BILL'S PRACTICE FOCUSES ON CORPORATE LAW AND MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS.
Bill has been a partner in the Corporate group for over twenty-five years, and is chair of the Closely Held Businesses practice group and co-chair of the Mergers & Acquisitions practice group. His practice focuses on corporate law and mergers and acquisitions for both publicly held and closely held companies. He serves as general counsel for numerous small and medium-size businesses without in-house counsel.
Bill has substantial experience in advising clients on corporate formations, financings, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, commercial contracts, shareholder agreements, shareholder disputes, succession planning and tax planning.
Bill is a past member of the firm's Policy Committee for eight years (2003-2011) and currently a member of the Board of Directors of Dorsey & Whitney Foundation. He is also the current Chair of the Board of Trustees of the Science Museum of Minnesota, and is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Walker Art Center. He is a past Chair of the Minneapolis Regional Chamber of Commerce, having served on its board from 2007 to 2015.
Education & Admissions
University of Iowa College of Law (J.D., 1983), with distinction
Senior Articles Editor, Iowa Law Review
St. Olaf College (B.A., Economics, 1980), with honors
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, Chief Judge Donald Lay
- Mayo Clinic
- UnitedHealth Group, Inc.
- Thomson Reuters
- SUPERVALU INC.
- C. H. Robinson Worldwide, Inc.
- The Schwan Food Company
- Cretex Companies, Inc.
- Brock White Company
- DecoPac, Inc.
- Personnel Decisions International Corporation
- Minnetronix, Inc.
- Concordia International Corp.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Adjunct Professor of Law, Corporations, Hamline Law School
Adjunct Professor of Law, Business Planning, St. Thomas Law School
Lecturer at legal education seminars on mergers and acquisitions, corporate formations and shareholder disputes
Industries & Practices
- Closely Held Businesses
- Emerging Companies
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Health Care
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
Professional & Civic
- Member, Minnesota Bar Association
- Member, Hennepin County Bar Association
- Current and Prior Board of Directors:
- Science Museum of Minnesota (Chair of the Board and Member of Executive Committee)
- Walker Art Center (Member of Acquisition Committee, Finance Committee and Chair of Corporate Giving Committee)
- Dorsey & Whitney Foundation (Secretary, Treasurer)
- Minneapolis Regional Chamber of Commerce (2007-2015; Chair 2013 and 2014)
- Minneapolis Downtown Council (2013-2014)
- Junior Achievement of the Upper Midwest (2002-2008)
- Rochester Public Library Foundation (1996-2002; Past Chair)
- Rochester Public School Foundation (1998-2002)