri-business, and consumer products.
Joseph’s merger and acquisition experience includes representing both buyers and sellers in a variety of transactions, including asset purchases, stock purchasers, mergers, divestitures, carve-outs, and joint ventures. Joseph also advises clients on corporate formation, financings, private equity and offerings, commercial contracts, and business relationship documents such as shareholder agreements or consulting agreements. Joseph also has significant experience with private equity and debt offerings, mainly for real estate developers.
Joseph also acts as primary outside counsel to companies without a legal department. Drawing on the expertise of legal professionals in Dorsey offices across the United States and abroad, Joseph helps clients manage legal issues in virtually all areas of law relevant to their businesses.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Counsel to sellers of a commercial office furniture business in a $130 million equity sale to a strategic buyer.
- Counsel to commercial construction company in the strategic acquisition of two regional competitors.
- Counsel to owners of an infrastructure and heavy civil construction company in their sale of a majority stake of the company to a private equity group.
- Counsel to sellers of a wild bird food and grass seed business in an asset sale to a strategic buyer.
- Counsel to premier building façade contractor in the United States in its strategic asset acquisition of a light-weight architectural steel, cables, and tensile membrane structures and structural and cladding systems business.
- Counsel to private equity sellers in their sale of one of its software portfolio companies to a foreign strategic buyer.
- Counsel to owners of a construction roofing company in their sale of a majority stake of the company to a private equity group.
- Counsel to cloud management software company in its strategic acquisition of an automation toolkit software company through merger.
- Counsel to foreign developer and manufacturer of various healthcare testing systems in its strategic equity acquisition of key distributor in the United States.
Corporate and Securities
- Counsel to multiple real estate developers pertaining to capital raising through private equity offerings, entity formation and structuring, investor relations, contract negotiations, and real estate matters totaling over $500 million in project costs.
- Counsel to telehealth mental health provider in its private placement of Series A Preferred Shares to strategic investors.
- Outside general counsel to clients in industries such as real estate development, manufacturing, hospitality, healthcare, agri-business, and consumer products.
- Counsel representing several closely held companies or shareholders on business formation or separation matters.
- Counsel to a major surgical group in the formation or acquisition of clinics throughout the Midwest.
- Counsel to a major city in the formation of a joint venture for the development of tourist attractions with private equity group.
- Counsel to telecommunications company in the formation of a joint venture for the development of an undersea fiber optic cable network, with parties from 3 continents.
- Counsel to lending clients and financial institutions in originating, structuring, documenting and negotiating financing transactions, inclusive of co-lender arrangements pertaining to sales of businesses, real estate, and other transactional finance matters.
- Advising representing several start-ups and private equity companies pertaining to equity financing options, private equity offerings and overall structure and governance matters.
- Counsel to non-profits in commercial contracts, business formation, and governance issues.
- Represent clients in drafting and negotiating supply, distribution, and manufacturing agreements.
- Represent clients in drafting and negotiating equipment and business loans.
- Represent clients in drafting and negotiating sales and other commercial agreements.
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Capital Markets
- Closely Held Businesses
- Construction & Design
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Development & Infrastructure
- Emerging Companies
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Investment Funds
- Lending Transactions
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Real Estate & Land Use
- Technology Commerce
- Contributed more than 100+ Challenge pro bono hours, 2022
- Named “Minneapolis Ones to Watch” in Mergers and Acquisitions Law / Real Estate Law / Securities & Capital Markets Law by Best Lawyers®, 2022-2024
- MSBA North Star Lawyer, 2022
- Named “Great Plains Rising Star” by Super Lawyers®, 2017-2022