When the situation demands it, Drew tenaciously represents his clients in high-stakes employment litigation in courts in Minnesota and across the country. But when a dispute is avoidable, Drew taps his experience as in-house counsel and works alongside his clients to proactively solve problems.
Drew has deep experience litigating employment issues on behalf of his clients in federal and state courts, including discrimination, harassment, hostile work environment, retaliation and reprisal, wrongful termination, breach of restrictive covenants, misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of contract, tortious interference with contract, wage and hour, disability, and unemployment claims. Drew’s experience extends to claims under laws including the Minnesota Human Rights Act (“MHRA”), Title VII, Title IX, Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (“ERISA”), Equal Pay Act (“EPA”) and Minnesota’s Equal Pay for Equal Work law, and Minnesota Whistleblower Act. Drew also represents his clients in appellate proceedings.
Education & Admissions
University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., 2010)
Marquette University (B.A., Criminology and Law Studies; Political Science, 2007)
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- Judicial Externship, Ramsey County District Court, Honorable Robert A. Awsumb
- Portz, et al. v. St. Cloud State Univ., et al., Case No. 16-CV-01115 (JRT/LIB) (D. Minn. Aug. 1, 2019): After seven-day trial, Court finds St. Cloud State University in violation of Title IX and grants permanent injunction ordering immediate improvements to SCSU's athletics department, including maintaining women's tennis and Nordic skiing teams, renovation of practice and competition facilities, improvements to women's locker rooms, and more. Media coverage of this case includes: http://www.startribune.com/federal-judge-st-cloud-state-athletics-fails-to-provide-equal-opportunity-to-women/513523522/.
- Miller v. The Bd. of Regents of the Univ. of Minnesota, Case No. 15-CV-03740 (PJS/LIB) (D. Minn. Mar. 15, 2018): After an eight-day jury trial on behalf of legendary UMD women’s hockey coach Shannon Miller, the jury awards Miller $3,744,832 in damages, and a judge awards her an additional $461,278 in front pay. Media coverage of this case includes: https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/crime-and-courts/4418059-big-day-women-jury-sides-miller-orders-umd-pay-374-million.
- McGuire v. Bowlins, et al., Case No. A18-0167 (Minn. Sept. 4, 2019): In a decision described as “groundbreaking,” the Minnesota Supreme Court concludes that Nathan McGuire, the former girls’ basketball coach at Woodbury High School, is not a “public official” or “public figure,” and allows his defamation claim against the parent of a student-athlete to proceed to trial. Drew represented Nathan at the district court and Minnesota Court of Appeals levels before joining Dorsey. Media coverage of this case includes: http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-supreme-court-ruling-limits-criticism-of-public-high-school-coaches/559406292/.
- Before joining Dorsey, Drew was a litigation associate at another law firm, where he handled employment litigation, sports-related lawsuits, civil rights matters, and commercial litigation. Before that, Drew was assistant counsel at a broker/dealer and registered investment adviser, and he also has experience as a criminal defense attorney. Drew’s representative litigation described above includes results from before he joined Dorsey.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Quoted in Duluth News Tribune article entitled, “UMD Discrimination Lawsuit Set to Return to Court,” Nov. 12, 2016.
- Quoted in St. Cloud Times article entitled, “Hearing Set on SCSU Tennis Team Lawsuit,” May 4, 2016.
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- ERISA Litigation
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations
- Labor & Employment
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement