Mike has substantial experience representing broker-dealers, investment advisors, investment banks, and other financial institutions in a variety of securities matters from federal class actions to sales-practice and regulatory matters before FINRA. Mike also assists clients execute fast-moving internal investigations, and in some cases, the resulting enforcement actions brought by the DOJ, SEC, VA, and other state and local agencies.
Prior to joining Dorsey, Mike practiced at one of Chicago’s largest law firms. And prior to attending law school, Mike was a certified public accountant (inactive) at an international accounting firm in Minneapolis and Chicago.
Education & Admissions
Northwestern University School of Law (2011), cum laude
Indiana University (B.S., Accounting and Finance, 2003), with Distinction
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, Honorable Michael Kanne, 2011-2012
- Counsel to Special Committee of medical-equipment manufacturer in internal investigation concerning alleged accounting fraud.
- Counsel to Board of Directors of medical-device manufacturer in negotiating and resolving parallel enforcement action alleging improper gratuities paid to federal employees.
- Counsel to Special Litigation Committee concerning alleged sabotage of a corporate opportunity.
- Counsel to Audit Committee of Oil & Gas company in internal investigation concerning alleged executive misconduct.
- Counsel to Special Committee to Board of Directors of national home-improvement provider concerning alleged executive misconduct.
- Counsel to Audit Committee of international technology company in internal investigation into unusual sales practices within the company’s Asia-Pacific supply chain.
- Counsel to large health insurer in asserting fraud and conspiracy claims against large provider network in Southern California.
- The Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals appointed Mike to represent an indigent habeas corpus petitioner. In a reported decision of first impression for the court, Mike won a complete reversal and remand. Davis v. Humphreys, 747 F.3d 497 (7th Cir. 2014).
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement