William R. Stoeri
Bill practiced law at Dorsey for over 30 years before taking its helm. During that time, he served as litigation counsel to some of the world’s most successful and innovative organizations. He credits those clients with teaching him valuable lessons about service and leadership, lessons he keeps at the forefront as he leads Dorsey-- our clients are our top concern, teamwork and cooperation are essential to success, and an organization’s people must be valued and provided with opportunities to succeed.
Bill is committed to continuing Dorsey’s robust investment in diversity and inclusion and has supported the implementation of policies that further that cause, such as the firm’s “Diversity Hours" policy which allows associates to count work and training that promotes diversity toward their billable hours requirements.
Innovation is also a top priority for Bill. As a member of the firm’s Management Committee, he supported the addition of an Innovation and Knowledge Management Department, and as Managing Partner, he has appointed the firm’s first Innovation Partner to lead the firm’s efforts in developing better and faster ways to serve our clients and provide exceptional value.
Bill finds that one of the most rewarding parts of serving as Dorsey’s Managing Partner is learning about our clients’ businesses from the people who help run them. If you are one of those people, or have questions about Dorsey, he would welcome your call.
Education & Admissions
Yale Law School (J.D., 1982)
University of Erlangen - Nürnberg, Germany (DAAD Scholarship)
Kalamazoo College (B.A., 1978), summa cum laude, Honors in History and Philosophy
Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, Diana E. Murphy, 1982-1984
- Sherr v. HealthEast, et al. (represented healthcare system and individual physicians in federal court action arising out of peer review proceedings; obtained Rule 12 dismissal of antitrust, peer review, and privacy claims.)
- In Re UnitedHealth Group PBM Litigation (represented pharmacy benefits manager in claims for benefits, prohibited transactions, and breaches of fiduciary duty based upon alleged fiduciary breaches, disloyalty, and prohibited transactions in receipt of “spread” from pharmacies; obtained Rule 12 dismissal.)
- Denson Int’l v. Liberty Diversified International (represented defendant manufacturer in federal court case alleging theft of trade secrets relating to manufacturing processes in China; obtained summary judgment)
- Represented health care providers in numerous malpractice jury trials, including recently:
- Represented health care provider against plaintiffs’ allegation of nursing negligence when post-surgical patient died of sleep apnea. Jury verdict of no negligence.
- Represented health care provider against plaintiffs’ allegation that pulmonologist, who saw patient the day before she died of a pulmonary embolism, was negligent for not sending the patient for an emergency CT scan. Jury verdict of no negligence.
- Represented health care provider against plaintiffs’ allegation of negligence in care of patient who committed suicide after escaping from a supervised walk while an inpatient in the psychiatric ward. Jury verdict of no negligence.
- Represented health care provider against allegation of negligence in care of patient with a complicated medical history, including a rare form of leukemia, who died unexpectedly 15 hours after routine surgery. Jury verdict of no negligence.
- Kern v. Allina/Peterson v. Fairview (represented healthcare defendants in attempted class action regarding uninsured patients; class certification denied)
- Olson v. Supervalu (represented grocery chain in consumer fraud class action; obtained summary judgment)
- Lee v. Fairview (represented healthcare provider in False Claims case; obtained summary judgment affirmed on appeal)
- Whyte v. American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (represented physician certification board against allegations arising from physician discipline; obtained summary judgment)
- Marvin Windows v. PPG v. Elf Atochem (represented third -party defendant in products liability case; obtained summary judgment)
- BASF v. Valspar Corp. (represented Valspar in international arbitration before Zurich Chamber of Commerce in trade secret case)
- Schacher v. American Academy of Ophthalmology (part of team representing national standard setting organization in antitrust case; defense verdict after four week trial, affirmed on appeal)
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
Has lectured at numerous Continuing Legal Education seminars, Continuing Medical Education seminars, and has given corporate education presentations
Industries & Practices
Healthcare & Life SciencesExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Energy & Natural ResourcesExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Intellectual Property LitigationExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
International Arbitration & LitigationExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Healthcare Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- International Arbitration & Litigation
- Products Liability
Professional & Civic
- Reviewer, Mayo Clinic Proceedings peer-review medical journal
- Minnesota Historical Society Executive Council (governing board) 2003-2018
- President 2009-2015
- Immediate Past President 2016-2018
- Past Chair of Governance Committee
- Past Chair of Programs Committee
- Kalamazoo College Board of Trustees 2005-present
- Chair of Risk Review Committee
- Past Chair of Academic Affairs Committee
- Kalamazoo College Alumni Association Executive Board
- President 2012-2014
- Minnesota Supreme Court Historical Society Board of Directors 2012-2017
- 1 for 2 Education Foundation Board Member 2017-present
- Served on Federal Magistrate Judge Reappointment Panel