Steve’s work with real estate clients includes representation of conduit and other lenders and borrowers involved in the financing of commercial real estate. He also handles assumptions, defeasance transactions, loan modifications, REMIC issues, and other servicing issues for CMBS master servicers. Steve also handles pooling and servicing agreement compliance and review, real estate workouts receiverships, foreclosures, bankruptcies, asset dispositions, litigation, and lender remedy enforcement for various types of commercial lenders, including the representation of CMBS special servicers, and for various parties to non-real estate securitizations including trustees, administrative agents and noteholders.
Steve’s bankruptcy experience includes providing insolvency counsel to investors, assisting with the acquisition of companies through the Chapter 11 process, and representing debtors, secured creditors, and trustees and committees in various commercial and real estate bankruptcy proceedings. He has handled such bankruptcy litigation issues as preference and fraudulent transfer actions, automatic stay litigation, lien and priority disputes, contested confirmation proceedings, and bankruptcy appeals.
Steve also represents developers, owners, equity investors and other real estate professionals in every aspect of real estate ownership, development, construction, property management, leasing, acquisition and dispositions. He has handled real estate transactions involving various types of commercial property including retail, multifamily, industrial, hospitality, medical, self-storage, residential community development and mixed-use development.
- Multiple loans for CMBS and portfolio lenders involving various real estate classes, including multifamily, hotel, retail, office, self-storage and mixed use development.
- Contested Chapter 11 confirmation for senior lender involving Dallas office building resulting in confirmation being denied and ultimate foreclosure on the property.
- Office lease negotiations for various business tenants.
- Receivership actions for various senior lenders in various states resulting in lenders gaining control of the properties.
- Foreclosures for various lenders; both non-judicial and judicial foreclosures in various states.
- Interpleader action for senior lender who foreclosed on a property resulting in multimillion dollar award of entitlement to utility co-op capital credits.
- Loan Modification and Forbearance Agreements for both senior and mezzanine lenders throughout the United States.
- Large loan for international group secured by a large residential master development.
- Acquisitions and disposition of various commercial real estate properties throughout the United States.
News & Resources
News & Press Mentions
Industries & Practices
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Capital Markets
- Commercial Litigation
- Development & Infrastructure
- Lending Transactions
- Private Equity
- Real Estate & Land Use