As an associate in Dorsey’s Technology Commerce Practice Group, Ali works closely with clients to craft and negotiate intellectual property and technology license, development, supply, and sponsored research agreements to meet their long-term business goals and short-term needs. Ali’s technology-based transactional practice spans across various sectors, including biotechnology, software, and consumer products.
Ali’s prior experience focused on intellectual property disputes with an emphasis on patent, trade secret, and trademark litigation and included representing foreign and domestic companies in a variety of industries in federal district courts, at the International Trade Commission, and at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Education & Admissions
University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 2014), cum laude; Note and Comment Editor, Wisconsin Law Review
University of Wisconsin - Madison (B.S., Pharmacology and Toxicology, 2011), with distinction; Covance Award (scholarship, leadership, and good citizenship)
- Provides strategic counseling regarding IP matters to clients.
- Drafts and negotiates a wide variety of technology-focused national and international commercial and academic agreements, including development and collaboration, SaaS, licensing, and sale and purchasing agreements.
- Defended a warehousing and order fulfillment company accused of trademark infringement and achieved a favorable case-dispositive settlement.
- Represented a medical device company in an action before the International Trade Commission. After a favorable evidentiary ruling, patentee unilaterally withdrew its complaint and terminated the investigation.
- Defended numerous pharmaceutical companies in matters arising under the Hatch-Waxman Amendments to the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act and achieved favorable case-dispositive settlements.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- Ambiguous Regulation and Questionable Patentability: A Toxic Future for In Vitro Companion Diagnostic Devices and Personalized Medicine?, Wisconsin Law Review (2013)
Industries & Practices
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Technology Commerce