Laura counsels clients regarding compliance with the federal anti-kickback statute (AKS), Stark law, Medicare reimbursement issues and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). She has assisted clients with identifying and addressing physician compensation arrangements that potentially implicate the Stark law and/or AKS, including self-disclosure of such arrangements to the Department of Justice (DOJ), Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Laura also regularly represents clients seeking asylum and participates in the Firm’s International Human Rights Team.
Prior to joining the Firm, Laura was an associate in the health industry practice group of a large Chicago-based law firm. While in law school, Laura was a Beazley Institute for Health Law and Policy fellow, the editor at large of the Loyola University Chicago Law Journal, and an editorial staff member of the Annals of Health Law. She also served as a legal extern in the Office of General Counsel at a large Chicago health system. Prior to law school, Laura worked for the Department of Veterans Affairs in the Compensation and Pension Benefits Division.
Click here to read recent blog posts on the Dorsey Health Law Blog.
- Identified violations of the Stark law by target entities during due diligence and advised regarding self-disclosure of such violations to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Assisted client with a self-disclosure to the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) regarding physician compensation arrangements potentially implicating the Stark law and Anti-Kickback Statute (AKS)
- Assisted client with a settlement with the Department of Justice (DOJ) related to a self-disclosure and qui tam actions regarding physician compensation arrangements potentially implicating the Stark law
- Prepared and advised regarding comprehensive Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance program implementation materials for multiple clients
- Provided counsel related to federal health care program fraud and abuse and Medicare reimbursement matters to provider organizations and private equity firms in acquisitions of hospitals and single- and multi-specialty physician group practices
- Assisted client with successfully obtaining grant of asylum in the United States
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Sweeping Changes to the Stark and Anti-Kickback Regulations: Final Rules for Hospitals
- Iowa Hospital Association 2020 Governance Forum, Regulatory Sprint to Coordinated Care
- Iowa Hospital Association 2020 Governance Webinar Series – Fraud and Abuse
Industries & Practices
- Healthcare Transactions & Regulations
Professional & Civic
- American Health Law Association (AHLA) member (2010 to present); Leadership Development Program Participant – Fraud & Abuse Practice Group (2020–2021)
- Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA) Health Law Section member (2016 to present); Health Law Section Council Member (2020–2022)
- Minnesota Women Lawyers member (2016 to present)
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys member (2010–2016)
- National Immigrant Justice Center Junior Leadership Board (2013–2016)
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law Young Alumni Committee