Helen’s legal practice involves litigation with a focus on financial institutions and structured financial instruments. Helen represents financial institutions in cross-border litigation, shareholder derivative litigation, and antitrust litigation; has advised financial institutions on legal risks and remediation strategies related to the LIBOR (London Interbank Offered Rate) transition; and has counseled fintech companies and cryptocurrency service providers on compliance with federal and state laws relating to reporting, payment systems and fund transfers.
As a bilingual lawyer trained in the United States and China, Helen has also represented American and Chinese companies in general commercial disputes.
Earlier in her career, Helen worked in the international arbitration group of a Legal 500 law firm based in London, served with the World Bank International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), and was a scholar at the Hong Kong International Arbitration Center (HKIAC).
Education & Admissions
Harvard Law School (LL.M., 2018), Harvard – FY Chang Scholarship
Peking University School of Transnational Law (J.D. (U.S. Law) / J.M. (Chinese Law), 2017)
Beijing Foreign Studies University (B.A., 2013)
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Chinese Mandarin
- Represented a global systemically important bank (GSIB) and its affiliates to obtain dismissal of a putative antitrust class action alleging that horizontal competitors conspired to restrain the trade of odd-lots of corporate bonds in the secondary market.*
- Represented a GSIB and its affiliates in five related class action lawsuits pending in a New York federal court brought by hundreds of shareholders of an offshore mutual fund and related entities asserting multiple causes of actions.*
- Represented a foreign bank in a New York federal court lawsuit involving claims under the Anti-Terrorism Act.
- Represented the federal branch of a foreign bank in an interpleader action in relation to customer fraud.
- Conduct risk assessment for a GSIB with respect to enterprise-wide portfolios impacted by the LIBOR transition, including conducting portfolio-wide risk impact assessments, analyzing various consumer products, and developing litigation contingency plans.*
- Handle an array of matters for financial institutions including compliance with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) regulations, privacy laws, and the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanction programs.
*Representations occurred prior to rejoining Dorsey
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- “Issues Under the Electronic Fund Transfer Act and Regulation E,” CLE Program for Apple Bank For Savings, February 11, 2020
- Panelist, “U.S.-China Venture Capital in an Era of National Security Challenges,” Rhodium Group and National Committee on U.S. China Relations (NCUSCR), January 15, 2020
- Panelist, “Fighting Corruption in Commodity Trading Through Blockchain Technology,” The Global Anti-Corruption and Integrity Forum, hosted annually by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) in Paris, France, March 20-21, 2019
Industries & Practices
Banking & Financial InstitutionsExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Financial Services RegulatoryExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Foreign Banks and Financial InstitutionsExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Securities & Financial Services Litigation & EnforcementExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG)Explore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG)
- Financial Services Regulatory
- Foreign Banks and Financial Institutions
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement