Bonnie was general counsel for Anchorage-based Calista Corporation, an Alaska Native Corporation representing over 24,000 shareholders that serves as parent to over 35 subsidiaries engaged in a wide range of industries, including military defense contracting, construction, real estate, telecommunications, environmental and natural resource development, and oil field services.
Bonnie was the chief legal officer for The Alaska Wireless Network, a startup wholesale wireless telecommunications company; and was corporate counsel for General Communication, Inc., the largest telecommunications and technology company in Alaska.
- Led strategic business and legal initiatives.
- Implemented corporate policies, procures, and programs on all legal matters.
- Created and managed Legal work and budget, internal and external counsel and paralegals. Saved over $700K in outside counsel fees by evaluating then settling unproductive disputes and active cost and fee structure management. Saved nearly $600K in insurance premiums.
- Close collaboration with IT Department on governance practices and policies, and DFAR compliance.
- Oversaw closure and liquidation of unprofitable entities.
- Deployed Enterprise Risk Management survey of all entities. Co-created “traffic light” corporate goals and metrics matrix for Board of Directors. Created/presented Code of Conduct, officer/director fiduciary duties, preserving the corporate veil, and social media training. Issued wide variety of guidance memos, including proxy rule compliance, independent contractor v. employee risk, lobbying compliance, attorney-client privilege in in-house context, creation of minutes in compliance with Alaska Supreme Court Pederson v. ASRC decision. Co-Created/co-presented SBA 8(a) regulation changes, government contracting and Truth in Negotiations Act training.
- Facilitated Donlin Gold Project information development gathering session; obtained dozens of Project support letters from directors, employees, and 3rd parties for the U.S. Army Corps Environmental Impact Statement. Co-authored “duty to consult” letters to U.S. EPA.
- Investigated and resolved of Code of Conduct complaints and breaches of confidentiality, with unanimous Board approval of results.
- Conducted substantial benchmarking of best practices and legal research on ANSCA matters, culminating in new forms, practices and procedures.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Financial Services Regulatory
- Government Contracts Counseling & Litigation
- Indian & Alaska Native
- Lending Transactions
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Professional & Civic
- Initiated Alaska Model Entities Transaction Act – Enacted into Alaska Statutes.
- PRESIDENT, Turnagain Elementary PTA & Chair, Turnagain Legislative Advocacy Committee - raised $220,000 in State Appropriations, transformed school into robust wireless environment, deployed computers in classes and interactive white boards in all classes; survived 2 Governor’s vetoes with extensive lobbying efforts.
- CO-CHAIR, Read-a-Thon, Turnagain Elementary PTA - students read >300,000 pages annually in 30 days; significant funding source, encouraging student literacy.
- MEMBER, UAA Truman Scholarship Nominee Panel (annually for > 20 years).
- DIRECTOR, SECRETARY, TREASURER – The Aleut Foundation.
- HARRY S. TRUMAN SCHOLAR FOR ALASKA - National Competition; $20,000 Scholarship for Academic Excellence and Service.
- GCI/UUI TERRA SOUTH WEST Award – “In recognition of your outstanding project leadership and contributions.”
- GCI TERRA NORTHWEST Award – “In recognition of your contributions and to honor the tremendous accomplishments of all involved with the historic completion of Phase 1 of TERRA Northwest.”
- KODIAK KENAI CABLE CO. Recognition – For support of the Kodiak Kenai Fiber Link Project.
- MISS MANNERS AWARD – From “The Staff” at Hartig, Rhodes, Norman, Mahoney & Edwards.
- NATIONAL BUSINESS INSTITUTE PRESENTER -Liens and Credit Issues Affecting Real Estate – Advanced Real Estate Law in Alaska.
- NATIONAL BANK OF ALASKA PRESENTER – to Commercial Lending Officers - Creation and Perfection of Liens on Collateral.
- ALASKA BAR ASSOCIATION CLE- THE MANY HATS OF IN-HOUSE COUNSEL Panel Moderator- Understanding & Safeguarding the Attorney-Client Privilege.
- ALASKA BAR ASSOCIATION CLE- THE HIDDEN COSTS OF SEXUAL HARASSMENT, presenter