Dorsey’s Government Solutions & Investigations Practice Group includes lawyers in our Government Enforcement, Government Contracts, National Security Law, and Export Controls, Economic Sanctions, & International Trade practices to offer clients our combined expertise.
Increased global threats and tensions have heightened the focus on U.S. national security. As a result, a complex set of rules and requirements can affect a wide range of operations, including exports and investment activity. Global businesses of all sizes turn to Dorsey to help them understand and comply with a myriad of U.S. laws, policies and procedures aimed at improving national security.
Our National Security Law practice is led by experienced lawyers with government national security and prosecutorial backgrounds. We know the regulatory landscape and the challenge it presents to global business. We can assist any organization facing these challenges and provide guidance and direction in assessing the risks and opportunities. Our experienced team is ready to offer advice and counsel on the specific challenges your organization must overcome to do business domestically and expand globally.
Our National Security Law Practice has assisted with:
- National security reviews of foreign investments in or acquisitions of U.S. companies under the Foreign Investment and National Security Act (FINSA) administered by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS)
- U.S. trade embargoes administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) within the U.S. Treasury Department against other countries
- Munitions export controls under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) administered by the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) within the U.S. State Department
- “Dual use” export controls under the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) administered by the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) within the U.S. Commerce Department
- Nuclear technology export controls administered by the office of International Regimes and Agreements (OIRA) within the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) of the U.S. Energy Department and nuclear commodities export and import controls administered by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)
- Facility and individual security clearances for defense contractors to handle classified information under the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM) administered by the Defense Security Service (DSS) in the U.S. Defense Department
- National defense or homeland security related contracts and business arrangements
- In collaboration with Dorsey’s SEC lawyers, responses to inquiries from the SEC's Office of Global Security Risk (OGSR) about public company reporting on their business activities in countries subject to U.S. embargoes and sanctions
Industries & Practices
- Anti-Corruption Group
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Government Contracts Counseling & Litigation
- International Trade
- Mergers & Acquisitions