Paul is a Partner in Dorsey’s Intellectual Property Litigation Practice Group. He has over 40 years of experience in intellectual property litigation and prosecution and routinely oversees large-scale cases for our clients. Paul is consistently ranked among the top IP litigators in Seattle and has a national reputation as an IP litigator. He has been first chair litigator in well over one hundred patent infringement litigations. Paul is also an Adjunct Professor at the University of Washington School of Law where he teaches a course on patent litigation.
Education & Admissions
American University Washington College of Law (J.D., 1975)
Georgetown University (M.S., Inorganic Chemistry, 1983)
Allentown College (B.S., Chemistry, 1969)
- New York
- District of Columbia
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, Federal Circuit, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, and Ninth Circuits
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, Western District of Washington, Eastern District of Washington, Eastern District of Texas, District of New Jersey, Eastern District of New York, Southern District of New York, Middle District of Pennsylvania, and Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Represented both plaintiffs and respondents in several ITC investigations relating to patent infringement, trademark infringement, and trade dress infringement.
- Most recently defended multinational Japanese company in an ITC investigation relating to Internet technology requested by non-practicing entity Straight Path IP Group. Shortly after the Administrative Law Judge granted our motion to strike, and less than two weeks before trial, Straight Path dropped its case in its entirety.
Federal Circuit and other Appeals
- Represented appellants in numerous Federal Circuit appeals (and appeals to other Federal Appellate Courts) including representing CCS Fitness, Inc. in successful appeal of adverse decision on exercise equipment.
- Represented successful appellant in appeal from decision granting motion for preliminary injunction in patent case on nutritional supplements in Nutrition 21 v. Thorne Research, Inc.
- Represented appellees in numerous Federal Circuit appeals (and appeals to other Federal Appellate Courts), including representing successful appellee in litigation concerning electronic dart games in Arachnid, Inc. v. Medalist Marketing Corp.
Patent Infringement Litigations Against the United States Government
- Represented patentees in several litigations against various agencies of the United States Government in the Court of Federal Claims, including Gargoyles, Inc. v. United States (multimillion dollar award against United States Army).
District Court Litigation
- Defending multinational Japanese company in a patent infringement suit brought by a non-practicing entity in the Eastern District of Texas relating to semiconductor design.
- Defended Hex Entertainment and Cryptozoic Entertainment in patent, trademark, and copyright litigation in the Western District of Washington against Wizards of the Coast regarding Magic: The Gathering and the Hex game.
- Defended multinational Japanese company in patent infringement action in the Northern District of Illinois relating to video digital circuitry and processing techniques.
- Defended WizKids, Inc. in patent infringement litigation against Wizards of the Coast in the Western District of Washington.
- Defending multinational Japanese company in a patent infringement suit in the Eastern District of Virginia relating to Internet technology. Filed inter partes reviews challenging the patents-in-suit and successfully sought a stay of the case pending the IPRs.
- Obtained summary judgment of no invalidity and consent to infringement in ski binding case in G3 Genuine Guide Gear v. Marker in the Western District of Washington.
- Defended multinational Japanese company in a patent infringement suit in which eleven patents were asserted over LCD panel technology brought in the District of Delaware (five patents eliminated by inter partes review procedure).
- Defending three manufacturers of solar LED traffic and pedestrian lights in three patent infringement cases in the Middle District of Florida, the Northern District of Texas, and the Eastern District of Texas.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Speaker on Patent Infringement Litigation for last decade at annual Transnational Patent Seminar in Europe including week long seminars in Alicante, Rome, Dresden, United Kingdom, and Strasbourg.
- Speaker on Patent Infringement Litigation topics at Waseda University, Osaka Institute of Technology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, and numerous law firms and corporations in Japan and Germany.
Industries & Practices
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & Management
- Named one of “America’s Leading Business Lawyers” (Band 1) by Chambers USA (Intellectual Property), 2006-2019
- Listed as a Washington Super Lawyer, 2006-2019
- Recognized as an “IP Star” in 2016-2019 by Managing Intellectual Property Handbook
- Recognized in IAM Patent 1000 - World's Leading Patent Practitioners, 2012-2016 and 2019