Chelsea is a partner in Dorsey’s Trial Group. She has experience representing clients in securities, commodities, antitrust, False Claims Act, and business litigation or investigations. She has experience representing clients in proceedings before state and federal courts, the SEC, CFTC, and DOJ, and international arbitration tribunals.
Chelsea has successfully defended Big 4 accountants in numerous malpractice and other disputes stemming from their provision of tax, audit, or advisory services. She also has substantial experience handling shareholder litigation, including litigation involving public companies and disputes between shareholders of closely-held companies.
Prior to joining Dorsey, Chelsea practiced at a large law firm in New York City for eight years. While in New York, Chelsea developed deep knowledge of securities and commodities markets, and routinely advised financial professionals and trading firms regarding regulatory compliance, or represented them in enforcement actions or litigation. Chelsea also has substantial experience representing overseas companies and governments. She is well-versed in the legal issues confronted by overseas persons doing business in the United States.
Chelsea also has expertise regarding U.S. economic sanctions compliance. She has led internal investigations concerning OFAC compliance, represented both domestic and overseas clients before OFAC, and provided in-house training on OFAC compliance to employees.
- Obtained dismissal of all antitrust claims asserted against global commodities company in consolidated class action brought in New York federal court, in which plaintiffs sought billions of dollars in damages.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims asserted against a Big 4 accounting firm in malpractice litigation brought in New York state court.
- On eve of trial, successfully moved in limine to eliminate all damages sought from a Big 4 accounting firm in a malpractice action brought in New York state court.
- Secured favorable settlement for plaintiff water treatment company in case brought in New York federal court, wherein plaintiff asserted claim for wrongful termination of exclusive distribution agreement.
- Obtained decision from New York’s First Department appellate court reversing trial court’s refusal to dismiss breach of fiduciary claims involving an investment company.
- Obtained favorable ruling for respondent from LCIA tribunal in an arbitration relating to a billion-dollar real estate dispute between Russian nationals.
- Obtained favorable ruling for respondent in AAA arbitration relating to a commodity company’s decision to terminate an agreement on the basis of force majeure. Claimant sought hundreds of millions of dollars in damages.
- Secured favorable settlement for a plaintiff textiles company following a trial in New York federal court on plaintiff’s environmental indemnity claims worth hundreds of millions of dollars and relating to its purchase of numerous textile facilities.
- Secured favorable settlement for grocery supplier in lawsuit alleging that supplier tortiously interfered with another supplier’s business.
- Represented small business in OFAC enforcement proceeding, and secured a settlement of charges that resulted in business paying no fines.
- Advised domestic and foreign commodities firms regarding compliance with CFTC regulations, and represented firms in CFTC enforcement actions.
- Advised foreign governments and domestic and foreign companies regarding compliance with U.S. economic sanctions law.
- Advised medical device distributor regarding False Claims Act investigation by U.S. Department of Justice.
- Currently representing a plaintiff shareholder in a closely-held company in statutory buy-out and breach of fiduciary duty litigation.
Industries & Practices
- Antitrust & Competition Law
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Class Action Litigation
- Closely Held Businesses
- Commercial Litigation
- Consumer Financial Services
- Electronic Discovery
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Financial Services Regulatory
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- International Arbitration & Litigation
- LegalMine Document Review Solutions
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement
- Tax Controversy & Litigation
Professional & Civic
- Board Member, Trademark Theater
- Pro bono representation of asylum applicants
- Pro bono representation of Perspectives, Inc. – a non-profit organization that provides recovery and housing services to mothers struggling with mental illness and addiction – in Housing Court
- Volunteer reader for Reader/Writer Program that connects professionals with middle school students in underprivileged school districts