AS A TRUSTED ADVISOR WITH MORE THAN 30 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE, NOLAN HELPS COMPANIES ACHIEVE THEIR BUSINESS OBJECTIVES BY LEADING THEM THROUGH SUCCESSFUL MERGERS & ACQUISITIONS, EQUITY AND DEBT CAPITAL RAISING TRANSACTIONS, AND CORPORATE GOVERNANCE MATTERS.
Nolan is a Capital Markets and M&A Partner. Nolan has extensive experience representing:
- Companies in domestic and cross border M&A transactions including stock and asset deals, mergers, carve-outs, spin offs, spin outs, auction bids, auction sales, leveraged buyouts, de-SPAC mergers, reorganizations, recapitalizations, distressed sales, Section 363 sales, leveraged dividends, and joint ventures;
- Private equity funds, venture capital funds, and family offices in formation, buyout, control investment, minority investment, and financing transactions;
- Underwriters and issuers in initial public offerings and registered follow-on and secondary offerings, and exempt and hybrid securities offerings including PIPEs, at-the-market offerings, confidentially marketed public offerings, bought deals, committed equity lines, and registered direct offerings as well as representing underwriters or initial purchasers in investment grade and high yield debt offerings and 144A offerings; and
- Public companies in securities law compliance, NYSE, NASDAQ and FINRA compliance, and corporate governance matters.
Nolan’s clients include private and public companies, boards of directors, special committees, private equity and venture capital funds, family offices, investment banks and financial institutions.
According to Chambers and Partners, a prestigious legal industry ranking service, Nolan received the highest ranking for a corporate lawyer (Band 1) annually from 2003-2010, leave of absence for volunteer service 2010-2013, 2014-2021. Regarding Nolan’s capabilities, Chambers quotes sources as saying:
- “Nolan is the best M&A attorney I have ever worked with - his judgment, experience and client management place him in a class of his own.”
- “He is a premier attorney for securities, transactions and business matters, with solid business understanding. He is a problem solver who has excellent interpersonal skills.”
- “He is the best attorney I’ve worked with because of his good business judgment, his ability to think through novel structures for solutions to problems and the fact that he is always calm in stressful situations.”
- Clients hail his “good practical advice.”
- “He has great experience, knowledge, and judgment.”
- “He is the cream of the crop.”
Selected Merger and Acquisition Transactions:
- Represented Red Crow Capital, LLC in connection with the de-SPAC merger of Social Finance, Inc. and Social Capital Hedosophia valued at $8.6 billion
- Represented Galileo Financial Technologies in connection with its merger with Social Finance Inc. valued at $1.2 billion
- Represented Aytu Biopharma, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Neos Therapeutics, Inc.
- Represented Gerawan Farming, Inc. in its merger with Wawona Delaware Holdings, LLC, a portfolio company of Pain Schwartz Food Chain Fund IV AIV, L.P.
- Represented Warmerdam Packing LP in its acquisition by Fiera Comox
- Represented Aytu BioScience in connection with its merger with Innovus Pharmaceuticals
- Represented Purple Innovation, LLC (now Purple Innovation, Inc.) in its de-SPAC merger with Global Partners Acquisition Corp., a SPAC, and related PIPE offering of Class A Common Stock and listing on the NASDAQ capital market
- Represented Lyons Magnus, Inc. in its acquisition by Sierra Acquisition, Inc., an affiliate of Paine Schwartz Food Chain Fund IV, L.P.
- Represented Genysis Brand Solutions Inc. in its acquisition by Nellson Nutraceutical, LLC
- Represented JBR Clinical Research in its acquisition by Webster Capital IV, L.P.
- Represented Wawona Packing Co., LLC in its acquisition by to Paine Schwartz Food Chain Fund IV AIV, L.P.
- Represented China Pacific Property Insurance Co., Ltd. in its investment in MetroMile, Inc. (Deal of the Year - China Business Law Journal 2016)
- Represented Spillman Technologies, Inc. in its acquisition by Motorola Solutions, Inc.
- Represented Zions Bancorporation in the merger of its seven subsidiary affiliated banks
- Represented Track Utilities, LLC and Track Holdings, LLC in the acquisition of Track Utilities, LLC by CIVC Capital Partners, L.P.
- Represented Alpine Air Holdings, LLC and KEB Enterprises, L.P. in the leveraged buyout of Alpine Air Express, Inc.
- Represented Five Star Franchising, Inc. in four simultaneous transactions including two spin-off transactions and the acquisition of Five Star Canada, Inc. followed by the merger of Five Star Painting, Inc. with The Dwyer Group, Inc.
- Represented CROV Global Holding Limited in its acquisition of Tri Holdings, LLC
- Represented Parlant Technology, Inc. in its acquisition by Blackboard, Inc.
- Represented the major shareholder of High West Distillery, LLC in its acquisition by Constellation Brands, Inc.
- Represented Campbell Scientific, Inc. in its merger with Coastal Environmental, Inc.
