SIMON ADOPTS A MULTI-DISCIPLINARY AND MULTI-JURISDICTIONAL ONE TEAM APPROACH TO ADVISE GENERAL COUNSELS, CEOS, CFOS AND THEIR BOARDS TO RESOLVE VUCA (VOLATILE, UNCERTAIN, COMPLEX, AMBIGUOUS) ISSUES THAT OUR CLIENTS FACE IN A FAST MOVING GLOBAL MARKET PLACE.
Education & Admissions
University of Hong Kong (LL.B., 1995), Honors
University of Hong Kong (P.C.LL, 1996)
Tsinghua University (Chinese Law Certificate Course, 1995)
Peking University (Chinese Law Certificate Course, 2010)
Harvard Law School Executive Education (LLF Program, 2017)
- New York
- Hong Kong
- England & Wales (non-practicing)
- English, Cantonese and Mandarin
Known for his practical problem solving skills for MNCs, Simon is lead external counsel for a range of transactions, including:
- Advised Powerlong Real Estate Holdings Limited, a leading property developer in the PRC, as to United States, Hong Kong and English law in connection with its issuance on April 17, 2018 of US$350 million aggregate principal amount of high yield bonds due 2021.
- Advised Powerlong Real Estate Holdings Limited, a leading property developer in the PRC, as to United States, Hong Kong and English law in connection with its issuance on July 19, 2017 of US$200 million aggregate principal amount of high yield bonds due 2020.
- Advising Hong Kong Stock Exchange listed companies on International Economic Sanction law regime and related compliance programs.
- Advised the Scoular Company, a leading U.S.-based agricultural marketing company, in its acquisition of the Special Crops Division of Legumex Walker Inc. for transaction value of CAD$174.6 million.
- Acted as U.S. Counsel to New World Development, a leading Hong Kong blue chip conglomerate, focusing on property, infrastructure and services, department stores and hotels in its tender offer to privatize its Hong Kong listed property flagship in the PRC for HKD22 billion (equivalent of around USD2.8 billion). (2016)
- Acted as U.S. counsel to Genscript Biotech Corporation in its initial public offering in Hong Kong and concurrent Regulation S international offering outside the U.S. The sponsor was Haitong and the co-underwriters were Haitong and JP Morgan. Dorsey also acted as International Sanction Law counsel to Genscript covering sanction law issues involving Hong Kong, U.S., EU and United Nations, in compliance with HKEX LD76 of 2013 and relevant requirements.
- Advised Hong Kong based private equity firm, Joint Treasure International, in the global auction sale of their multi millions dollar investment project located in Beverly Hills, California, U.S.A.
- Advised Fulum Group, a leading Hong Kong based Chinese restaurant chain, as special U.S. and prospectus drafting counsel in its Hong Kong IPO and concurrent Reg S offering.
- Advised Net Optics Inc., leading provider of total application and network visibility solution, in the acquisition by Ixia for cash USD190 million.
- Advised Carlisle Companies Incorporated in the sale of Carlisle Transportation Products to private equity firm, American Industrial Partners for USD375 million.
- Advised Hopewell Hong Kong Properties Limited, one of the leading developers, owners and operators of high quality properties in Hong Kong, as special U.S. counsel in its proposed spin-off from Hopewell Holdings Limited, a listed company in Hong Kong, via an initial public offering in Hong Kong and concurrent Rule 144A/ Reg S offering. The proposed deal was co-led by BOC International and Credit Suisse, with JP Morgan, HSBC and CITI as co-underwriters. (offering postponed due to adverse market conditions)
- Advised Danish optics technology company, OPDI Technologies, on the joint venture transaction with Hong Kong publicly traded company, O-Net Communication. The deal is one of the recent largest Chinese outbound investments into a product/ technology originated from Denmark.
- Advised Tsui Wah Holdings Limited, the leading Cha Chaan Teng chain owner and operator in Hong Kong, as special U.S. and prospectus drafting counsel in its Hong Kong IPO and concurrent Rule 144A / Reg S offering (USD97 million).
- Advised Xiao Nan Guo Restaurants Holdings Limited, the largest self-owned mid-to high-end Chinese cuisine full-service restaurant chain headquartered in the PRC, as special U.S. counsel in its Hong Kong IPO and concurrent Rule 144A / Reg S offering (USD65 million).
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Panel speaker at the “How to prepare your business for IPO,” organized by the TiE IPO Club, May 8, 2018
- Webinar Moderator, on “M&A in Asia: Beyond the Trends,” Live Web Broadcast, November 16, 2017
- “CRS, Forex Control and AML in PRC: A New World for Cross-border Capital Movement,” seminar in Hong Kong, June 27, 2017
- Webinar Moderator, on “Hong Kong IPO Trends 2017,” with Hong Kong Stock Exchange representative, Live Web Broadcast , February 17, 2017
- Seminar on “China Outbound M&A Legal Risk and Opportunities,” China CFO World Summit in Shenzhen, May 10, 2016
- Seminar on “Hong Kong Legal & Judicial System and Legal Profession of Hong Kong,” The Law Society of Hong Kong, March 7, 2016
- “Pre IPO Consideration & Preparation in Hong Kong,” seminar in Hong Kong, January 25, 2016
- “U.S. Economic Sanctions and Non-U.S. Companies,” seminar in Hong Kong, November 20, 2015
- “Application of Hong Kong Listing Decision LD76 of 2013 and applicable U.S., EU and UN Economic Sanction Rules, for Hong Kong listing applications,” seminar in Hong Kong, November 19, 2015
- The Chamber of Hong Kong Listed Companies In-house Seminar on “Application of U.S. Securities Laws on Hong Kong Listing Candidates And Companies Already Listed on HKEx,” March 27, 2015
- “Offshore 2020 – Looking Forward: An Industry on the Move,” Hong Kong panel speaker, October 7, 2014
- Panel speaker at the “Hong Kong – An International Hub For Legal & Arbitration Services,” Seminar in Cambodia, organized by the Department of Justice of Hong Kong, February 21, 2014
- Panel speaker at the “Hong Kong – An International Hub For Legal & Arbitration Services,” Seminar in Vietnam, organized by the Department of Justice of Hong Kong, February 20, 2014
- “Startup Saturday 2014 Conference : Crowd-funding," keynote speaker, January 25, 2014
- “Offshore 20:20: Opportunities and Challenges Facing the Offshore Industry,” Hong Kong panel speaker, November 1, 2013
- “Assessing Asia Via Hong Kong & Non-competes,” seminar in Minneapolis, October 1, 2013
- “Asia Deal Trend – A Paradigm Shift,” roundtable in New York, September 25, 2013
- “Private Equity and Venture Capital Primer,” seminar in Hong Kong, September 28, 2012
- “Going Global for the Chinese Wind Energy Industry,” panel speaker at the 2011 Bloomberg New Energy Finance Leadership Forum
Industries & Practices
- Banking and Financial Institutions
- Capital Markets
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Professional & Civic
- Regulatory Impact Assessments Working Group of The Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce
- Member of Americas Committee of The Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce
- Member of Legal Committee of The Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce
- Member of The Law Society of Hong Kong International Legal Affairs Committee
- Member of Public Affairs Forum of the Home Affairs Bureau of the Hong Kong Government
- Board Member of the Hong Kong Cricket Club