Pavlina supports clients by advising on a wide variety of labor and employment issues, including employment discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliation and wrongful discharge claims. She also helps clients with operations in multiple states comply with employment laws with special emphasis in the areas of wage and hour laws, the ADA, noncompetition agreements and handbooks and policies. She is skilled at dispute resolution, consistently achieving her client’s goals.
Where litigation cannot be avoided, she has successfully represented clients at all phases, from inception of lawsuit through settlement, including trial proceedings, appellate practice and arbitration. Pavlina’s thorough approach has contributed to a history of dismissals at early stages of litigation.
Education & Admissions
Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law (J.D., 1999), Graduated with Honors; National Trial Advocacy Team Member; Regional Champion, ABA National Trial Competition; National Quarterfinalist, ABA National Trial Competition
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (B.S., Business Administration, 1994)
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (General and Trial Bar)
- Defended employer against claims of discrimination based on race and religion, successfully obtaining dismissal of all claims.
- Defended employer against allegations of age discrimination, successfully negotiating a favorable settlement for the client and avoiding trial.
- Represented employer in a disability discrimination case, successfully obtaining a dismissal of all claims against her client.
- Successfully argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, obtaining not only a ruling in favor of her client, but also helping to set precedent in a disability discrimination case.
- Represented employer in federal appellate court, obtaining a dismissal by the court of all federal claims.
- Successfully defended allegations of unfair labor practices before the Illinois Labor Relations Board, obtaining a dismissal of all claims against her client.
- Defended employer in arbitration addressing various alleged violations of a collective bargaining agreement, obtaining a ruling in favor of the employer on all claims.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, Staying Ahead: Leaves of Absence and Disability Accommodations – Navigating Sticky Scenarios from Medical Marijuana to “Emotional Support” Animals and More, Costa Mesa, CA, May 22, 2019
- Speaker, Salary History and Pay Equity, Professionals in Human Resources Association, La Jolla, CA, January 30, 2019
- Speaker, Salary History and Pay Equity, Professionals in Human Resources Association, Burbank, CA, January 22, 2019
- Speaker, Salary History and Pay Equity, Professionals in Human Resources Association, Riverside, CA, January 16, 2019
- Speaker, Salary History and Pay Equity, Professionals in Human Resources Association, Anaheim, CA, January 10, 2019
Industries & Practices
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Labor & Employment