CATHY’S CLIENTS SEEK HER GUIDANCE IN THE SELECTION, REGISTRATION, PROTECTION AND BROADENING OF RIGHTS IN THEIR TRADEMARKS.
Cathy’s practice is multidimensional with a strong focus on trademarks, including:
- Domestic and international trademark clearance and availability opinions.
- Trademark prosecution and maintenance, both domestic and international.
- Policing and enforcing trademark rights, including domestic and international trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings.
- Strategic advise for protecting and enforcing clients’ trademark rights on an international basis.
- Trademark licensing.
- Utilizing a broad range of experience in counseling clients in a wide variety of industries, including banking, medical products, retail, hotels, health care services, and consumer products.
- Applying her significant experience in due diligence investigation in mergers & acquisitions to ensure that Dorsey’s clients’ rights and interests are protected.
Cathy’s clients appreciate her business acumen and her practicality. Cathy particularly enjoys helping clients by giving advice that moves them forward efficiently and effectively to their business objectives.
Cathy is a contributor to Dorsey’s critically-acclaimed IP Blog, TheTMCA.com, which focuses on legal developments in the world of TradeMarks, Copyrights, and Advertising. TheTMCA.com was named one of the “Top 50” law blogs by the ABA Journal in 2017.
Cathy works on a number of different matters in a given day, and particularly enjoys:
- Overcoming difficult Office Actions issued by the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Guiding clients on selecting and registering trademarks.
- Working on transactional matters, researching the intellectual property in the transaction and perfecting the transfer of ownership.
- Working with clients to develop a brand strategy and particularly expanding trademark rights outside of the United States.
News & Resources
February 21, 2023
Coca-Cola – “Thums Down” on Evidence of Damages in Misrepresentation of Source in Cancellation Proceeding with Unresolved Territoriality Tension
July 22, 2022
February 01, 2022
Coca-Cola Successfully Petitions to Cancel Trademark Registrations Based on Misrepresentation of Source
July 27, 2021
Highlights Part III of the Trademark Modernization Act of 2020: Letters of Protest and Shortened Office Action Response Times
February 08, 2021
Supreme Court Upholds Registrability of BOOKING.COM Trademark and Rejects Per Se Rule for Generic.Com Trademarks
June 30, 2020
Defending Lack of Reasonable Opportunity of Access in Copyright Infringement Claims – Inference is Insufficient
August 15, 2019
DuPont Factors of Likely Confusion – Long Term Co-Existence Without Confusion Deserves Consideration by TTAB
March 14, 2019
August 13, 2018
Will TTAB’s First Precedential Decision of 2018 Lead to Better Quality Examination of Statements of Use?
February 07, 2018
November 03, 2017
September 15, 2017
October 24, 2016
March 24, 2016
News & Press Mentions
- “Searching to Avoid Disaster,” – Trademark World Magazine, April 2010
Industries & Practices
Banking & Financial InstitutionsExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Food, Beverage & AgribusinessExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Healthcare & Life SciencesExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Creative Industries
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Intellectual Property
- Trademark & Copyright