Nat has worked with Nobel laureates and business leaders at Fortune 500 companies. Nat leverages these experiences to help clients build and maintain outstanding, global IP portfolios in the medical, mobile communications and energy industries, including networking, smart phone fingerprint recognition and sensor systems, radiation imaging, pharma, cloud-based transactional and communications services, jet engines, rocket motors, solar power and nuclear energy.
Nat has broad patent, transactional, IP licensing and litigation experience, providing full-service representation to innovative startups and established technology leaders. Nat also advises clients on international markets and standardization, including power distribution systems, 5G networking, and other power and communications technologies.
Education & Admissions
University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., 2006), cum laude; Dean’s List; Royal A. Stone Scholar
California Institute of Technology (Postdoctoral Fellow, 1995), “Physicist-in-Charge,” MACRO Experiment
University of Minnesota (Ph.D., Physics, 1993), Research Fellow, U.S. Department of Energy
Carleton College (B.A., 1986), cum laude; Dean’s List; National Merit Scholar
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Written Latin; newspaper-level French and Italian; FORTRAN, C/C++; Unix, Java, and Python Scripts
Dr. Longley (“Nat”) has extensive experience with global IP management in the medical and energy sectors, including patent drafting and prosecution work in medical devices, radiation imaging, patient transport, power systems engineering, turbine engine systems, nuclear and solar power, energy exploration, and nuclear physics, including advanced nuclear fuel cycles. Nat was also a postdoctoral fellow at the California Institute of Technology, where he was “physicist in charge” of the MACRO facility operated in partnership with the Italian National Institute of Nuclear Physics. He has published and lectured extensively in the field, including collaborative work at Fermilab, CERN and Oxford, and the Institute of High Energy Physics of the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing.
- Represent clients before the United States Patent office, Patent Trial and Appeal Board, and Unites States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Patent prosecution and IP enforcement for medical device startup, with successful licensing arrangement for products covered under newly-issued US patents.
- Defended against ex parte review of issued patent for medical device client, resulting in confirmation of all originally allowed claims (medical imaging technology).
- Patent prosecution and portfolio management for rapidly growing, high-end beauty products client, increased in less than one year from a single US patent to more than two dozen issued patents, design registrations, and new applications.
- IP analysis for private equity client, resulting in seven-figure investments in successful high-tech startups (defense-related and renewable energy industries).
- Provided legal review of draft guidelines for electrical engineering client, with goal to reduce potential liability related to industry standards.
- Patent prosecution and portfolio management for established electrical engineering client, generating more than fifty patent grants over most recent two-year period (cloud-based and secure data storage technologies).
- Successful defense against well-known “trolls” asserting patents against food services and insurance industry clients, without litigation, financial settlement, or required licensing agreement.
- Provided key litigation support and research services in successful defense of aerospace client, with nearly $4bn patent infringement claim dismissed on summary judgment.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
Banking & Financial InstitutionsExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Energy & Natural ResourcesExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Healthcare & Life SciencesExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Intellectual Property LitigationExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Nonprofit & Tax Exempt OrganizationsExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & ManagementExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Electric Power
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Nonprofit & Tax Exempt Organizations
- Oil & Gas
- Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & Management