Gan has extensive hands-on experiences in foreign direct investments in China, Chinese outbound investments, cross-border M&As, and sino-foreign joint-venture projects. He represents both large multinational listed companies and private SMEs in a variety of industries, including TMT, healthcare, manufacturing, transport, education, food & beverage, and fashion & luxury, etc.
Gan also regularly provides tax advice to corporations, pass-through entities and individuals in terms of investment structure, cross-border transactions, corporate reorganizations, equity/debt financing, application of tax treaties, and more generally on various income tax and value-added tax issues. He also frequently negotiates on behalf of his clients with Chinese tax authorities across the country.
Before joining Dorsey, Gan has 10 year's professional experiences, both in a boutique European law firm’s Shanghai office as corporate and tax lawyer and in Alibaba Cloud Computing Co., Ltd. as legal counsel.
Education & Admissions
Columbia University School of Law (LL.M., 2020), Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
Fudan University Law School (LL.M., 2011)
Wuhan University Law School (LL.B. & B.A. (French), 2008)
- New York admission pending. China (inactive)
- Chinese (Mandarin), English, French
- Represented a French listed sports industry group in its acquisition of a sports facilities company in China.
- Represented a Chinese private optical products company in its sale of equity and assets to a US optics company.
- Represented a French medical device company in its joint venture project with a Chinese GEM listed medical products company.
- Represented a French children’s garments company in its divesture of its China business.
- Represented a Chinese biotech company in its acquisition of a Belgian medical devices company including its US subsidiary.
- Represented a Chinese wine industry fund in its acquisition of several vineyards in Bordeaux France.
- Represented a French children’s book press in its equity financing from a large Chinese State-owned publishing house.
- Represented a Chinese listed company in its acquisition of assets and business of a French non-ferrous metals processing company in the process of liquidation.
- Advised and represented before Chinese tax authorities a French transportation group in its indirect equity transfer of China-related interest under the PRC Tax Circular  No. 698 and Announcement  No. 7.
- Advised and represented before Chinese tax authorities a French automobile parts group in its internal corporate reorganization in China in application of special tax treatment under the PRC Tax Circular  No. 59 and Announcement  No. 48.
- Advised and represented before Chinese tax authorities a Hong Kong technical company controlled by a European company in its non-resident business income taxation in China in application of tax treaty.
- Advised and represented before Chinese tax authorities a French industrial equipment manufacturer’s subsidiary in China in response to issues found in its annual final settlement of Enterprise Income Tax.
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Emerging Companies
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Investment Funds
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Tax Controversy & Litigation