Marcus is a Chambers USA-rated attorney assisting clients across the country with real estate and construction transactions. In both in-house and outside counsel capacities, Marcus has deep and extensive experience with all aspects of real estate development, acquisitions/dispositions, investment funds, leasing, financing, governmental assistance and entitlements, and construction contracts. Marcus regularly serves clients as outside general counsel, advises companies on regulatory compliance, and represents clients before public authorities and city councils regarding approvals and land use issues. Marcus is also an adjunct law professor at Mitchell Hamline School of Law and a Fellow in the Construction Lawyers Society of America (CLSA).
Marcus served as General Counsel for Opus North Corporation, where he advised corporate boards and executive management on a wide range of issues relating to business and corporate law, joint ventures, real estate, construction, and finance. Previously, he served as Senior Counsel for Target Corporation, focusing on new store development and existing site issues.
Education & Admissions
University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., 1995), cum laude
St. Olaf College (B.A., 1991), cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- Real Property Law Specialist, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Serving as general counsel and subsequently outside general counsel for Opus North Corporation, providing representation regarding every aspect of its business including development, construction and property management.
- Developing a $100 million downtown Minneapolis hotel and condominium complex involving a historic renovation, a five-parcel land assemblage, and negotiation of more than $10 million in tax increment financing and other governmental subsidies.
- Representing the Walker Art Center and Minneapolis Institute of Arts with their respective expansion efforts.
- Responsible for negotiation of design/build and construction contracts on throughout the country in excess of $1.5 billion dollars.
- Representing private equity funds with all aspects of finance, acquisition, disposition and management of real estate asset portfolios.
- Acquisition, development, construction, and disposition of $50 million, 182-unit multi-family residential project in Minneapolis, MN.
- Acquisition, development, construction, and disposition of $57 million mixed-use project located in Glenview, IL.
- Acquisition, development, construction, and disposition of $45 million, 115-unit multi-family residential project in Park Ridge, IL.
- Acquisition, development, and construction of 174-unit multi-family residential project in Minneapolis, MN.
- Acquisition, development, and construction of 164 unit infill, multi-family residential project in Minneapolis, MN.
- Assisting numerous residential developers in strategic planning and negotiating all necessary agreements in the development of more than 3,000 housing units in the Twin Cities metropolitan area.
- Representing a Fortune 500 company for the sale and disposition of more than 20 office and industrial sites throughout North America.
- Assisting a storage facility owner with a $43 million multi-state refinancing of 28 facilities.
- Serving as lead counsel for a prominent Twin Cities charity in a three-year, multi-city effort to locate an appropriate site, assemble the necessary real estate parcels, and develop a $30 million children’s home and charter school.
- Acting as outside general counsel for numerous clients involved with the real estate, energy, and construction industries.
- Responsible for all aspects of design-build development, leasing, construction, and disposition of 300,000 square foot regional warehouse and distribution facility for Fortune 50 tenant.
- Acquisition and development of mixed-use shopping center in Minot, ND.
- Development and construction of city center mixed-use project consisting of 196 condominium units, 203,000 square feet of retail, and 37,000 square feet of office space in Burr Ridge, IL.
- Overseeing the development of 273,000 square feet of first-class retail development in Waukesha, WI.
- Multi-state financing of health facilities exceeding $100 million.
- Redevelopment and disposition of 100,000 square foot office facility located in the Minneapolis, MN Central Business District.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Construction & Design
- Construction Litigation
- Development & Infrastructure
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Project Development & Finance
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Real Estate & Land Use
Professional & Civic
- American Bar Association, Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
- Construction Lawyers Society of America, Fellow
- International Council of Shopping Centers, Member
- NAIOP (formerly the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties), Member
- Urban Land Institute, Member
- Mitchell Hamline School of Law, Adjunct Professor
- Edina Football Association, Football Coach