JACK HELPS EMPLOYERS SOLVE AND AVOID PROBLEMS IN THE WORKPLACE.
Jack is an employment adviser and litigator in Dorsey’s Labor & Employment group, where he provides business leaders and human resource professionals with practical guidance through difficult compliance, managerial, and workforce decisions. Jack also advises management on union and labor-law issues. His advice to clients is informed and strengthened by his own professional experience as a manager, as he served as a newsroom leader and editor during his first career as a journalist – and so knows first-hand the challenges and rewards of effectively hiring, training, and managing employees. Jack works to resolve potential problems and disputes on terms that work best for his clients so they can focus on the needs of their business – and when matters can’t be resolved, is a creative and effective litigator who has represented clients in state and federal courts and private arbitrations across the country.
Education & Admissions
University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., 2010), magna cum laude; ABA-BNA Award for Excellence in the Study of Labor and Employment Law; founding Editor-in-Chief, ABA Journal of Labor & Employment Law
University of St. Thomas (B.A., 1993), cum laude
- North Dakota
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
- Minnesota Supreme Court, Justice G. Barry Anderson, 2010-2011
- Served on-site, in-house assignments with two different Fortune 500 clients – a utility company and a medical-device manufacturer – advising business and human resources leaders on a wide range of compliance and management issues.
- Counsels clients on range of workplace issues, including disability accommodation in hiring and employment, effectively managing medical and disability leaves, drafting and implementing effective policies and procedures, properly structuring independent contractor relationships, and resolving employment disputes before they develop litigation.
- Negotiate and draft employment and separation agreements for C-suite leaders and other key employees.
- Argued before the Minnesota Supreme Court on behalf of city housing and redevelopment authority and won reversal of court of appeals decision that had blocked $85 million redevelopment project in Minneapolis suburb.
- Served as second chair on trial team that won jury verdict rejecting trade-secret claims against client and awarding significant damages and attorneys’ fees on client’s counterclaim.
- Was a political reporter in Washington, D.C., for The Associated Press and a local news team leader for the Saint Paul Pioneer Press before entering law school.
News & Resources
NLRB Adopts “Contract Coverage” Standard to Apply to an Employer’s Unilateral Changes to Terms and Conditions of Employment
September 12, 2019
June 29, 2018
September 20, 2017
September 5, 2017
It’s Final: The DOL Issues Final Rule Providing Paid Sick Leave For Employees of Federal Contractors
September 30, 2016
Ninth Circuit Holds that Employees’ Waiver of All Forums for Class or Collective Action Violates NLRA
September 1, 2016
August 1, 2016
July 13, 2016
May 18, 2016
February 4, 2016
September 8, 2015
September 2, 2015
News & Press Mentions
November 16, 2018
Events & Speaking Engagements
April 11, 2019
May 7, 2018
May 3, 2018
NLRB ‘Wish List’ – A Solution Looking for Problems
May 18, 2016
Labor and Employment 2016 Conference
March 3, 2016
"How Far from Near? 50 Years of New York Times v. Sullivan in Minnesota and Beyond," (Panelist) Silha Center for the Study of Media Ethics and Law, University of Minnesota School of Journalism & Mass Communication
April 23, 2014
"Human Resources – Critical Issues and Best Practices," Great Plains, Midwest, Rocky Mountain Indian Gaming Conference & Tradeshow
May 22, 2012
- Jack Sullivan, Article: Pooled Special-Needs Trusts: An Exception that Should be the Rule to Protect Adults with Developmental Disabilities, 27 LAW & INEQ. 441 (2009)
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Development & Infrastructure
- Electric Power
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Indian & Alaska Native
- Labor & Employment
Professional & Civic
- President of the Board of Directors, Minnesota Justice Foundation (a non-profit corporation that promotes pro bono opportunities for law students and fundraises to support clerkships at public interest agencies serving low-income individuals)
- Member, Leadership Council, ThreeSixty Journalism (a nonprofit outreach program of the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of St. Thomas that uses the principles of strong writing and reporting to help diverse Minnesota high school students enhance their writing skills, college readiness and community connection)
- Adjunct Professor, University of Minnesota Law School Employment Law Clinic
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Member, Hennepin County Bar Association