Aaron brings a decade and a half of experience to companies’ quirkiest, thorniest, and most complex employment and trade secret issues. Aaron also works with companies to develop policies and practices that are engines for business growth, that protect companies’ sensitive information, and that reflect the culture and values of the companies he represents. When Aaron’s clients are faced with litigation, he aggressively pushes their cases forward to an efficient resolution.
Aaron advises businesses and provides litigation expertise on all employment and trade secret related matters, from non-competition agreements and data theft, to discrimination and harassment claims under Oregon, Washington, and federal law. Aaron represents clients before the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries, the Washington Human Rights Commission, the Washington Department of Labor and Industries, and the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Aaron represents companies in a wide variety of industries including, banking, financial services, computer software, semiconductor fabrication, retail, and medical supplies.
- Obtained an early employer favorable settlement enforcing non-compete agreements against several departing employees.
- Assisted several clients with comprehensive employment policy reviews and drafting/revision of employment handbooks.
- Defended complaint alleging disability discrimination and retaliation. Obtained a low dollar settlement before summary judgment phase of litigation.
- Negotiated favorable early settlement of non-compete litigation on behalf of plaintiff corporation.
- Successfully argued numerous pretrial motions and obtained a defense ruling on independent contractor status on behalf of defendant.
- Defended BOLI complaint alleging age, race, and disability discrimination. Obtained dismissal.
- Represented client in claims against former employees for breach of employment contract and misappropriation of trade secrets. Managed complex computer forensic investigation. Obtained temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction. Based upon computer forensic evidence obtained, convinced new employer and former employees to enter into a favorable settlement including a permanent injunction.
- Defended client against final paycheck claims. Negotiated a favorable settlement.
- Defended clients from claims by former employer alleging breach of employment contract, breach of fiduciary duty, usurpation of corporate opportunity, and misappropriation of trade secrets. Successfully negotiated favorable settlement.
- Defended FMLA, OFLA, and ADEA claims under federal and Oregon law. Obtained summary judgment.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- The 2014 Dorsey Employment Law Guide
- Speaker, Dorsey Labor & Employment Law Briefing: “Employment Law Update: A Look Back at 2017 and What’s New for 2018,” (February 27, 2018)
- State and Federal Labor and Employment Laws Applicable to Tribes or Tribal Commercial Entities (June, 2014) Seattle University
- FLSA – The Law We Love To Hate! (February 2014)
- The Public Meaning Rule: Reconciling Meaning, Intent and Contract Interpretation (2012), 7th Annual International Conference on Contracts, Thomas Jefferson School of Law
- Ethical Challenges and Changing Technology (2011), National Business Institute
- Legal Challenges Facing Staffing Agencies (2008), Northwest Staffing Resources
- Avoiding Discrimination and Retaliation Claims (2007), Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries 23rd Annual Employment Law Conference
Industries & Practices
Banking & Financial InstitutionsExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Energy & Natural ResourcesExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Food, Beverage & AgribusinessExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Healthcare & Life SciencesExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Commercial Litigation
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Labor & Employment
- Video Games
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America©, 2018-2023
- Named one of “America’s Leading Business Lawyers” by Chambers USA (Labor & Employment), 2018-2022
- Recognized as a "Labor & Employment Star – Washington" by Benchmark Litigation, 2022
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America Employment Law Issue, 2021
- Dorsey & Whitney – Scales of Justice Team Award (The World Ventilator Foundation), 2021
- Recognized by Client Choice for Excellence in Client Service – Labor & Employment, Washington, 2017 and 2018