Layne’s corporate practice focuses on merger and acquisitions, financing transactions, license and services agreements, emerging companies, and general corporate work. He is co-chair of the Mergers & Acquisitions practice group.
A significant amount of Layne’s experience involves advising operating companies and investors in the healthcare and technology industries. On the healthcare front, he regularly handles transactions involving hospitals, surgical centers and physician practices. On the technology front, Layne assists a variety of tech companies with intellectual property licenses, services agreements, distribution agreements and joint ventures.
Representative Corporate Transactions
- Represented a private equity found in connection with an investment in a group of addiction recovery centers.
- Represented a private equity fund in the acquisition of a behavioral health hospital.
- Represented a hospital in connection with the acquisition of multiple health care facilities, including an ambulatory surgical center, urgent care facilities and physician practices.
- Represented a physician-owned hospital in the $34 million sale of a majority interest to a strategic investor.
- Represented a hospital in connection with the procurement of a $27 million credit facility.
- Represented iArchives, Inc., a document digitization company, in its $27 million sale to Ancestry.com Inc.
- Represented a software company in connection with a $35 million sale to a strategic investor.
- Represented a technology outsourcing company in connection with the sale of a controlling interest to a private equity group for $30 million.
- Represented a software company in the sale of a division to a strategic investor for $18 million.
- Represented Crescent Point Energy Corp. in connection with its $784 million acquisition of Ute Energy Upstream Holdings LLC.
- Represented a software company in connection with a $55 million loan transaction with the lending arm of a private equity group.
- Represented the legal intermediary in connection with Salt Lake County's Pay for Success programs focused on homelessness and recidivism.
Representative Technology and Licensing Transactions
- Represented a SaaS company, drafting and negotiating license and services agreements with multiple large franchisors, under which an enterprise software platform is provided to hundreds of franchise locations.
- Served as outside general counsel for an IT outsourcing business, assisting in drafting and negotiating master services agreements, SaaS licenses and other contracts.
- Represented a large software company, advising on contract negotiations with resellers and software customers.
- Negotiated and drafted services agreements, license agreements, reseller agreements, distributor agreements, manufacturing agreements, and other commercial contracts.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- The Case of Disney’s Abandoned Fusion Joint Venture – Planning for an Exit, Association of Corporate Counsel Seminar, August 31, 2016
- Preparing for an Exit, Corporate Counsel Section of the Utah Bar, October 29, 2015
- Preparing your Business and its Employees for an Acquisition, 2015 Utah Employment Law Seminar, May 6, 2015
- 10 Key Issues to Consider in Negotiating Commercial Contracts – The Community Foundation of Utah Seminar, February 21, 2012
Industries & Practices
- Closely Held Businesses
- Emerging Companies
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Technology Commerce
- Recommended by Legal 500 in Mergers & Acquisitions, 2015, 2019
- Listed in Utah Business Magazine Legal Elite, Corporate Law and Transactions; Mergers and Acquisitions, 2013, 2015-2019
- First Place, Mary Moers Wenig Student Writing Competition, American College of Trust & Estate Counsel, 2005.
- Faculty Award for Meritorious Achievement and Distinguished Service, J. Reuben Clark Law School, 2005.
- J. Reuben Clark Award, J. Reuben Clark Law School, 2004.