Andrea is a Partner in Dorsey’s Trial Group and represents businesses and individuals in a wide-range of complex commercial litigation matters, ranging from general contract claims, partnership disputes and terminations, misappropriation of trade secrets, shareholder derivative actions, securities litigation, and consumer class actions, among others. As a true trial attorney who thrives in the courtroom, Andrea knows how to develop a case with the ultimate trial in mind. Andrea has successfully chaired jury and bench trials in both federal and state courts. Most recently, Andrea represented the City of Fort Collins in a two-week federal jury trial where the jury returned a verdict in favor of the City on its claim that Defendants Open International, LLC and Open Investments, LLC fraudulently induced the City to enter into a multi-million-dollar contract, resulting in rescission of the contract. Earlier in the year, Andrea received a judgment defeating $112 million in claims brought by a concessionaire against Dorsey’s client, RTD, in Denver Transit Partners, LLC v. Regional Transportation District based on a prior month-long bench trial.
Andrea also provides strategic counseling in pre-litigation disputes, focusing on each client’s business goals and risk appetite in negotiations. Clients also rely on Andrea to advise on contract provisions and related risks in corporate transactions and she is often brought in to resolve disputes that may jeopardize a deal. With her creative and practical approach, clients also rely on Andrea to act in an outside general counsel role.
In 2018, Andrea was selected for the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Pathfinders Program for diverse, high-potential attorneys. She continues to be actively involved in LCLD’s alumni groups and volunteered as a 2021 & 2022 1L Mentor and 2021 Pathfinders Program Facilitator. In 2020, Andrea was selected for the Colorado General Counsel Mentor Program. Andrea is dedicated to paying forward the mentorship she has received throughout her career to other diverse attorneys. Outside of work, Andrea enjoys the Colorado playground with her husband, Mike, and their two kids.
Education & Admissions
University of Denver, Sturm College of Law (J.D., 2011),
- Comments Editor, Denver University Law Review
- Am. Jur. Award in Legal Writing I & II
- Robert B. Yegge Memorial Scholarship
- Reese Persuasive Writing Award
The George Washington University (B.A., Psychology, 2003), magna cum laude
- NCAA Division I Women’s Lacrosse, Atlantic 10 Conference
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth and Federal Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- City of Fort Collins v. Open International, LLC and Open Investments, LLC: Trial counsel for the City of Fort Collins (the “City”) in two-week federal jury trial against Open International, LLC and Open Investments, LLC (“Open”) for fraudulent inducement, negligent misrepresentation, and breach of contract claims. Jury returned verdict in favor of the City, finding that Open fraudulently induced the City into a multi-million dollar contract to implement its billing software, Open Smartflex (OSF). The verdict permitted the City to rescind the contract, nullifying the parties’ respective breach of contract claims.
- Ironburg Inventions Ltd. v. Valve Corporation: Appellate counsel for Ironburg Inventions Ltd., leading to the Federal Circuit’s affirmation of the District Court’s judgment that the asserted claims are not invalid as indefinite, that Valve willfully infringed, and that Valve is estopped from asserting the non-instituted IPR grounds. The appeal further established Federal Circuit precedent adopting the “skilled searcher test” for IPR estoppel.
- Denver Transit Partners, LLC v. Regional Transportation District (RTD): Trial counsel in month-long bench trial representing RTD in a Change-in-Law and Force Majeure lawsuit brought by the concessionaire, DTP, in connection with a multi-billion dollar P3 rail project. Judgment entered in favor of RTD, defeating $112 million in claims brought by DTP.
- Grasher v. Ameriprise Financial Services, LLC: Trial counsel for franchisor, Ameriprise, in action brought by a franchisee’s former employees seeking to hold Ameriprise liable as a “joint employer,” thus attacking Ameriprise’s entire franchise platform. Received full defense jury verdict on all legal claims following a week-long trial and subsequent judgment by the Court in favor of Ameriprise on remaining equitable claim with an affirmative finding that Ameriprise was not the “joint employer” of the franchisee's employees.
- Grizzly Energy LLC v. Highpoint Resources Corp: Lead counsel for oil & gas company in dispute over entitlement to refunds of “bonus bids” previously paid at Bureau of Land Management auctions for certain oil & gas leases that were never issued but the rights to which had been sold and assigned under the parties’ agreements. Obtained summary judgment and immediate award and payment of all funds in dispute.
- Inniss v. Pure Agrobusiness, Inc.: Trial counsel in action by companies against sole director and CEO for breach of fiduciary duties and fraudulent transfer of funds under the Colorado Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act (CUFTA), resulting in judgment for companies and award of full amount of funds fraudulently transferred by director.
- In re Way to Grow, Inc., 597 B.R. 111 (Bankr. D. Colo. 2018): Trial counsel in evidentiary Chapter 11 proceeding on creditors’ motion to dismiss debtors serving the cannabis industry from bankruptcy leading to precedent setting decision. Successfully defended appeal of dismissal.
- In re Gadeco, LLC v. Grynberg: Won petition on Writ of Certiorari to the Colorado Supreme Court concerning trial court order requiring production of medical records of a party in a commercial dispute.
- Trial counsel in breach of contract action, resulting in jury verdict in favor of client and award of all damages sought. Successfully defended appeal of judgment.
- Trial counsel in forcible entry and detainer action. Received favorable judgment awarding possession of property to client.
- Counsel for Bank of the West in action by potential borrowers for damages related to denial of loan. Obtained dismissal of all claims and award of costs.
- Counsel for plaintiffs in action against Perfection Variety Pet Foods, LLC and Perfection Pet Foods, LLC. Case settled before trial.
- Trial counsel for Twin Star Energy, LLC, K&G Petroleum, LLC, K&G Stores, Inc. and managing member in business divorce dispute, defending against claims for $19 million in damages. At trial, achieved Rule 41 involuntary dismissal of a majority of plaintiffs’ claims. Received favorable judgment following trial, which resulted in net judgment of $3.1 million in favor of clients.
- Counsel for Colorado-based technology consulting company, AIM Consulting Group Denver, LLC, in trade secret misappropriation action against former employee and his current employer. Defeated defendants’ motion for summary judgment. Case settled before trial.
- Counsel for Automotive Warranty Network, Inc. in state and federal court actions involving former employees’ theft of company’s client servicing software platform. Obtained temporary restraining order in state action. Case settled before trial.
- Lead counsel for pro bono case in the District of Colorado.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Wyeth v. Levine: Moving Away From the Geier Trend, 87 DENV. U. L. REV. 561 (2010).
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Commercial Litigation
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Labor & Employment
- Real Estate Litigation
Professional & Civic
- Colorado General Counsel Mentor Program (2020-2022)
- Arthritis Foundation, Past Volunteer
- American Red Cross, Mile High Chapter, Donor Relations Committee Member (2015-2017)
- Behind the Red, The American Red Cross – Governing Council Member & Development Committee Member (2013-2017)
- Contributed more than 50+ Diversity hours, 2020-2022
- Selected as “Rising Star” for recognition as Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney by Colorado Super Lawyers, 2021
- Selected for the Colorado General Counsel Mentor Program, 2020-2022
- Selected for the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Pathfinders Program, 2018