Kim is a Partner in the Trial group, who has served as counsel in a number of high-exposure cases. She regularly appears in both the federal and state trial courts in Utah, as well as before the state's administrative agencies. Kim has also appeared pro hac vice in approximately 15 jurisdictions on behalf of clients with national litigation needs. She handles all aspect of litigation, including pre-litigation counseling, settlement, trial, and appeal.
Kim has a diverse litigation background, having represented clients in cases involving breach of fiduciary duty, theft of trade secrets, breach of non-competition agreements, licensing disputes, benefits determinations, false advertising, product liability matters, and class action allegations. She is regarded for her skills in simplifying technical issues for judges and juries.
Clients appreciate Kim’s strong mid-western work ethic and values. As a South Dakota native raised in a small manufacturing town, Kim worked two jobs as a teenager to put herself through college and to earn a scholarship to the University of Utah College of Law. She gives back to her community today through work on numerous charitable boards, bar committees, and pro bono service. As the mother of two young artists, Kim is particularly passionate about causes supporting women, diversity, and the local arts community.
Education & Admissions
University of Utah, S. J. Quinney College of Law (J.D., 2001),
- Utah Law Review
- Leary Scholar
South Dakota State University (B.S., Political Science, 1998), with highest honors
- Supreme Court of Utah
- U.S. District Court for the District of Utah
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Successfully defending a publicly-traded medical records retrieval company against a $100+ million securities fraud claim; resulting in summary judgment in favor of our client.
- Successfully represented a lender to recover millions of dollars in damages incurred as a result of negligent construction practices.
- Successfully represented a medical provider in multiple reimbursement actions and benefit disputes involving UCR charges, single patient agreements, plan benefits determinations, medical necessity claims, and breach of provider services contracts.
- Successfully represented a major health plan in defense of administrative actions pertaining to Medicaid benefits determinations.
- Successfully represented an international software development company in injunctive proceedings and contract actions against five European businesses valued in excess of $10 million.
- Secured a jury verdict in favor of a major automotive manufacturer against a product liability claim in which the plaintiff sought $18 million in damages based upon an allegedly defective fuel system.
- Successfully represented a governmental transportation agency in the defective engineering design of an $87 million highway improvement project.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Trial Academy: Panelist, Utah State Bar Litigation Section’s Trial Academy (March 2022)
- Findings from the 2020 Survey on the Advancement and Retention of Women: Women Lawyers of Utah (December 2020)
- We Can Work it Out, Perspectives from Diversity & Inclusion Champions: Panelist, Dorsey Corporate Counsel Symposium (October 2019)
- Professionalism & Civility: Presenter, Utah Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel (October 2017)
- Employment in the Digital Age: Presenter, Dorsey Labor & Employment Seminar (March 2017)
- Women Lawyers of Utah Annual Professionalism & Civility CLE: Moderator (June 2015)
- Resolving Business Disputes – Community Foundation of Utah Non-Profit Clinic (May 2014)
- How Leading Lawyers Think: Case Evaluation and Strategy - Panelist, Utah Fall Forum (November 2013)
- Banter with the Bench – Women Lawyers of Utah (October 2013)
- Getting the Best Results Cost Efficiently – Billable Hour Alternatives, Presenter, Utah Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel (August 2010)
Industries & Practices
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Products Liability
- Real Estate Litigation
Professional & Civic
- Supreme Court Advisory Committee on the Utah Rules of Civil Procedure (2020 - present)
- Utah State Bar Ethics and Discipline Committee (2018 – present)
- Utah State Bar Litigation Section
- Section Chair (2022-2023)
- Executive Committee Member (2016 – present)
- Utah State Bar Character & Fitness Committee, Co-Chair and Member (2008 – 2018)
- Utah State Bar Admissions Committee Member (2014 – 2018)
- Women Lawyers of Utah, Board Member (2014 – 2022)
- President (2021 – 2022)
- Co-Chair, Special Projects overseeing the 2020 Initiative on the Advancement and Retention of Women Lawyers (2018-2020)
- Salt Lake Acting Company Board of Trustees
- Susan G. Komen Utah Affiliate Board of Directors and Volunteer Grant Reviewer
- St. Vincent de Paul School and Parish Advisory Boards: Board Member; 2018 Volunteer of the Year
- University of Utah College of Law Young Alumni Association: Board Member (2003-2011)
- Contributed more than 50+ Diversity hours, 2020
- Named one of “America’s Leading Business Lawyers” by Chambers USA (Litigation: General Commercial), 2019-2021
- Listed as a Mountain States Super Lawyer, 2018-2021
- Utah's Legal Elite: Civil Litigation, Utah Business magazine, 2010-2011, 2014-2021
- 40 Under 40: Utah Business magazine, 2015
- Horizon Award Recipient, Utah Defense Lawyers' Association, 2009