Catherine offers strategic and pragmatic advice to help businesses and individuals develop, protect and utilize intellectual property rights. She advises clients on acquiring, registering, maintaining and enforcing trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets in the United States and internationally.
In addition, her practice includes drafting and negotiating complex intellectual property and technology agreements. Catherine also counsels clients on branding strategies, ecommerce and internet issues as well as intellectual property infringement problems. For many years, Catherine has led a team that serves as the designated agent for a mid-sized ecommerce platform, handling all of its takedown requests.
Education & Admissions
Brooklyn Law School (J.D., 2003), summa cum laude; Editor-in-Chief, Brooklyn Law Review, 2002-2003
University of Utah (B.A., History and Political Science, 1994)
- New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein, 2003-2004
- Negotiated complex managed services agreement against IBM.
- Drafted and negotiated numerous SaaS and on-premise software license agreements.
- Helped client navigate the clearance and registration of major corporate rebranding in the United States and many other countries.
- Assisted client with incorporation of significant product brand acquisition, including analysis of market expansion, licensing relationships and enforcement efforts.
- Counseled start-up media technology platform client on licensing formation, including for NFT platform, and drafted related agreements.
- Drafted and negotiated licensing agreements for launch of products using client’s artwork.
- Negotiated intellectual property provisions regarding battery storage for solar projects.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Educational Publishing, Technology & Services
- Emerging Companies
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Intellectual Property
- Technology Commerce
- Trademark, Copyright & Advertising
Professional & Civic
- Advisory Board Member, Women Tech Council, 2020–present
- Ballet West Board of Directors, 2013–2015
- Chair, Salt Lake County Arts & Culture Advisory Board, 2019–2020; vice chair, 2016–2018; member 2014–2016
- Chair, Intellectual Property Section, Utah State Bar, 2020–present
- Steering Committee Member, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board Pro Bono Launch 2021