Nat leverages these skills to build outstanding, global IP portfolios in the computer, medical, and energy industries, including cloud-based transactional services, radiation imaging, oil and gas technology, jet engines, rocket motors, and solar and nuclear energy.
Nat also has broad transactional and litigation-related experience, working together with the Dorsey IP team to provide full-service representation to both first-year startups and established fortune 500 companies. Nat shares a strong commitment to needs-based pro bono legal services, is a member of the fourth district ethics committee, and was named one of Minnesota’s “Rising Stars” in the 2013 through 2015 editions of Super Lawyers.
Education & Admissions
University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., 2006), cum laude; Dean’s List; Royal A. Stone Scholar
California Institute of Technology (Postdoctoral Fellow, 1995), “Physicist-in-Charge,” MACRO Experiment
University of Minnesota (Ph.D., Physics, 1993), Research Fellow, U.S. Department of Energy
Carleton College (B.A., 1986), cum laude; Dean’s List; National Merit Scholar
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Written Latin; newspaper-level French and Italian; FORTRAN, C/C++; Unix, Java, and Python Scripts
Dr. Longley (“Nat”) has extensive experience in the energy sector, including patent drafting and prosecution work in power systems engineering, turbine engine systems, nuclear and solar power, energy exploration, and nuclear physics, including advanced nuclear fuel cycles. Nat was also a postdoctoral fellow at the California Institute of Technology, where he was “physicist in charge” of the MACRO facility operated in partnership with the Italian National Institute of Nuclear Physics. He has published and lectured extensively in the field, including collaborative work at Fermilab, CERN and Oxford, and on one occasion with the Institute of High Energy Physics of the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing.
- Patent prosecution and portfolio management for medical device startup, with successful licensing arrangement for products covered under newly-issued US patents.
- Patent prosecution and portfolio management for rapidly growing, high-end beauty products client, increased in less than one year from a single US patent to more than two dozen issued patents, design registrations, and new applications.
- IP analysis for private equity client, resulting in seven-figure investments in successful high-tech startups (defense-related and renewable energy industries).
- Provided legal review of draft guidelines for electrical engineering client, with goal to reduce potential liability related to industry standards.
- Patent prosecution and portfolio management for established electrical engineering client, generating more than fifty patent grants over most recent two-year period (cloud-based and secure data storage technologies).
- Defended against ex parte review of issued patent for medical device client, resulting in confirmation of all originally allowed claims (medical imaging technology).
- Successful defense against well-known “trolls” asserting patents against food services and insurance industry clients, without litigation, financial settlement, or required licensing agreement.
- Provided key litigation support and research services in successful defense of aerospace client, with nearly $4bn patent infringement claim dismissed on summary judgment.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Clean Technology
- Electric Power
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Mining & Natural Resources
- Non-Profit & Tax Exempt Organizations
- Oil & Gas
- Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & Management