ERIC RYTTER IS A VALUED ADVISOR TO HIS MID-MARKET PRIVATE EQUITY SPONSOR AND PRIVATE COMPANY CLIENTS, HELPING THEM NAVIGATE A VARIETY OF LEGAL CHALLENGES, FROM OPERATING ISSUES AND FINANCINGS TO THE INTRICACIES OF M&A STRATEGY AND EXECUTION.
Eric is a partner and chair of Dorsey's Private Equity Practice Group. His practice focuses on advising private equity funds, other financial sponsors, their portfolio companies, and international corporate entities on a broad range of legal issues and transactional scenarios, including domestic and cross-border acquisitions, leveraged acquisitions, growth equity investments, financing arrangements, and other corporate advisory matters. He has extensive experience advising on corporate and M&A issues relating to financial restructuring and reorganization, as well as investments in distressed situations and transactions. He also has experience with private equity and venture capital investments in the United Kingdom and continental Europe, as well as in China.
His recent transactions have included representation of:
- TA Associates in connection with its investment in Biocomposites, a manufacturer and marketer of calcium compound biologics for surgical use.
- NorthEdge Capital and senior management on the sale of Utiligroup Ltd., a market leading provider of innovative SaaS solutions to the U.K. utilities and energy industry, to Accel-KKR.
- RS Energy, a portfolio company of Warburg Pincus LLC, in connection with add-on acquisitions and certain ongoing corporate matters.
- Glansaol, a portfolio company of Warburg Pincus LLC, in connection with certain ongoing corporate matters.
- KidKraft, Inc., a portfolio company of Mid Ocean Partners, in connection with certain ongoing corporate matters.
- Early Warning Services, LLC in connection with its acquisition of clearXchange, the largest financial institution-led digital payments network in the United States.
- Serent Capital and certain of its affiliates in connection with various portfolio company-related strategic and operational matters.
- TA Associates and certain affiliates in connection with portfolio company strategic and operational matters.
- A Tampa-based investment fund in connection with investments in the digital payments industry.
- Certain affiliates of Livingbridge Equity Partners in connection with portfolio company matters.
- Hillerich & Bradsby Co. in connection with the sale to Wilson Sporting Goods of global brand, sales, and innovation rights relating to the LOUISVILLE SLUGGER mark, and related manufacturing and licensing arrangements.
- Early Warning Services, LLC in connection with its acquisition of Authentify, Inc., a worldwide leader in phone-based, multi-factor authentication solutions.
- Funds affiliated with Thrivent Financial for Lutherans in connection with certain co-investments.
- Lee Equity Partners, LLC and certain affiliates in connection with a transaction with Project Pie, LLC, a fast-casual pizza chain based in Carlsbad, California.
- Early Warning Services, LLC in its Series D investment in Payfone Inc. and negotiation of strategic alliance.
- Certain investors in America's Best Franchising, Inc. in connection with the sale of ABFI to Vantage Hospitality.
- A New York based family office in connection with a series of investments in the hospitality and recreational industries.
- CVC Capital Partners in its $4.4 billion proposed acquisition of the iShares ETF business from Barclays.
- Icahn Capital LP, in connection with its proposed bid to acquire the assets of Blockbuster Inc. out of bankruptcy.
- Citicorp Mezzanine Partners in connection with the sale of Standard Steel to Trimaran Capital Partners.
- U.S. Treasury in the restructuring of Chrysler and GM.
- Angelo, Gordon & Co. in connection with its acquisition of the roadside assistance business from Citigroup.
- Bain Capital in connection with the financing of Bain's acquisition of FCI from the French energy group Areva.
- A sponsor-backed investment vehicle specializing in distressed and turnaround investment situations in connection with investments in the hospitality and timeshare industries.
- The Bermuda provisional liquidators of Lehman Re Ltd. in connection with the chapter 15 bankruptcy case of Lehman Re and certain asset dispositions with respect thereto.
- A global Information Communications Technology networking and related services company in connection with its first investment in China, an acquisition of a distribution and servicing business with over 700 employees.
- Xerium Technologies, Inc. in connection with its global restructuring and emergence from Chapter 11.
- Fuel Outdoor Holdings LLC, a portfolio company of Och-Ziff Capital Management, in connection with various corporate matters and follow-on investments.
- ICV Partners and its portfolio company, Sterling Foods, Ltd., in connection with Sterling's acquisitions of Buena Vista Food Products, Inc. and Blue Ribbon Baking Company.
- Panaria Group Industrie Ceramiche S.p.A. in its acquisition of Florida Tile Industries, Inc. from Milestone Capital.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Host & Moderator, “Investing in Brand Value,” June 2017
- Moderator, “What Are the Issues After a Portfolio Company Changes Hands?” Capital Roundtable PE Operating Partner and Portfolio Company Conference, May 2017
- “Outbound China Foreign Direct Investment into the U.S. and its Impact on the M&A Market,” Presentation to Hi-Finance Delegation (Chinese financial investor professionals), May 2017
- Chair & Moderator, “Innovation Clusters,” ABA Section of International Law, Spring Meeting, Washington D.C. April 2017
- Moderator, “Human Capital Integration During M&A,” Capital Roundtable PE Operating Partners and Portfolio Company Conference, May 2016
- Presentation to PICC Property & Casualty Limited (China’s largest and the world’s 3rd largest insurer): “The US Private Equity Fundraising Market,” April 2016
- Presentation to Robert Bosch GmbH: “Negotiating M&A Transactions with a Private Equity Counterparty,” November 2015
- Moderator, “The Dynamic Role of Operating Partners—How It’s Evolving in PE Firms’ Structures,” Capital Roundtable PE Operating Partner and Portfolio Company Conference, June 2015
- Moderator, “Private Equity Fund Formation: The Changing Landscape of GP/LP Negotiations,” ABA Section of International Law, Spring Meeting 2015
- Moderator, “Creating Value through Acquisitions,” Capital Roundtable Best Practices for Overseeing PE Portfolio Companies Conference, September 2014
- Chair & Moderator, “Private Equity & Portfolio Companies,” ABA Section of International Law, Spring Meeting 2014
- Panelist, “Unleashing the Tiger – the Importance of Infrastructure in International Investment and Development,” ABA Section of International Law, Spring Meeting 2014
- Speaker, “Strategic Expansion and Financing Opportunities for Chinese Companies in the U.S.,” China New Leaders Forum 2012
- Panelist, “Trends in Venture Capital Investing,” UVA Law/Darden 2010 Private Equity Symposium
- New York Private Equity Network (“NYPEN”) Legal Education Series (2005 – 2008)
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Blockchain & Digital Assets
- Closely Held Businesses
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Digital Health
- Emerging Companies
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Investment Funds
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
Professional & Civic
- Chair, International Private Equity and Alternative Investments Committee, ABA Section of International Law, 2014-2016
- Vice-Chair, International Private Equity and Alternative Investments Committee, ABA Section of International Law, 2012 - 2014
- Board Member, Camp Fire Conservation Fund