Greg works with his clients to obtain the best litigation outcome. And while most intellectual property and commercial litigation disputes resolve short of trial, Greg prepares all of his client’s cases for trial. As lead trial counsel for his clients, Greg has secured multi-million dollar verdicts and arbitration awards in bet-the-company litigation and he has prosecuted and defended cases seeking damage awards in excess of one-hundred million dollars.
Greg’s aggressive approach has proven successful many times over, and has been lauded by independent rating organizations, by other lawyers and most importantly, by Greg’s clients. Greg has been recognized three times by U.S. News & World Reports’ Best Lawyers’ “Lawyer of the Year” in Scottsdale, Arizona for Patent Litigation (an honor bestowed on only one attorney each year). Greg also ranks as a “Southwest Super Lawyer” in intellectual property litigation. And he holds an “AV Preeminent Rating” (the highest possible rating) from Martindale-Hubbell.
Greg has taught continuing legal education courses to attorneys across the United States and he has served as an adjunct law professor, teaching courses in intellectual property.
Education & Admissions
University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law (J.D., 2004), cum laude
University of Arizona (B.A., 2001)
- Supreme Court of Arizona
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Arizona
- United States District Court for the District of Arkansas
- Lead counsel for client asserting patent rights against infringers across the United States.
- Coordinated intellectual property enforcement of copyrights for major motion picture studios in Arizona courts.
- Obtained unanimous jury verdict for client at trial on claims for trademark infringement and cybersquatting.
- Successfully represented clients at trial, obtaining multi-million dollar judgment.
- Obtained complete defense jury verdict at trial for client.
- Awarded summary judgment for plaintiff on all affirmative claims, leaving just the amount of damages for trial.
- Obtained dismissal of patent infringement suit brought against a client after serving Rule 11 motion on opposing party and its attorneys.
- Successfully represented client in front of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals to obtain reversal of lower court’s judgment dismissing Lanham Act false advertising claims.
- Defended an internet-based business against claims that it unfairly competed by allegedly publishing fictitious internet reviews.
- Obtained a $7.5 million verdict against a self-proclaimed internet troll for internet defamation.
- Represented an Arizona based business in Trademark Trial and Appeal Board proceedings.
- Successfully defended a group of credit unions in multi-jurisdictional patent infringement action.
- Represented a major producer of cosmetic botanical ingredients in a variety of intellectual property matters.
- Defended an Arizona based company in a copyright infringement suit relating to the resale of allegedly grey-market goods.
- Prevailed in National Advertising Division Arbitration proceeding for client related to allegations of false advertising.
- Successfully defended a national bank against plaintiffs seeking to enforce sham arbitration awards.
- Represented a business in its Digital Millennium Copyright Act claims seeking to identify the anonymous author of copyrighted material posted on a website.
- Represented a software design company in copyright infringement and unfair competition suits.
- Represented an audio visual company in its claims against former employees asserting unfair competition and trade secret claims.
- Defended a surgical practice against claims related to the practice’s buy-out of a former physician member.
- Represented Arizona based business in its defense of Lanham Act false advertising claims brought by competitor.
- Successfully obtained temporary and permanent injunctions in favor of a Fortune 500 company barring competitors from misappropriating trademarks.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- “Protecting Your Company’s Reputation: Online Defamation Strategies that Work and When to Use Them,” Association of Corporate Counsel, December 2016
- “Did Deflategate Take the Air Out of Binding Arbitration,” Corporate Disputes Financier Worldwide, 2015
- “Left Shark Wades Into The Unsettled Waters of Copyright Law,” Record Reporter, 2015
- “Purposes Not Prohibited,” New Federal Rule of Evidence 408(b), CREIGHTON L. REV. 679, June 2007
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Presented a mock Markman hearing for Arizona Intellectual Bar Section for the Arizona State Bar, CLE in the Gardens, March 2017
- AdWars: Avoiding, Defending & Prosecuting Lanham Act False Advertising Claims, Association of Corporate Counsel, October 2016
- Mr. Collins is relied upon by several news organizations to provide commentary regarding intellectual property and internet related legal issues.
Industries & Practices
- Antitrust & Competition Law
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Electronic Discovery
- Emerging Companies
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Franchise & Distribution Law
- Government Solutions & Investigations
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & Management
- Real Estate Litigation
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement
- Trademark & Copyright
Professional & Civic
- Greg is a member of Scottsdale Leadership Class XXX.
- He is an active member of the community, having organized community fundraisers for local organizations, including STARS: an organization that helps developmentally disabled individuals integrate into the community.
- Member of the Maricopa Bar Association’s Technology & Intellectual Property division
- Member of the Arizona Bar Association’s Committees on Intellectual Property and Trial Practice.
- Adjunct Law Professor, Intellectual Property, 2012-2015
- United States Senate Judiciary Committee, Office of Senator Jon Kyl
- “Lawyer of the Year” Patent Litigation in Scottsdale, Arizona, The Best Lawyers in America©, 2019, 2021, 2023, and 2024
- The Best Lawyers in America©– Intellectual Property Litigation, 2018-2024
- The Best Lawyers in America© – Patent Litigation, 2018-2024
- Southwest SuperLawyers Intellectual Property Litigation, 2015-2023
- Top Lawyers in Arizona – Arizona Magazine, 2015-2023
- America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators, 2018-2019
- Top 50 bench verdicts Arizona, 2016
- Southwest Rising Stars – Intellectual Property Litigation, 2008-2014
- Arizona Civil Jury Instructions Committee – Arizona State Bar, 2012-2015
- Member Arizona’s Finest Lawyers
- AV Preeminent Rating – Martindale-Hubbell