Walter is a Partner in the Intellectual Property group and serves as head of the firm’s Palo Alto office.
Walter specializes in patent prosecution and portfolio strategy for emerging companies in the life sciences, and patent due diligence for life science investors. His clients and target companies are active in the digital health, medical diagnostics, bioinformatics, ophthalmic, wound care and ENT fields. His transactional experience includes Alcon’s licensing of the Google Smart Lens technology and Auris Surgical Robotics’ acquisition of Hansen Medical. He has developed patent strategies for inter partes reviews and litigation matters involving surgical robots and prosthetic limbs, and is an expert on clinical, marketing and biostatistical issues relating to biotech and pharmaceutical patent litigation, including trial experience in Pfizer Inc. v. Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd. involving Lipitor.
Walter received his medical degree from the UC Davis School of Medicine, where he was a UC Regents Scholar. During medical school, he completed policy fellowships at the National Governors' Association and the Food and Drug Administration. Walter is a licensed physician and was board-certified in internal medicine from 2000 to 2010. Before attending law school, he was a chief resident and clinical instructor at the UCLA School of Medicine.
Patent prosecution and strategy work for:
- Jenesis Surgical, acquired by Edwards Lifesciences Corp.
- Spiracur Inc., acquired by KCI Licensing, Inc.
- Ciel Medical, Inc., acquired by Vyaire Medical, Inc.
Investor patent due diligence on:
- Internet-connected glucometers and inhalers
- Accommodating intra-ocular lenses
- Cloud-based genomics analysis
- surgical robotics
- limb prosthetics
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
- Panelist, Berkeley - Stanford Advanced Patent Law Institute: Silicon Valley, “Section 112/Means Plus Function Claiming,” December 6, 2016
- Speaker, Life Sciences Seminar Series, “Connections and Collaborations: High Tech + Life Sciences,” January 13, 2015
- Speaker, Oxbridge Biotech Roundtable OneStart Biotech Boot Camp, February 8, 2014
- Speaker, ITRI-Biodesign Alumni Association, “Medtech Ventures: Cross-Border Investment and Partnering Trends – Intellectual Property Development,” October 10, 2013
- Moderator, SARTA, “The Future of Health & Medicine: Where Can Technology Take Us?,” May 14, 2013
- Panelist, USC Gould School of Law’s Annual Institute for Corporate Counsel, “Intellectual Property and the In-House Lawyer: Current Issues and Strategies,” December 5, 2012
- Speaker, ITRI, “Medical Devices: Current Trends, Patent Strategy & IP Due Diligence,” December 2, 2012
- Moderator, Silicon Valley-China Wireless Technology Association, “Roll Out Your Mobile Apps for Health & Fitness,” May 8, 2012
Industries & Practices
Energy & Natural ResourcesExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Food, Beverage & AgribusinessExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Healthcare & Life SciencesExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Intellectual Property LitigationExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & ManagementExplore This Practice View client achievements related to this practice View resources related to this practice
- Emerging Companies
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Prosecution, Portfolio Strategy & Management
- Products Liability