Matthew is a litigator in the Trial Group in London with over 12 years’ experience. He specialises in commercial litigation, arbitration and dispute resolution and has broad experience of international and domestic disputes. He was selected for the 2014 London Super Lawyers list.
He joined Dorsey & Whitney in April 2006, having previously worked for six years at Slaughter and May. Prior to this, Matthew practiced at the English Bar as a barrister specialising in criminal defence and prosecution.
He is a member of the Electronic Discovery Practice Group. He has particular expertise in:
- contractual disputes
- banking and financial services litigation, including swap mis-selling claims
- fraud investigations and prosecutions
- international arbitration
- oil and gas disputes
- regulatory investigations and prosecutions
- enforcement of employee post-termination restrictions
- Acting for the UK subsidiary of large multinational in a swap mis-selling claim against a UK bank.
- Acting for an international bank in successful proceedings to enforce security following breach of a loan agreement.
- Acting for a listed US oil and gas company in an UNCITRAL arbitration against an Eastern European state, in which our client was claiming damages of approximately US$1 billion. The case proceeded to a hearing in February 2013.
- Porton Capital Technology Funds and others v 3M UK Holdings Ltd and 3M Company  All ER (D) 171 (Nov) 2895 (Comm) – Acting for 3M in this claim arising from the acquisition by 3M of a device for testing for MRSA. The issues included whether 3M was in breach of an earn out provision in the contract by the way that it conducted its business manufacturing and selling the product, whether 3M was entitled to cease the business and what sales would have been achieved. The case was widely reported in the media for the meeting which the former UK Secretary of State for Defence Liam Fox held with a representative of the Claimants which ultimately led to the Secretary of State's resignation.
- Consub Delaware LLC v. Schahin Engenharia Limitada  – Acting for a subsidiary of SIEM Offshore in a dispute arising from a contract for the maintenance of transatlantic subsea telecommunications cables.
- 889457 Alberta Inc v. Katanga Mining Limited and Others  EWHC 2679 (Comm) – Acting for Canadian mineral mining company in a dispute with one Bermudan and two British Virgin Island companies as to the ownership of shares in a mining company registered in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The dispute raised complex jurisdictional arguments and questions of Congolese law.
- Acting on defamation proceedings brought on behalf of a publicly listed client.
- Acting for FTSE 100 company in a fraud claim against a former employee and sub-contractors, including applying for freezing and search orders and supervising ancillary proceedings in various offshore jurisdictions.
- Mahonia Limited and JP Morgan Chase Bank -v- WestLB AG  EWHC 1938 (Comm);  All ER (D) 10 (Aug) - Acting for the Claimants in a successful action to enforce a $165 million letter of credit issued as security for a complex structured finance transaction entered into by the Claimants and a subsidiary of Enron Corp.
- Acting for clients in disputes with former employees, enforcing employee post-termination restrictions.
- Acting for a FTSE 100 company in a Financial Services Authority investigation into suspected market abuse.
- Conducting a case in the Technology and Construction Court concerning the alleged breach of environmental warranties.
Matthew is the London office’s pro bono co-ordinator. He has a particular interest in representing Jamaican prisoners serving life sentences in appeals to the Privy Council. He has conducted a number of such appeals including Noel Campbell v The Queen  UKPC 26, Peter Stewart v The Queen  UKPC 11 and Jason Lawrence v The Queen  UKPC 2.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Antitrust & Competition Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction & Design
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Electronic Discovery
- International Arbitration & Litigation
- Securities & Financial Services Litigation & Enforcement