- Represented Perseon Corporation in its attempted tender offer/merger with Galil Medical and in its subsequent section 363 sale
- Represented a SAAS software company in its confidential merger with another SAAS software company
- Represented a large consumer products company in its confidential acquisition by a consortium of private equity buyers
- Represented a consumer products company in its confidential leveraged dividend recapitalization
- Represented People’s Utah Bancorp in its merger with Lewiston State Bank
- Represented a confidential offshore bidder in two cross border auction sale processes
- Represented an affiliate of Klein-Becker in the carve-out sale of the StriVectinTM skin care brand assets to L Catterton Partners
- Represented Galileo Processing, Inc. in its merger with One Global Finance, Inc.
- Represented Euromicron AG in its acquisition of stock in Remote MDx, Inc. and related strategic transactions
- Represented Franklin Covey Co. in the carve-out sale of its CSBU division to a platform company of Peterson Partners L.P.
- Represented Specialized Health Products International, Inc. in its cash merger with C.R. Bard, Inc.
- Represented Enviromax, Inc. in its acquisition by IHS, Inc.
- Represented Mity Enterprises, Inc. in its "go private" leveraged buyout by Sorenson Capital Partners L.P. and Peterson Partners L.P.
- Represented Cornerstone Nutritional Labs, LLC in its acquisition by Mitsui USA
- Represented Cerberian, Inc. in its acquisition by BlueCoat Systems, Inc.
- Represented TFE Technology, LLC in its sale to Diebold, Inc.
- Represented Arch Coal, Inc. in its acquisition of Triton Coal Company, LLC
- Represented the acquirer in the acquisition of Unicity International from Royal Numico, N.V.
- Represented Enzon Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in its attempted "merger of equals" with NPS Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Represented Cornerstone Nutritional Labs, LLC in the sale of its powder division for cash
- Represented SourceOne Services, Inc. in its acquisition by First American Corporation for cash and stock
- Represented Trebor International, Inc. in its sale to IDEX Corp. in a cash-for-stock transaction
- Represented Assist Cornerstone Technologies, Inc. in its sale to Cayenta.com, Inc. in a cash and stock-for-stock transaction
- Represented Mity-Lite, Inc. in its acquisition of Do Group, Inc. in a cash-for-stock transaction
- Represented Mity-Lite, Inc. in its acquisition of Broda Enterprises, Inc. for cash
- Represented Monroc, Inc. in its sale to U.S. Aggregates, Inc. in a cash-for-stock transaction
- Represented Nu Skin Enterprises, Inc. in its acquisition of Nu Skin U.S.A., Inc.
- Represented Nu Skin Enterprises, Inc. in its acquisition of Big Planet, Inc.
- Represented Dentrix Dental Systems, Inc. in its stock-for-stock acquisition by Henry Schein, Inc.
- Represented Companion Systems, Inc. in its sale to an affiliate of BancBoston Capital
- Represented Health Rider, Inc. in its sale to Icon Health & Fitness, Inc.
- Represented Enrich International, Inc. in connection with its leveraged recapitalization
- Represented NAPTech, Inc. in its acquisition by The Shaw Group, Inc. in a stock-for-stock transaction
- Represented Inkley's Incorporated in its acquisition by Ritz Camera Centers in a cash-for-stock transaction
Other M&A transaction summaries can be provided upon request.
Selected IPOs, Follow-Ons and Secondary Offerings:
- Issuer’s counsel for Purple Innovation, Inc. in connection with a $220 million registered secondary offering of Class A Common Stock
- Underwriter’s counsel for a registered follow-on offering for Better Choice Products, Inc.
- Underwriter’s counsel for a registered follow-on offering for Destination XL Group, Inc.
- Issuer’s counsel for Purple Innovation, Inc. in connection with $500 million of registered secondary offerings and a block trade of Class A Common Stock
- Issuer’s counsel for Lipocine Inc. in its 2021 confidentially marked public offering of common stock and its 2020 Registered Direct Offering of common stock and in connection with its at-the-market (ATM) offering
- Issuer’s counsel for Avinger, Inc. in multiple public offerings of common stock
- Issuer’s counsel for Lipocine Inc. in its 2019 confidentially marketed public offering of common stock and warrants
- Issuer’s counsel for Aytu Bioscience, Inc. in its public offering of common stock, preferred stock, and warrants
- Issuer’s counsel for Purple Innovation, Inc. in its PIPE offering of Class A Common Stock
- Issuer’s counsel for the initial public offering of People’s Utah Bancorp
- Issuer’s counsel for Lipocine Inc. in its shelf takedown and 2015 confidentially marketed public offering (CMPO)
- Issuer’s counsel for BSD Medical Corporation in its Registered Direct Offering to institutional investors
- Issuer’s counsel for BSD Medical Corporation in its at-the-market (ATM) offering
- Issuer’s counsel for Lipocine Inc. in its S-1 resale registration in connection with a PIPE offering to institutional investors
- Issuer’s counsel Nu Skin Enterprises, Inc. in a registered secondary offering of Class A Common Stock
- Issuer’s counsel for BSD Medical Corporation in two follow-on registered offerings
- Issuer’s counsel for the initial public offering of The Ensign Group, Inc.
- Underwriter's counsel for the marketed spot secondary offering of Ladish Co., Inc.
