Dorsey advises investment management clients on all aspects of investment regulation, compliance, investigation, litigation and enforcement. Our multidisciplinary team of lawyers leverages years of experience and deep knowledge of the industry and its many regulators, including the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), State Securities Regulators, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the Commodities Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), the National Futures Association (NFA) and other self-regulatory organizations.
We provide comprehensive advice on securities regulatory matters, domestic and offshore private fund formation and international and domestic tax structuring and reporting. When needed, our global platform of sophisticated practices allows us to draw upon deep experience across the firm in the related areas of cybersecurity, anti-money laundering and foreign corrupt practices act compliance, government enforcement, corporate investigations and securities and financial services litigation.
Our clients include investment advisers, domestic and foreign broker-dealers, private equity funds, hedge funds, registered investment companies and their independent boards, structured product sponsors and other financial institutions.
We advise clients on issues unique to the securities industry, including:
- International, federal and state licenses, registrations and reports, including: Form ADV, Form D, Form PF, TIC Forms, Form BD, Forms U-4 and U-5;
- Investment Management, separately managed account and subadvisor agreements;
- Development of compliance programs and supervisory procedures and assisting CCOs with ongoing compliance matters, annual reviews, and internal investigations;
- Mock audits, regulatory examinations and investigations;
- Fiduciary duties, conflicts of interest and prevention of insider trading;
- Volcker Rule;
- Sales practices, advertising, marketing and client communications;
- Trading practices, and Exchange Act reporting requirements, including Section 13 (Schedules 13D, 13F, 13G and 13H), Section 16 (Forms 3, 4 and 5) reports;
- Formation and offerings of private investment funds and registered investment companies;
- Personnel issues including partnership, employment, consulting, confidentiality, and compensation agreements;
- Mergers, acquisitions, restructuring and other business transactions; and
- Third-party service provider agreements.
Industries & Practices
- Anti-Corruption Group
- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Capital Markets
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Government Solutions & Investigations
- Investment Funds
- Private Equity