Dorsey’s Government Solutions & Investigations Practice Group includes lawyers in our Government Enforcement, Government Contracts, National Security Law, and Export Controls, Economic Sanctions, & International Trade practices to offer clients our combined expertise.
Our International Trade practice advises large and small companies on the legal aspects of importing and exporting goods and services to and from the United States. This includes export licensing proceedings and compliance, intellectual property issues, Exon-Florio concerns, U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance, health and safety regulations and compliance with SEC and stock exchange rules for non-U.S. issuer securities listing on U.S. stock exchanges.
We assist clients with issues before the U.S. International Trade Commission, the U.S. Departments of Commerce and Justice, U.S. Customs and Border Protection and other federal agencies that deal with international trade regulation and in related appeals before the U.S. Court of International Trade and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
We provide counsel on:
- Export control and economic sanctions laws and regulations
- Intellectual property trade enforcement proceedings
- Trade policy and legislation
- Customs compliance and enforcement
- FCPA compliance
- Export licensing proceedings and other compliance activities before the Bureau of Industry and Security of the U.S. Department of Commerce, the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls of the U.S. Department of State, and the Office of Foreign Assets Control of the U.S. Department of the Treasury.
- Proceedings under Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974 concerning the enforcement of U.S. rights under trade agreements and in response to foreign practices before the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative, and other U.S. agencies.
- Legislative matters before the U.S. Congress and its committees, such as the House Ways and Means Committee and the Senate Finance Committee.
- Matters relating to the World Trade Organization (WTO) and regional trade agreements.
- Matters relating to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and related intellectual property disputes.
- Proceedings against unfairly traded imports under Section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930, as amended (patent, copyright and trademark infringements).
- Proceedings related to the protection of patents, registered copyrights and trademarks before U.S. Customs and relevant federal courts.
- Foreign investments, mergers or acquisitions in the United States that may affect U.S. national security or homeland security interests under the so-called Exon-Florio law.
- Foreign ownership, control or influence of U.S. defense or other government contractors.
- Supply of non-U.S. origin goods or services to U.S. government agencies.
- Health and safety regulation of goods imported into the United States.
- Regulation of payments to agents or other third parties under the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the OECD Convention, the Inter-American Convention Against Corruption and the United Nations Convention Against Corruption.
- Listing of non-U.S. issuer securities on U.S. stock exchanges, including compliance with relevant U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission regulations and stock exchange rules.
Industries & Practices
- Anti-Corruption Group
- National Security Law
- Technology Commerce