Effective education is the critical factor that enables individuals to prosper in an increasingly competitive world. To meet the challenges of the 21st century, educational publishers, technology companies and other participants in the education industry, including both for-profit and not-for-profit academic institutions, need to adapt continually to new educational models, technologies and market conditions.
The attorneys in our Educational Publishing, Technology and Services Industry Group regularly counsel both well-established and emerging companies and institutions serving the early childhood, K-12 and higher education markets. Our engagements span a wide range of areas, including mergers and acquisitions, equity and debt financings, intellectual property, tax planning and commercial litigation.
We represent clients across the education industry, including traditional and online publishing, testing and assessment, e-learning and academic and administrative services.
- Penguin Group (USA) Inc. v. Time/Warner Retail Sales and Marketing Services. We acted as counsel for plaintiff publisher and obtained a $3 million judgment for breach of the parties’ distribution agreement.
- Stutzman v. Armstrong, et al. We acted as counsel for defendant publisher Penguin Group (USA) LLC in consumer fraud class action brought on behalf of the California residents who purchased Lance Armstrong’s book, It’s Not About the Bike; case dismissed with prejudice on basis of First Amendment principles.
- Peter Lampack Agency, Inc. v. Martha Grimes and Penguin Group (USA) Inc. We were counsel to defendant publisher in contract and tort case brought by agent for author against author and publisher; case dismissed.
- Richards v. Penguin Putnam Inc. We acted as counsel to defendant publisher in a defamation, false light, and misappropriation of likeness case; case dismissed.
- Tarcher v. Penguin Putnam, Inc. We served as counsel to defendant publisher against fraud and breach of contract claims relating to a licensing agreement; claims dismissed and plaintiff’s motion for reconsideration denied.
- Russo v. NCS Pearson, Inc. et. al. Defended major educational testing providers against class action claims alleging that providers had acted negligently and improperly when scanning and scoring SAT tests; favorably settled.
- We acted as counsel to an education technology company in connection with a $23 million credit facility.
- We represented an education technology corporation in connection with a $19 million Rule 506 private placement.
- We developed an LLC structure and agreements for a joint venture between US and international medical and educational institutions to provide international clinical trial services to pharmaceutical sponsors.
- We represented numerous start-up companies in transactions with universities and academic medical centers to license-in core technologies.
Industries & Practices
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Emerging Companies
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Non-Profit & Tax Exempt Organizations
- Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & Management
- Private Equity
- Tax Controversy & Litigation
- Technology Commerce
- Trademark, Copyright & Advertising