Much of Fara’s practice involves working with clients to navigate complex legal issues on social media that implicate federal and state laws in the areas of intellectual property and advertising. She is particularly known for her deep knowledge of promotions law, and regularly helps clients develop sweepstakes, complex contests of skill and user-generated content promotions on social media. Fara also works with clients to review their advertising and marketing materials both in print and online to ensure their ad claims are fair and substantiated. In the area of influencer advertising, Fara frequently counsels clients on the Federal Trade Commission’s guidelines on endorsements and testimonials, conducts training for social media and marketing teams and drafts influencer contracts.
In addition, Fara’s expertise extends to all stages of the brand management process, including trademark selection, clearance, prosecution, maintenance, enforcement and litigation. In the World Trademark Review 1000 rankings for 2022, Fara was heralded by clients and her peers as “a fantastic and thoughtful lawyer when it comes to trademark portfolio management. She is proactive, creative and an expert in wide-ranging matters that impact brands.” Fara also regularly represents clients in opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (the “TTAB”) and in federal court. Fara’s practice includes representation of clients in a wide array of industries, including alcoholic beverages, snack foods, cosmetics, industrial chemicals, fashion, video games, publishing, pharmaceuticals and financial services.
Fara is currently the chair of the Trademarks and Unfair Competition Committee at the Association of the Bar of the City of New York. Fara is also a co-editor and regular writer for Dorsey’s award-winning IP Blog, TheTMCA.com, which focuses on legal developments in the world of Trademarks, Copyrights and Advertising.
Education & Admissions
Fordham University School of Law (J.D., 2006), cum laude
Vassar College (B.A. Science, Technology & Society, 2000), Departmental Honors
- New York
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- Pierson v. Facebook, (S.D.N.Y. 2019). Represented Facebook against claims of copyright infringement brought by notorious “copyright troll” attorney Richard Liebowitz.
- GlaxoSmithKline LLC v. Laclede, Inc., (S.D.N.Y. 2019). Obtained preliminary injunction against ongoing use of confusingly similar advertising and promotional materials for competing dry mouth products.
- McKee Foods Kingman, Inc. v. Coastal Sunbelt Produce, LLC, (TTAB 2017). Prevailed in trademark opposition proceeding based on likelihood of confusion relating to the mark SUNBELT BAKERY for granola bars and other snacks.
- Atari Interactive, Inc. v. Greenberg (TTAB 2016). Prevailed in trademark opposition proceeding based on likelihood of confusion based on Atari’s HAUNTED HOUSE trademark.
- JA Men’s Group LLC v. JA Apparel Corp. (AAA 2015). Secured and collected award of $42.6 million in trademark licensing dispute.
- Jaguar Land Rover Limited v. A-Z Wheels LLC (S.D. Cal. 2014). Obtained permanent injunction and damages award on behalf of Jaguar Land Rover in action for trademark counterfeiting and copyright infringement involving defendants' advertising and sale of knock-off wheels.
- Half the Sky Foundation v. Half the Sky Movement, LLC, Show of Force, LLC, Force Films, LLC, Games for Change, Inc., Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn (S.D.N.Y. 2013). Defeated defendant’s motion to dismiss and obtained favorable settlement for Half the Sky Foundation.
- Bell's Brewery, Inc. v Winery Exchange, Inc. (E.D. Mich 2011). Obtained favorable settlement for Bell’s Brewery against a manufacturer of private label beer in a trademark infringement case.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Events & Speaking Engagements
- “Life in the New Digital World – Pitfalls and Opportunities,” Panel Member, Creative Industries Group Series, Dorsey & Whitney, September 2021
- “Influencers: Shifting Towards The Future,” Panel Member, New York State Bar Association, Entertainment Arts & Sports Law Section Spring Meeting, June 2021
- “Trademark Law for the Small Firm Practitioner,” Panel Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York, June 2021
- “Hot Issues in Patent, Trademark and Copyright Law in the Federal Courts,” Panel Member, New York County Lawyers Association, March 2019
- “On Your Marks: Frontline Issues in Trademark and Advertising Law,” Panel Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York, April 2017
- “Native Content and Influencer Advertising: The Business Why and The Legal How,” Panel Member, New York State Bar Association, Entertainment Arts & Sports Law Section, June 2016
- “On the Heels of the Week: The Status of Fashion Protection,” Panel Member, New York State Bar Association, Entertainment Arts & Sports Law Section, Fashion Law Committee, March 2012
Industries & Practices
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & Social Media
- Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Trademark, Copyright & Advertising
Professional & Civic
- Committee Chair, Trademarks and Unfair Competition, Association of the Bar of the City of New York, (2020-2023)
- Member, Brand Activation Legal Committee, Association of National Advertisers
- Member, International Trademark Association (INTA), Enforcement Committee, Judicial Administration and Trademark Litigation Subcommittee (2014-2017)
- Contributed more than 50 Challenge pro bono hours, 2020
- Recognized as a Leading Practitioner in World Trademark Review 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals, 2020-2022
- Dorsey & Whitney – Scales of Justice Team Award (Racial Justice Bronx Project), 2021
- Pro Bono Scales of Justice Award, 2011 & 2013