Robert specializes in assisting clients in the development and construction of complex commercial and industrial projects, including the preparation of all contracts necessary to bring the project to fruition. In addition to general construction projects, Robert specializes in all phases of the development and construction of alternative energy and renewable energy projects, ranging from early-stage development to leading M&A transactions involving the acquisition or sale of a project. He has served as lead counsel in the development of numerous wind energy projects, solar energy projects, hydrogen energy projects, and natural gas-fired energy production facilities.
Robert's experience includes business contracts, complex construction projects, procurement contracts, engineering services agreements, operations and maintenance agreements, real estate development, business formations, joint ventures, and mergers and acquisitions.
Robert also serves as outside general counsel to a number of companies, providing legal and governance advice to the management and the board of directors of those clients. As a trusted advisor, he assists his clients in achieving their business objectives in the context of the increasingly complex legal environment in which businesses operate today.
He is a member of the Firm's Real Estate and Development Practice Group, the Construction and Design Practice Group, the Food and Beverage Industry Group, and the Cooperative Law Practice Group.
Robert is the former Head Partner of the Firm’s Denver office. Robert represents businesses throughout the United States.
- The formation and restructuring of numerous businesses, including Limited Liability Companies, Corporations and Cooperatives;
- The Construction and development of major production facilities, buildings, roadways, renewable energy projects, agricultural facilities, sports facilities, and other real estate development projects;
- Mergers and acquisitions of businesses and business units;
- Negotiating and documenting numerous joint ventures, business alliances, production agreements, and procurement contracts;
- The development and construction of renewable resource facilities, electric power generation, and alternative fuel production facilities, including solar, bioenergy, and both small scale (10 MW) and large scale (200 MW) wind farms; and
- The drafting of marketing, supply, transportation, and general vendor contracts.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
Industries & Practices
- Construction & Design
- Cooperative Law
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Development & Infrastructure
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Project Development & Finance
- Public-Private Partnerships
Professional & Civic
- Board of Directors, Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition (2015-present)
- Board of Directors, The Jungle Theater (2008-2011)
- Boy Scouts of America, Unit Committee Chair (2006-2009)
- Park Commissioner, City of Shorewood (2006-2009)
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee, Minneapolis Regional Chamber of Commerce (2004-2007)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of St. Thomas School of Law
(Business Planning) (2003-2005)
- National Society of Accountants for Cooperatives (2002-present)
- Chairman, St. Paul Chamber of Commerce Ambassadors (1994-1995)
- President and Chairman, SteppingStone Theatre for Youth (1996-1997)
- Board of Directors, Minnesota Landmarks (1997-1999)
- Board of Governors, Minnesota State Bar Association, Construction Law Section (1996-1997)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America©, 2021-2024
- Contributed more than 50+ Challenge pro bono hours, 2022
- Listed as a Minnesota Super Lawyer, 2003
- Listed as a "Rising Star" by Minnesota Super Lawyers, 1998, 2001
- Listed in Who’s Who in America
- Rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell®