Andrea is a Partner in Dorsey’s Trial Group and represents businesses and individuals in a wide-range of complex commercial litigation matters, focusing on business torts, partnership disputes and divorces, trade secret misappropriation, fiduciary duties, derivative claims, and other general contract claims. She has successfully chaired jury and bench trials and has extensive experience in appellate matters. As a true trial attorney who thrives in the courtroom, Andrea averages two trials per year, with her most recent trial being the first to require a month-long quarantine for an in-person trial during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Andrea also provides strategic counseling in pre-litigation disputes, focusing on each client’s business goals and risk appetite in negotiations. She also advises on contract provisions and related risks in corporate transactions and is involved in various bankruptcy, regulatory, employment, and construction matters.
Andrea is a participant in the U.S. District of Colorado Civil Pro Bono Program. In 2018, Andrea was selected for the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Pathfinders Program for diverse, high-potential, early-career attorneys. She continues to be actively involved in LCLD’s alumni groups and as a 2021 1L Mentor and 2021 Pathfinders Program Facilitator. In 2020, Andrea was selected for the Colorado General Counsel Mentor Program. Andrea is dedicated to paying forward the mentorship she has received throughout her career to other diverse attorneys. Outside of work, Andrea enjoys the Colorado playground with her husband, Mike, and their two kids.
Education & Admissions
University of Denver, Sturm College of Law (J.D., 2011),
- Comments Editor, Denver University Law Review
- Am. Jur. Award in Legal Writing I & II
- Robert B. Yegge Memorial Scholarship
- Reese Persuasive Writing Award
The George Washington University (B.A., Psychology, 2003),
- with honors, magna cum laude, Deans List
- NCAA Division I Women’s Lacrosse, Atlantic 10 Conference
- NCAA Atlantic 10 Commissioner’s Honor Roll
- The National Society of Collegiate Scholars
- Golden Key International Honour Society
- Presidential Scholarship Award
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- Chaired month-long bench trial during the COVID-19 pandemic representing a large public authority in a Change-in-Law and Force Majeure lawsuit brought by the concessionaire in connection with a multi-billion dollar P3 rail project with approximately $140 million at issue (judgment pending).
- Counsel for oil & gas company in dispute over entitlement to refunds of “bonus bids” previously paid at Bureau of Land Management auctions for certain oil & gas leases that were never issued but the rights to which had been sold and assigned under the parties’ agreements. Obtained summary judgment and immediate award and payment of all funds in dispute.
- Chaired bench trial in action by companies against sole director and CEO for breach of fiduciary duties and fraudulent transfer of funds under the Colorado Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act (CUFTA), resulting in judgment for companies and award of full amount of funds fraudulently transferred by director.
- Chaired evidentiary trial in Chapter 11 proceeding on creditor’s motion to dismiss debtors serving the cannabis industry from bankruptcy leading to precedent setting decision In re Way to Grow, Inc., 597 B.R. 111 (Bankr. D. Colo. 2018). Successfully defended appeal of dismissal.
- Chaired jury trial in breach of contract action, resulting in jury verdict in favor of client and award of all damages sought. Successfully defended appeal of judgment.
- Chaired bench trial in forcible entry and detainer action. Received favorable judgment awarding possession of property to client.
- Counsel for Bank of the West in action by potential borrowers for damages related to denial of loan. Obtained dismissal of all claims and award of costs.
- Counsel for plaintiffs in action against Perfection Variety Pet Foods, LLC and Perfection Pet Foods, LLC. Case settled before trial.
- Counsel for Twin Star Energy, LLC, K&G Petroleum, LLC, K&G Stores, Inc. and managing member in business divorce dispute, defending against claims for $19 million in damages. At trial, achieved Rule 41 involuntary dismissal of a majority of plaintiff’s claims. Received favorable judgment following trial, which resulted in net judgment of $3.1 million in favor of clients.
- Counsel for Colorado-based technology consulting company, AIM Consulting Group Denver, LLC, in trade secret misappropriation action against former employee and his current employer. Defeated defendants’ motion for summary judgment. Case settled before trial.
- Counsel for Automotive Warranty Network, Inc. in state and federal court actions involving former employee’s theft of company’s client servicing software platform. Obtained temporary restraining order in state action. Case settled before trial.
- Lead counsel for pro bono case in the District of Colorado.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Wyeth v. Levine: Moving Away From the Geier Trend, 87 DENV. U. L. REV. 561 (2010).
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Commercial Litigation
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Labor & Employment
Professional & Civic
- Colorado General Counsel Mentor Program, 2020
- Arthritis Foundation, Volunteer (2018-Present)
- American Red Cross, Mile High Chapter, Donor Relations Committee Member (2015-2017)
- Behind the Red, The American Red Cross – Governing Council Member & Development Committee Member (2013-2017)