JON IS AN EXPERIENCED, BUSINESS-FOCUSED M&A LAWYER. HE PROVIDES PRACTICAL, ACTIONABLE STRATEGIC ADVICE TO BOARDS OF DIRECTORS AND EXECUTIVES INVOLVED IN M&A TRANSACTIONS.
Jon is a partner in the Mergers and Acquisitions practice group. Jon represents purchasers and sellers in mergers and acquisition transactions, including negotiated business combinations and contested acquisition transactions. Jon’s experience in this area includes advising boards of directors and special committees. Recent engagements include advising Land O’Lakes in its acquisition of Ceres and Vascular Solutions in its sale to Teleflex. Resident in Dorsey’s Toronto office from 2002 through 2004, Jon advises clients on U.S. law aspects of U.S.-Canada mergers and acquisitions transactions. Jon also advises public and private companies on general corporate matters. Jon is a member of the Mergers and Acquisitions Committee of the ABA’s Business Law Section and is a contributor to the committee’s thought leadership projects, including the widely consulted deal points studies. Jon’s interests outside of the office include cross-country skiing with his wife and two young sons, preparing smoked meats and curling.
Mergers and Acquisitions Transactions
- Carlisle Companies Incorporated
Acquisition of Hawk Corporation
- ADC Telecommunications, Inc.
Sale to Tyco Electronics, Ltd.
Acquisition of LGC Wireless Inc.
Acquisition of Fiber Optic Network Solutions Corp.
- Possis Medical, Inc.
Sale to MEDRAD, Inc. (an affiliate of Bayer AG)
- A.S.V., Inc.
Sale to Terex Corporation
- Yamana Gold, Inc.
Acquisition of Meridian Gold Inc. (successful unsolicited tender offer and acquisition)
- Syngenta Seeds, Inc.
Acquisition of Pybas Vegetable Seed Co., Inc.
Acquisition of Synergene Seed & Technology, Inc.
- Trane, Inc.
Acquisition of Cramer Building Services Corp.
Acquisition of Southwest Comfort Sales and Service, Inc.
Acquisition of R.L. Thorpe Sales, Ltd.
- NovaGold Resources Inc.
Successful defense against unsolicited take-over attempt by Barrick Gold Corporation
- Land O’Lakes, Inc.
Sale of Cheese and Protein business to Saputo Inc.
- DataCard Corporation
Acquisition of Dynamic Card Solutions, LLC
Acquisition of Ga-Vehren Engineering Co.
Acquisition of CPST, LLC
- Goldcorp Inc.
Acquisition of assets from Barrick Gold Corporation
Acquisition of Wheaton River Minerals Ltd.
Successful defense against unsolicited take-over attempt by Glamis Gold Ltd.
- Lawson Software, Inc.
Acquisition of Intentia AB and related holding company restructuring
- eFunds Corporation
Acquisition of ClearCommerce Corporation
- IAMGold Corporation
Proposed acquisition of Wheaton River Minerals Ltd.
Successful defense against unsolicited take-over attempt by Golden Star Resources Ltd.
- Survivalink Corporation
Sale to Cardiac Science, Inc.
- The Schwan Foods Corporation
Acquisition of Edwards Holding Company
Acquisition of T&N Foods, Inc.
- Caribou Coffee Company, Inc.
Sale to Arcapita Bank
- US Bancorp
Acquisition of Oliver-Allen Corporation
Acquisition of Scripps Financial Corporation
Acquisition of Advent Business Systems, Inc.
Acquisition of Assurafirst Financial Corporation
Acquisition of Nevada branch banking operation from BB&T
- Central Fund of Canada Limited. (Issuer’s Counsel)
Public offering of 11,584,660 Class A non-voting shares (US$48,539,725)
Public offering of 15,050,000 Class A non-voting shares (US$74,949,000)
Public offering of 19,500,000 Class A non-voting shares (US$114,075,000)
- Dundee Wealth Management Inc. (Underwriter’s Counsel)
Offering of 24,516,129 Subscription Receipts (C$190,000,000)
- Envoy Communications Group Inc. (Underwriter’s Counsel)
Offering of 26,315,800 Units (C$35,004,014)
- Fortune Minerals Limited (Underwriter’s Counsel)
Offering of 4,706,000 Common Shares (C$20,000,500)
- GMP Capital Corp. (Issuer’s Counsel)
Offering of 9,100,000 Common Shares in connection with Canadian initial public offering (C$100,100,000)
- Golden Star Resources Ltd. (Underwriter’s Counsel)
Public offering of 16,100,000 Units (US$30,600,000)
Public offering of 17,000,000 Units (US$51,000,000)
Public offering of 9,430,000 Common Shares (C$36,770,000)
Public offering of 6,600,000 Common Shares (US$49,500,000)
- IAMGold Corporation (Issuer’s Counsel)
Offering of 9,000,000 Common Shares (C$63,000,000)
- Noranda Operating Trust (Underwriter’s Counsel)
Offering of Senior Secured Notes (C$153,500,000)
News & Resources
July 30, 2015
Seminar Playback: The Basics of Representation and Warranty Insurance - Tools for Closing the M&A Transaction
May 13, 2015
April 30, 2014
"SEC Adopts Rules Regarding Proxy Voting By Investment Advisors," Dorsey & Whitney Newsletter
June 4, 2003
News & Press Mentions
November 5, 2018
May 31, 2016
October 14, 2013
November 6, 2012
Events & Speaking Engagements
- “2016 Business Law Institute – What Every Deal Lawyer Should Know About Representation and Warranty Insurance in M&A,” May 2016
- “2015 Corporate Counsel Symposium – The Ties That Bind: M&A Challenges for Buyers of Family-Held of Founder-Owned Businesses,” October 2015
- “Turnaround Management Association/Minnesota – Transactional Risk Products: Orchestrating a Good Outcome in the Face of Adversity,” October 2015
- “The Basics of Representation and Warranty Insurance - Tools for Closing the M&A Transaction,” May 2015
- “2014 Business Law Institute – Delaware and Doing Deals,” May 2014
- “2012 Corporate Counsel Symposium – M&A Under the Microscope: Getting the Deal Done in Uncertain Times,” October 2012
- “2008 In-House Counsel Crash Course,” March 2008
- "Tender Offers Are Back," February 2008
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Capital Markets
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Emerging Companies
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Professional & Civic
- Minnesota Bar Association, Business Law Section - Member of Chapter 302A Subcommittee
- Board of Directors, The Loppet Foundation, 2015 – present