SARAH DELIVERS PRACTICAL ADVICE TO HELP BUSINESSES GROW THEIR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY ASSETS AND ACHIEVE THEIR BUSINESS GOALS.
Sarah has over fifteen years’ experience helping clients protect, enforce and exploit their intellectual property assets and overseeing clients’ general business needs, with particular depth in the creative industries, tech, financial and consumer product sectors.
Sarah has extensive experience in a wide scope of corporate and commercial agreements and transactions involving intellectual property, and assisting with the day-to-day needs of clients. She clears, registers and enforces brand names in the U.S. and internationally. She handles sales and distribution issues, as well as complex licensing matters. She represents clients in Trademark Trial and Appeal Board proceedings and in disputes involving intellectual property, including mobile app and domain name conflicts. She also counsels clients on marketing, advertising, contest and online reputation management issues.
Also admitted to practice in Canada, Sarah has extensive experience in Canadian cross-border issues and helps Canadian businesses enter the U.S. market.
Sarah is the head of Dorsey’s New York Trademark Group and President of the Canadian American Bar Association.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Panelist, “Annual Review: 2013 Litigation and Trends,” Ontario Bar Institute 2014, Entertainment, Communications and Media Law Program, February 2014
- "Social Media Trends, Risks and Rewards," Dorsey & Whitney Symposium for Corporate Leaders, New York, April 17, 2012
- "Marketing in Cyberspace: Legal Protection in an Age of Social Media," Ontario-New York Legal Summit, Toronto, Canada, March 28, 2012
- "Current and Trending Topics in Brand, Famous Personality and Character Licensing: Development to Bankruptcy, Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law (EASL)," Section Annual Meeting, New York, NY, January 23, 2012
- "Table Topic Leader, Infringement by Product Substitution," INTA 2011 Annual Meeting, San Francisco, May 2011
- "Building a Successful Brand Identity: Getting it Right from Design to Legal," Dorsey & Whitney Luncheon Symposium, co-presentation with Jonathan Ford, Designer and Co-Founder, Pearlfisher, June 21, 2010
- "Fashion Design – Copyright and Other Protection North and South of the Border," American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) Spring Conference, May 7, 2010
- "More than IP: Understanding the Critical Issues Global Companies Must Consider," Panel member, SIAA Ed Tech Business Forum, November 2009
- "Protecting Against Parallel Imports and Gray Market Goods," Anti-Counterfeiting and Brand Protection Symposium, Toronto, Canada, October 2009
- "Tasting, Kiting, Phishing and Pharming: IP Law Goes Online," Dorsey & Whitney Corporate Counsel Symposium, Minneapolis, Minnesota, November 2008
- "Search Engines, Keyword-Linked Online Advertising and Trademark Infringement," Speaker, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada - New York State Bar Association Summer IP Meeting, Montreal, Canada, July 2008
- "Trademarks In Business Transactions," Moderator, INTA Roundtable Program, February 2008
- "Employee Inventions - A Trademark Perspective," Dorsey & Whitney-sponsored CLE seminar, February 2007
- "What Every Business Needs to Know About Copyright", Dorsey & Whitney-sponsored CLE seminar, September 2006
- "North American Licensing Strategies and Issues," Moderator, INTA Annual Meeting, May 2006
- "Advanced Trademark Issues for the IP Practitioner," Program Chair and Presenter, Association of the Bar of the City of New York, April 2005
- “Advanced Trademark Licensing Strategies” presented at Harvard Club, New York , co-presenter, L. Deinard, February 2004
Industries & Practices
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Educational Publishing, Technology & Services
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Mining & Natural Resources
- Technology Commerce
- Trademark, Copyright, Advertising & Brand Management
Professional & Civic
- Member, Executive Committee, Entertainment, Sports and Arts Law (EASL) Section of the New York State Bar Association
- President, Canadian American Bar Association
- Member, International Trade-mark Issues Committee, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC), 2011-present
- Member, International Trademark Association (INTA), Trademark Office Practices Committee, 2007-2010
- Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC), Membership Committee, 2007-2009
- Member, Trademarks and Unfair Competition Committee, Bar Association of the City of New York (2002-2005)
- Law Society of Upper Canada