Jack is an associate in Dorsey’s Labor & Employment group, where he focuses his practice on employment advice, litigation, and traditional labor-law issues. In his advice practice, Jack helps clients avoid litigation and position themselves effectively in case an employee does bring a claim. When counseling employers, Jack draws both from his legal experience and from the practical experience gained in his first career as a print reporter and newsroom manager, including service as a regional correspondent for The Associated Press in Washington, D.C., as a reporter and editor for The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead, and as the manager and editor of a suburban news team for the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
Education & Admissions
University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., 2010), magna cum laude; ABA-BNA Award for Excellence in the Study of Labor and Employment Law; founding Editor-in-Chief, ABA Journal of Labor & Employment Law
University of St. Thomas (B.A., 1993), cum laude
- North Dakota
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
- Minnesota Supreme Court, Justice G. Barry Anderson, 2010-2011
- Argued before the Minnesota Supreme Court on behalf of city housing and redevelopment authority and won reversal of court of appeals decision that had blocked $85 million redevelopment project in Minneapolis suburb.
- Served as second chair on trial team that won jury verdict rejecting trade-secret and contract claims against client and awarding damages on counterclaim.
- Represented high-technology manufacturer against former sales representatives and their new employer in unfair competition case, defeating motion to dismiss, defending and conducting depositions, and negotiating settlement.
- Counsel clients on range of workplace issues, including disability accommodation in hiring and employment, drafting and implementing effective policies and procedures, independent contractor relationships, unfair labor practice charges, and wage and commission disputes.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Jack Sullivan, Article: Pooled Special-Needs Trusts: An Exception that Should be the Rule to Protect Adults with Developmental Disabilities, 27 LAW & INEQ. 441 (2009)
Industries & Practices
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Electric Power
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Health Care
- Indian & Alaska Native
- Labor & Employment
Professional & Civic
- Vice President, Board of Directors, Minnesota Justice Foundation (a non-profit corporation that promotes pro bono opportunities for law students and fundraises to support clerkships at public interest agencies serving low-income individuals)
- Member, Board of Advisors, ThreeSixty Journalism (a nonprofit outreach program of the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of St. Thomas that uses the principles of strong writing and reporting to help diverse Minnesota high school students enhance their writing skills, college readiness and community connection)
- Member, Human Resource Professionals of Minnesota
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Member, Hennepin County Bar Association