- Underwriter's counsel for the initial public offering of Volcom, Inc.
- Counsel for Franklin Covey Co. in two separate issuer tender offers
- Represented the Special Committee of Franklin Covey & Co. in the recapitalization of FranklinCovey Co. and related secondary offering
- Issuer's counsel for The SCO Group, Inc. in two PIPE transactions, two related registered secondary offerings and a related recapitalization
- Issuer's counsel for BSD Medical in a PIPE transaction and secondary offering
- Issuer's counsel for the initial public offering of Nu Skin Asia Pacific, Inc., registered simultaneously in the U.S. and Japan
- Underwriter's counsel for the initial public offering of Direct Focus, Inc.
- Underwriter's counsel for the initial public offering of American AirCarrier's Support, Inc.
- Underwriter's counsel for the initial public offering of Granite Financial, Inc.
- Underwriter's counsel for the follow-on offering for Granite Financial, Inc.
- Underwriter's counsel for the initial public offering of Sport Haley, Inc.
- Issuer's counsel for the initial public offering of Mity-Lite, Inc.
- Issuer's counsel for the initial public offering of Rocky Mountain Helicopters, Inc.
Other securities offering transaction summaries can be provided upon request.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
“Over the Pond and Across the Pacific: Surveying the Wide World of Cross-Border M&A,” Moderator, Dorsey Corporate Counsel Symposium, October 30, 2018
“Preparing for the 2017 Proxy Season – Shareholder Activism Update,” February 23, 2017
"The Qualities of Successful Corporate Directors," Outstanding Directors Awards, June 2016
“Preparing for the 2016 Proxy Season – Shareholder Activism Update,” March 8, 2016
"Legal and Ethical Duties of In-House Counsel after In Re Dole Food Co.," ACC In-House in Review, 2015
"Role of the M&A Lawyer in the "M&A Mating Dance,"" March 30, 2010
"Capital Raising Alternatives -- Overview and Selected Legal Issues," Seminar, 2009
“Executive Compensation Disclosure Rules,” Utah State Bar, Securities Section, 2006
“Securities Offering Reforms,” Seminar, 2006
"Legal Issues in the Venture Process," University Private Equity Summit, Panel Member, 2005
"Venture Capital Transaction Training Series," Seminars 2004-2005
- "Preparing for the IPO, Sarbanes-Oxley Corporate Governance and Other Reforms," Seminar 2004
- "Legal Issues in Venture Capital," University Private Equity Summit, Panel Member, 2004
"Being a Director: New Standards, New Challenges" American Society of Corporate Secretaries (General Counsel Professional Association) 57th National Conference, June 2003
“Legal Aspects of Raising Capital in the Current Market,” Seminar, 2002 (Wayne Brown Institute)
“Option Exchange Tender Offers under SEC Rule 13e-4,” Seminar, 2001
“Capital Markets Chaos: How to Create Value in Emerging and Undervalued Companies,” Seminar, 2001
“Regulation FD,” Seminar, 2000
“Overview of Regulation FD,” Seminar, 2000 (Financial Executives Institute)
“Road Map to an IPO,” Seminar, 1998
“Plain English Forum Review of new Securities & Exchange Commission Rules,” Seminar, 1998
ALI-ABA “Mergers & Acquisitions - Acquisitions and Divestures of Subsidiaries and Divisions,” Seminar, 1991
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Capital Markets
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Financial Services Regulatory
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
Professional & Civic
- Utah State Bar Association
- Member of the National Association of Corporate Directors
- Member of the American Society of Governance Professionals, Public Company Affairs Committee 2005-2006
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law, Securities Regulation (Fall 2003 and Winter 2007)
- Named one of “The Best Lawyers in America” in Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Securities/Capital Markets Law, and Venture Capital Law by Best Lawyers©, 2021
- International Financial Law Review 1000 Highly Regarded in Capital Markets and M&A – State, 2019-2022
- International Financial Law Review 1000 Ranked in Capital Markets and Investment Funds, 2021
- Named “Salt Lake City Lawyer of the Year” in Mergers and Acquisitions Law by Best Lawyers©, 2020 and 2011
- Named “Salt Lake City Lawyer of the Year” in Corporate Law by Best Lawyers©, 2019
- Named “Salt Lake City Lawyer of the Year” in Securities and Capital Markets Law by Best Lawyers©, 2018 and 2016
- 2016 Deal of the Year, China Business Law Journal (China pacific Property Insurance invests in MetroMile, Inc.)
- Named one of “America’s Leading Business Lawyers” by Chambers USA (Corporate/M&A), 2003-2010, leave of absence for volunteer service 2010-2013, 2014-2021
- Named to BTI Client Service All-Star Team 2010 (among only 164 lawyers recognized nationally for outstanding client service)
- Rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Recognized in Legal 500 (M&A Section), 2009
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America®, 2006-2022
- Listed in Utah Business Magazine Legal Elite, Corporate Law and Transactions; Mergers and Acquisitions; Securities, 2005-2010, 2014 and 2016-2021
- Listed in IPO Rainmaker, The Directory of IPO Counsel, 1996