Hui is a frequent speaker at industry events and lectures extensively in China on topics related to IP matters facing Chinese companies doing business overseas.Hui has a strong technical background in electrical systems, computer software, semiconductor device and clean energy technology. He has previously conducted cutting-edge research work at the University of Virginia, where he gained extensive research experience in microwave circuit design and microelectromechanic system (MEMS) device modeling, as well as semiconductor microfabrication process. His Ph.D. work involved the novel applications of radio frequency microelectromechanical system (RF MEMS) phase shifters, and innovative microfabrication techniques.
Education & Admissions
American University, Washington College of Law (J.D.)
University of Virginia (Ph.D., Electrical Engineering)
Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China (M.S., Mechanical Engineering)
Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China (B.S., Mechanical Engineering)
- District of Columbia
- Mandarin Chinese, English
Patent Litigation: As counsel, Dr. Shen’s practice focused on patent litigation in federal courts, the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) and Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). Dr. Shen has experience in all stages of litigation, ranging from taking and defending depositions, motion practice, preparing fact witnesses and expert witnesses for trial, trial, managing discovery and pre-suit investigations.
Patent Licensing/Negotiation: Lead patent licensing negotiations for different companies.
Patent Prosecution: Draft applications and office action responses, manage the patent portfolio for some lead tech companies.
- Defended a leading Chinese heavy industry company in an ITC case filed by its main US competitor and won the case
- Helped a leading Chinese telecommunications company in a month long trade secret misappropriation trial that resulted in a jury verdict 1/100thwhat plaintiff was seeking
- Helped a leading Chinese drone company to file the first ITC case with a Chinese complainant and successfully secured a favorable settlement
- Helped one of the world's leading telecommunications companies in a trade secret misappropriation trial that was originally planned for three weeks, but settled on terms favorable to the defendant before the close of the plaintiff's case-in-chief
- Defended one of the world’s leading consumer electronic companies in an ITC-337 litigation and won the case
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- How to Defeat Goliath in a Patent Infringement Battle, China Law & Practice, October 15, 2020.
Industries & Practices
Intellectual Property LitigationExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & ManagementExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Trademark, Copyright & AdvertisingExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
- Electronic Discovery
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & Management
- Trademark, Copyright & Advertising