CHRIS HELPS CLIENTS RESOLVE FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAX PROBLEMS AND SPECIALIZES IN ASSISTING COOPERATIVE ASSOCIATIONS WITH THEIR UNIQUE TAX ISSUES.
A senior attorney in Dorsey’s Tax Group, Chris advises clients, including e-commerce and international retailers, on minimizing state and local income, sales and use, excise, and business and occupation tax exposure. Chris also assists clients with federal tax issues, audits and appeals, and has special expertise in Section 1031 exchanges, federal excise taxes, and federal tax credits, such as the New Markets Tax Credit.
For over 15 years, Chris has advised and assisted cooperative associations with tax issues relating to cooperative operation and distributions, restructurings, recapitalizations, mergers and joint ventures. Chris has also assisted clients in converting to and from cooperative status.
Education & Admissions
William Mitchell College of Law (J.D., 2000), summa cum laude; Editor, William Mitchell Law Review, 1999-2000
Northwestern University (Ph.D., British and Early Modern European History, 1993)
University of Minnesota (B.A., History, 1985), summa cum laude
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Minnesota, the Western District of Michigan, and the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- CHS raises funds in preferred stock offering
- Keeping jobs local and transforming neighborhoods
- Land O’Lakes merging with United Suppliers to create stronger company
- Land O’Lakes raises over $240 million in private offering
- Minnesota wins with new Vikings stadium
- Washington Capital Management Acquires Great Point Investors
- Wholesale power supplier Tri-State refinances $1.59 billion and increases credit facility
- Wisconsin and Minnesota Food Co-ops Merge to Better Serve Two Communities
- Tax structuring for e-commerce website making direct, drop-shipment, and third-party sales.
- IRS appeal permitting telephone cooperative to treat gain from sale of telecommunications company stock as patronage-sourced income.
- Tax opinions on New Market Tax Credit financings for dairy cooperative, manufacturer, nursing home, nonprofit youth shelter and several school districts.
- Recapitalization of cooperative involving exchange of patrons’ equities for preferred stock.
- Conversion of mining corporation into a single-member cooperative.
- Conversion of limited liability tire products company into cooperative.
- Conversion of biodiesel cooperative into limited liability company.
- Merger of two blood supply cooperatives.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Co-presenter, "Litigation Update" at National Intertribal Tax Alliance Annual Conference in Prior Lake, Minnesota, August 2006
- Co-presenter, “Litigation Update” at National Intertribal Tax Alliance Annual Conference in Albuquerque, New Mexico, September 2004
- Co-presenter, “State Taxation in Indian Country,” and “IRS Developments Involving Tribal Tax-Exempt Financings and Other Tribal Matters” at Dorsey & Whitney LLP Workshop on “Current Tax Issues Facing Tribes: Practical Solutions and Opportunities” in Seattle, February 2003
- Co-presenter, “Louisiana Taxation in Indian Country” at the Louisiana-Tribal Tax Summit, a gathering of Louisiana and tribal officials in Kinder, Louisiana, November 2002
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Closely Held Businesses
- Cooperative Law
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Indian & Alaska Native
- Tax Controversy & Litigation
Professional & Civic
- Regular Contributor, TAXFAX section of The Cooperative Accountant
- Member, National Society of Accountants for Cooperatives
- Member, Minnesota Bar Association
- Member, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives
- Member, American Historical Association
- Member, Selden Society for Study of the History of English Law