CRIS HELPS GOVERNMENTAL AND PRIVATE CLIENTS ACHIEVE THEIR STRATEGIC BUSINESS GOALS THROUGH FINANCING TRANSACTIONS, PUBLIC-PRIVATE PARTNERSHIPS AND GOVERNMENTAL COMPLIANCE.
A partner in Dorsey’s Public Finance Group, Cris practices in the areas of municipal law, state governmental law, and governmental and private activity financings. Cris has several years of experience in a variety of public finance transactions and structures, including general obligation bonds, revenue bonds, USDA financings, private activity financings, lease purchase structures, working capital financings, pooled financing structures, credit enhanced structures, economic development and public/private partnerships.
Cris serves as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel, borrower’s counsel and bank counsel on a wide range of private activity and governmental financing transactions, including issuances for private and governmental hospitals and other health care entities, 501(c)(3) entities, state-wide associations, intergovernmental entities, manufacturing facilities, public and private colleges and multi-family residential rental facilities. Cris also has a general municipal finance practice for cities, counties, rural water districts, utilities and school corporations. Cris also provides legal advice regarding securities law, open meetings/public records laws, public bidding laws, economic development issues, contracting issues and other legal matters.
Cris also works with private and governmental clients regarding post issuance compliance and IRS audits regarding tax-exempt financing transactions.
Cris serves in a leadership role at Dorsey, serving on the Firm’s Professional Practice Committee.
Education & Admissions
University of Iowa (Bachelor of Business Administration, 1991)
Drake University Law School (J.D., with honors, 1994), Order of the Coif
Drake Law Review Note Editor, 1993-94; Drake Law Review Junior Staff Member, 1992-93
ATLA Mock Trial Team, 1993-94
- U.S. District Court for the District of Iowa
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Webinar: Annual Training, Municipal Securities Disclosure, Spring 2015
- “Post Issuance Compliance Procedures for Tax Exempt Obligations: Are You Ready for an IRS Audit?” LeadingAge Iowa Fall Conference, October 9, 2013
- “Legal Issues for Municipal Finance-the Basics and Beyond,” co-presenter, Iowa Municipal Professionals Academy, July 25, 2013
- “Project Finance 101,” co-presenter, Iowa Rural Water Association, 38th Annual Conference, February 19, 2013
- “Hospital Construction Projects: Digging Through the Regulatory and Financing Morass,” co-presenter, Iowa Hospital Association Annual Meeting, Iowa Hospital Association, Annual Meeting, October 9, 2012
Industries & Practices
- Health Care
- Lending Transactions
- Non-Profit & Tax Exempt Organizations
- Project Development & Finance
- Public Finance
- Public-Private Partnerships
Professional & Civic
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Iowa Bar Association
- Chair, Governmental Practice Section Council (2007-2009)
- Polk County Bar Association
- Member, Public Relations Committee (2007-2008)
- Council of School Attorneys
- Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute, Graduate, Class of 2012
- Broadlawns Medical Center Advocacy Circle Member